Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Beans?

rawgirl1976rawgirl1976 Raw Newbie

Does anybody have a good recipe using beans? Before going raw I loved having a cup of cooked beans each day

Comments

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

I wish I knew that information also. I had tried this black bean dip and it was awful. I also tried hummus and that was not to my liking, I think if I added the tahini it would help but I am allergic. I know that there are a lot of beans that are toxic raw so there might not be that many recipes.

• Raw beans are not very digestible and generally taste nothing like cooked beans. You can make a good hummus using zuchinni instead of chickpeas and the taco meat recipe on this site is soooo good, you can use it like refried beans.

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

Gabriel Cousens has a great recipe for hummus: 1 C macademia unsoaked, 1 C almond soaked, 1 C sesame seeds unsoaked, 5 tbsp lemon juice, 3 cloves garlic, 1 C water, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp cumin, 1 tsp celtic sea salt, 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper. Opt : ginger. Blend it and chop some parsley on it,and sprinkle paprika and oil.

• Does anyone have anything they use in place of beans? I was a really big bean eater…kidney beans, pinto beans, black beans…you get the picture! Any suggestions would be most welcome!

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

There isn’t anything that can replace beans but there is a spicy walnut recipe that is good on this site. I use to eat beans every day too. It would be garbanzo beans, northern beans, black beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, etc You name it I ate it but I had to let it go. The reason why you won’t find anything because the taste in my opinion is unique.

• I miss beans too. :(

The mock hummus and refried recipes I’ve seen tend to feature nuts and seeds. Certainly not the same macronutrient ratio as beans (i.e., high fat vs high protein).

• No bean substitue…bummer…that’s what I was afraid of :-)...

I’ll try the recipes you recommended…

Thanks for the responses!