Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Organic

shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

Does anybody here NOT eat organic? The more I read the more I feel bad for not eating organic, but there’s just not much available around here… And anything that is I feel like I’m getting ripped off. I plan to switch once I move, but for now can it hurt me?

Comments

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

The only thing I eat non-organic is young coconuts, because I haven’t found any organic ones. The reasons for eating organic are innumerable…even proponents of commercially grown food stress the damage pesticides and herbicides can do to the body. Long term effects as severe as birth defects and cancer have been noted. Also, organic farming works with the earth and replenishes the soil, as opposed to commercial farming which distrubs nature. However, considering the price of organic food, for some people it is far more realistic to only buy some food organic.
    The most important foods to buy organic are the ones with the thinner skin, i.e. berries, apples, cucumbers, tomatoes, pears, etc. Things like avocado and pineapple are not as important, because they have thicker skin and therefore absorb less chemicals. Thats part of the reason the non-organic young coconuts don’t really bother me.
    I would also buy banana and corn organic, because non-organic ones are generally GMOs.
    Just do what you can, and don’t feel bad about it. Have you ever though about joining an organic co-op?
    Good luck!

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

There is always the option to order Organic produce and have it shipped to you. There are some great sites that offer this: www.BoxedGreens.com or www.DiamondOrganics.com. It’s not the cheapest but it’s super fresh and delicious. I have used both of these companies in the past.

Cheers!
    Kristen Suzanne

• Valeria, I know what it’s like…I do eat some organic and tons in the summer (we do organic gardening) but it’s hard especially this time of year. I WISH so badly we could eat all organic, but my family can’t afford all that and I’m not the one in control of the shopping bills, but I definitely help with the lists :0), but with all my heart I want to do it ALL the time. I eat as much organic as I can get my hands on, but I don’t try to stress out about it. Just do the best you can (like I’m trying…and eventually I want to find out a way to do it permanently)!!! That’s what matters, that you do your best without being impractical about the price.

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

Try to eat only veggies and fruits from the season.

• shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

Thanks guys. I’ll check those sites out and try to get organic foods with a thin skin for now. I can’t wait to be eating all organic!

It’s obvious a Raw Organic diet helps the enivornment a lot, and I’m very happy and excited to be eating this way!

• It’s okay to work the organic produce in slowly. Like Elizabeth said, avocados and pineapples are less of a worry. But your root veggies (like carrots and yams) should be organic because they have the most contact with the soil and any chemicals in the soil.

Ohhh, thanks for the site RawJim. It’s now in my favorites!

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I’d love to be able to afford to eat organic all the time, but I can’t pay $1.50 per orange and $7 for a head of cauliflower, $4 and $5 for a small bunch of lettuce, etc. I wish I could. I think the extreme cost is just my area, though, but I don’t have a car to tool around for many miles to search. I do prefer organic/natural though!

EDIT—I just saw Kristens links. I’m going to check them out.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

There’s a big difference between supermarket organic and the kind of organic food you get from a man who loves his small farm.

I went on a farmer’s chat room and they were saying that there were all kinds of tricks going on because farmers can get more money for being organic. They were saying that farms that turn organic have nitrate deposits dumped all over their farms and when it rains it all gets washed into the food. But you know, internet chat room is not the most reliable source of info!! It was interesting to read it though.

I was once told by an environmental science lecturer that “organic” means the food was grown with 30% less chemicals, not no chemicals at all.

When I buy organic mushrooms and kale from the co-op health food vegan shop it tastes and feels way different than the over priced organic supermarket stuff. The quality or organic food in the supermarkets is the same or worse than the normal stuff.
    So much of the organic fruit I have bought there has not ripened before going off.

I do what I can because I like to support the idea of organc farming, but to be honest I have doubts about some of the organic stuff I buy.

Just waiting till I grow and forage for all my food myself.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

I’m a little confused by products marked “organic” and others marked “certified organic”. Do they have the same “organicness”?

Organic means 30% less chemicals? Wow.

What’s wrong with society today? Why is it even an option to put that crap on or in our food. It makes my blood boil that it’s nearly impossible to buy GOOD FOOD in most places.

Maybe I should just join a commune so I don’t have to deal with society as much,,,, I’m almost kidding.

I’d also like to know the answer to Bluedolfin’s question.

RawJim~ Thank you for the links. I went to all of them and then some links off of them. I didn’t see on any of them there they distinguish the labels of “certified organic” and “organic”. Did I miss it? Hmmmm…

RawJim~ I agree with you on what you say about this area being ripe with confusion. I am not impressed by those that are afraid of loosing a part of their “economic pie” because they are not keeping up with consumer demand. Or the agencies that protect the SIGs with the deep pockets rather than the people. Politics (spit)!

I mainly shop at Trader Joes. That is where I have seen both labels, “organic” and “certified organic” on produce. Most of Trader Joes produce is packaged in some way (tomatoes in a plastic container, lemons with tray and cellophane, etc.)

Recently I found out about a certified organic CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program near me. In the new year, I think I am going to go that route. I want to get more info on the farm.

Thank you for the info and the suggestions.

I just got out the Cherry Tomatoes I got from TJ’s (I really prefer another tiny tomato they sometimes have… they taste like little red candies). It has the USDA Organic circle logo/stamp. Then in a different place on the label it says “CERTIFIED ORGANIC”. The label also says “Product of Mexico”.

I’m looking forward to trying the CSA. If I keep doing green smoothies, I know I will be able to use up everything in the “box.” I’m looking forward to “real” produce.

Thankx RJ~

I’m still confused as to why some packaging with the USDA Organic logo says certified and some does not. Is it just a “label design” choice or is there a more significant reason?

At this point I’m not really interested in researching further into the certification process.

• I buy the following in organic whenever available (regardless of cost)—lettuce, tomatoes, celery, carrots, apples, grapes, strawberries, potatoes, and peanut butter. These foods are sprayed heavily (if you go non-organic).

Stuff like grapefruit and bananas are sprayed less (the thick skins help protect from bugs, and the skins also offer some protection from the pesticides since we peel these fruits).

RJ~

Thank you for your patience. I will start looking at labels a little closer. Usually if is just says “organic” it was sufficient for me. Now I know it is important to look for the USDA Organic logo. I also know that “natural” means nothing, another term to confuse the consumer… shoe leather is “natural” and “organic” for that matter. I truly don’t think it is good to ingest it though (talk about a major case of indigestion!)... shoe leather works much better on the feetsies.

I just bought some Organic Field Greens… They were “certified organic” by a third party company called Quality Assurance International. Anyways, I got a description off of thier website stating that thier version of “certified organic means:

A non-profit, state or private certification organization, accredited by the United States Department Of Agriculture (USDA), has verified that products labeled as “organic” meet strictly defined organic standards.

It’s not much of a description.
    And no mention as to what they consider to be Organic either. I’ll have to write them.