Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Young coconuts? Radiated, Formaldehyde-dipped?:( !

MopokeMopoke Raw Newbie

Is this true!?
I was aghast to find this information as I cruised over some forum topics. In the one on ‘raw’ chocolate, it cites a study saying young Thai coconuts are processed by bleaching, irradiating and dipping in formaldehyde. These coconuts are the ones I buy! and they taste fabulous :(
I am wondering if Raw Chocoholic got anywhere into the research on whether this was true for all the Thai young coconuts or if anyone else knows anything further….

Comments

• As far as I understand Gabriel Cousens stopped using young coconuts for the reasons you stated (after this treatment process you’re taking in toxins). There may be some sanitary rules on importing exotic fruits to America and Europe. On the other hand, I also read somewhere that young coconuts imported from Costa Rica and some Caribbean countries are not radiated.

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

Although they are very expensive, I am aware of a company that sells organic non-treated young coconuts. I have no first hand experience with them, but here is the link to their site:

http://genefitnutrition.com/coconuts.html

If anyone tries them it would be great to hear a report back.

• kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

this is just with young thai coconuts right? not old coconuts?

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

I read that the “Best” brand coconuts are untreated.

• Does anyone know a company that ships to Europe (Hungary, Belgium)? I’d hate to give it up. Also if anyone knows where to order probiotics to make coconut kefir I’d welcome that too.

• Hello, I am from Hungary, and I know a shop that holds organic young coconuts. The shop's name is

• Sorry I mistyped the URL: http://www.egeszseges-elet.hu/

• i read this article.

i live near where this restaurant is.

http://www.basilandspice.com/journal/matt-amsden-tells-the-truth-about-thai-coconuts-and-formalde.html

interesting.

he says that this is myth that the coconuts are chemically treated.

• Hi Springfairy. Amazon sells kefir starter and they say they ship virtually anywhere in the world.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I get the genefitnutrition coconuts. They are very good and taste much purer than the ones at the health store, whether or not there is testing done that says they aren't treated, they aren't labeled organic, and I can taste the toxicity. I like the genefit coconuts and will stick with them.

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

RKC

Do they look different than the conventional ones? I have seen some vids that show organic thai young coconuts and they look more brown(no treatment of preservatives to keep white) and are trimmed more round or come with the green husk on. Is that how these come?? I am seriously thinking about ordering some so I want details thank you~~

Peace

oh yeah Mopoke_ you must ask the store you purchase from since there are many distributors although what I found in my area is they are not organic so there is potential chemicals from pesticides etc and that everything imported that is not organic is Irradiated now. but the dipped in fungicide is rumor they are dipped in potassium sorbate to retain there whiteness

They don't have any husk at all. The whole husk is cut off to get around the discoloring issue, so they look like the mature brown hairy coconuts with the three eyes, except they don't have hair and are white (almost, slightly tan color) instead of brown. You can make the most amazing vanilla custard with them.

I have been told by my co-op that any organic ones take too long in shipping and half the case is rotten has that ever been an issue with this company?

Thank you

Well young coconuts can spoil easily but genefitnutrition always ships them next day air..so you never have an issue unless you aren't there when the coconuts are delivered (that happened to me once, they sat in the post office for two days and got moldy all over, but magically they were still very fresh inside). They are shipped USPS so they come by mail, no signature required but for some reason they want you to be there. So as long as you are there when they are delivered, 100% no issue with spoilage, coz like I said they are shipped next day. :)

• Can a regular ol' brown fuzzy coconut be used instead of young Thai coconuts? What's the difference, nutritionally? Is it easier to remove the meat and 'water' from the younger coconut? I live in SC and don't have a CLUE as to where I can buy young coconuts! The guy in the produce department, when asked, looked at me like I was from another planet!!

Well it's flavor difference mostly. The young coconuts are much more mild and don't really taste like coconut, they taste like cream. The adult ones taste very strong and don't grind smoothly in recipes. lol, I get them online at genefitnutrition.com, or rawguru.com, I know they're ridiculously expensive but to me it's worth it because it's such a delight.

• Thanks for the tips. I did speak to a different produce manager this morning at one of my local grocery stores and he said he has a hard time getting them from their wholesaler. He's tried about four times to order them since July and when he places the order, the invoicing comes back "Item not in stock" or "item not available". He did say he'd try again today and to stop back in tomorrow. He said you never know. I asked if he's had others requesting the young coconuts and he said he had. I explained why I needed them and told him he'll be seeing a lot more of me from now on, due to the mass consumption of veggies...woohoo!

• Those coconuts from genefitnutrition look absolutely great, but it would come out to around $9 each with shipping to my house LOL!

I'd love to eat things like that and klamath lake algae, but I can't even fathom buying things like that with my current financial situation. I wouldn't be able to pay rent.