Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Search for Chia recipes

Hi everyone, I just bought Chia seeds and would love to have some recipes. I know I’ve seen them used as an ingredient in recipes on the site, but nothing came up when I did a search. Can anyone recall the links, or do you have a recipe that you would like to share? Thanks.

Comments

• Hi Mon46! I think you may have just got the “a” and “i” reversed! :) If you type in “Chai” it should bring up quite a few recipes. I wasn’t even sure how to spell it ‘til I tried both ways!

• The only recipes I’ve ever been able to find are on Angela Stokes’ website..

http://www.rawreform.com/content/view/345/127/

I haven’t actually tried any of them.. but if you try some you should let us know here how they turn out! :]

• No, aspire, it’s definitely “chia” (though I like chai, too!). Thanks so much for the link, mango woman. I’m gonna check it out right now.

• mango woman, just looked at the site. It’s great! So much good info and lots of info about chia. Thanks again.

• Oops, sorry Mon46! Learning something new every time I come here! :)

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

My favorite chia recipe is this:
    Blend one banana, some vanilla, cardamom, nutmeg, cinnamonmm etc. with about a teaspoon of coconut oil/butter and just enough water to make a thin smoothie. Soak chia seeds in this creamy mixture for about 10 minutes in the fridge, and top with strawberries and 1 chopped medjool date. Serves 1 or 2. DELICIOUS!

• Thanks, elizabeth, sounds great. I just put chia in a super green smoothie that included greens, banana,mango, hemp and goji berries. Feel a little high right now!

LOL I just had a chia smoothie myself after running, with mixed greens, a banana, apple, strawberries, and two tablespoons of chia seeds that I soaked for 10 minutes to make a gel. Really amazing stuff, keeps me full for hours!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Hi elizabethh~ I just saw your Warming Chia pudding recipe that uses chia seeds. It looks really good. Now, my question is, being on Team Anal, by soaking the seeds in the pudding and not in water where one can rinse it, doesn’t the chia give off the inhibitor into the pudding? On the other hand, if so, does it matter?

• elizabethh, you’re right. The chia gel does keep you full for hours. Kind of amazing. Bluedolfin, not sure what you mean about rinsing the seeds, as they turn into a gel in water. Is there some trick I don’t know?

Hi Mon46~ I’m new to the whole soaking seeds, nuts, and grains thang so I still have a huge learning curve on them and working to make sense of the whole proceedure. With other seeds/nuts/grains, after soaking/sprouting them, one rinses them (sometimes multiple times) to wash away the inhibitor. I have soaked flax before and have gotten the slimy stuff also which was ok before I knew about the inhibitor (I used the slime for crackers). When I first started soaking stuff I posted that I drank the soaking water (not knowing about the inhibitor). I was set straight about NOT doing that toot sweet. It tasted strange anyway… :) So I posed the question about chia seeds (and it would apply to flax also) for those soaking gurus out there. Sorry, no trick to share with you (if there was one, I would be more than happy to share it with you). Just an inquiry. :)

What other seeds besides chia and flax are slime makers?

• Well, glad you asked the question. Maybe someone can fill us in, as I intend to use them from now on (even though my husband was giving me a hard time about the slaughter of all those Chia Pets) Anyway, you may want to check out this link:http://chiaforhealth.com/chin.html. Lots of good info.

Mon46~ Hubby has a good sense of humor. LOL! Tell your husband you are not killing those chia pets, just redirecting their hair/fur source! Lots of bald/naked chia pets are running around because of you. That might get him… LOL Personally, I really enjoy a chia pet that can boldly “wear” bald/naked with confidence… That’s a very secure chia pet… Very attractive! ;) Thankx for the link.

• Just don’t tell PETA.

My lips are sealed (with chia slime). ;)

Bluedolfin, I don’t know the answer to the enzyme inhibitor question, but everywhere I’ve looked involving chia seeds, the easiest way to digest them seems to be in chia gel, so apparently its not a problem. I wouldn’t worry about it=)

Thankx elizabethh! check, one less concern… ;)

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

I read up on Chia and ordered some seeds. I’m patiently awaiting them to come in from rawreform. I bought my BF a Homer Simpson Chia Head as part of his Xmas prezzies :) it’s just starting to sprout…aww!

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

you can eat those sprouts too! :-) (homer is bald anyway)

• I am confused about how the solid vs liquid the gel is. I followed the warming pudding recipe above and felt like I was spooning a smoothie up so drank it instead. That was a 1:3 ratio. Would a 1:2 be more firm or maybe it depends on grinding the seeds first vs using them whole? Can someone explain?

• leahcelesteleahceleste Raw Newbie

I have been eating alot of chia puddings so maybe I can offer some insights.

First of though letting the seeds sit in the liquid for 10-30 minutes will produce a gelling effect if you really want a thicker more tapioca like consistency make your pudding the night before and let it hang in the frig. By the morning you will have a much thicker pudding. Another thing that I have noticed is if I get a wire whisk and whisk the seeds with liquid for a good few minutes then it make the gelling work better and faster.

Here is a simple delicious chia recipe, its makes alot though! This doesn't seem to be a problem for me and my boyfriend:)

1 cup chia seed

6 cups water

3 cups of your favorite nut milk

Mix the chia with the water and allow to gel for about 30 mins to an hour. Use a wire whisk to mix the seeds with the water, the more and better you whisk it up the better it will gel up. Then add your nut milk and whisk again. Sometimes I eat the thinner version in about 30 minutes or I put it in the frig for a few hours and it thickens up. This recipe will keep in the frig for a few days and you can just scoop out what you want to eat. I then will flavor with banana, dried fruit, cinnamon, other spices, sweeteners, cocoa powder, and anything else you like!

Another great morning porridge that I like is this:

1-2 cups water

small handful brazil nuts

1 apple

few dates

cinnamon

blend the water and nuts till you get the consistency you like. Then add the apple, dates and cinnamon. Pulse the blender till you get a consistency you like, I like chunky. It's ready to go or for the chia part you can add 1 tablespoon chia at this point and then whisk it up with a fork really good and let sit on the counter for 10-15 mins then enjoy!

• This is a great thread! I have been wanting to incorporate chia into my eating. Leah I love the pudding idea-DH was just commenting on how he likes tapioca and I was wondering if there was a RAW alternative.

Awesome! Hope my CoOp has them :-)

r4r