Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

A question of smoothies: simple or complex?

I have made smoothies with greens and a single piece of fruit.. and I have made smoothies like the one I made today [spinach, hemp protein, spirulina, pear, apple].. and I was just curious..

I know there are some of you who do very complex smoothies with many ingredients and some who do simple ones.. has anyone found any reason to do one or the other? Besides food combining, are there any benefits or consequences of doing one of the two?

Comments

• shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

Personally, I just keep it simple. When making a vegetable smoothie, I stay away from fruit. Same goes for the reverse.

I’m still learning about Food Combining though, and just feel like it fits best for me.

I think if you feel good doing the combos you’re doing, keep doing it! :)

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

My green smoothies generally have either: a combo of hemp protein and bee pollen added, or a combo of maca and green superfood. This is added to a base of a LOT of mixed greens, and some apple, banana and/or strawberry. I find the hemp protein and bee pollen are good for morning for giving me lasting energy (and I LOVE the taste of bee pollen), and the maca and green superfood are good for a lighter smoothie around the evening time when I want a bit of energy but it also mellows me out.
    So far I have had no problems with any of these combos, they make me feel even better than just the greens and fruit!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i use a mix of greens since reading that a variety ensures you are getting the full sprectrum of nutrients (something i got from “green for life”)

i mostly use either apple or pear, but that’s just for taste and consistency, since i like making green “sauce” better than smoothie.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Sometimes I only use a couple of ingredients, other days I use everything but the kitchen sink. It depends on what I have and what I feel like. I do like to add maca, goji berries, yucon powder, hemp powder, hempseeds, chia seed, mesquite powder, camu camu powder, green superfood, kelp. cinnamon, MSM and cacao (one or two at a time, in small amounts), but these aren’t the basis of my smoothies. Sometimes I use almomd milk, most of the time water. Different smoothies, different add-ins.

• Usually, when my smoothies have more then 3 ingredients, it’s because there was a bunch of stuff in the fridge that needed to be used up. These smoothies never taste “right”. My friends have started calling them my “compost smoothies” and they won’t even try them now!

I usually do a bunch of greens, an apple and some fruit or coconut juice. If I get adventurous, it usually doesn’t turn out so well!