Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Diabetic Neuropathy (update, skip to entry for Jan 13)

germin8germin8 Raw Master

I’m writing because someone asked me about this recently…

Can someone recommend natural ways to reduce pain caused by years of diabetic neuropathy? What about a good reference book for the types of (raw) foods for diabetics to eat? Or green smoothie recipes with less sweet “fruit” like cucumbers?

Comments

• pearjoypearjoy Raw Newbie

hi germin8!
    Romaine hearts, spinach and cucumber make really light, sweet green smoothies on their own (I can’t do kale solo everyday). Zucchini is good to crunch on and is filling and nutty. Celery blended with lots of water makes a salty green smoothie that really hits the spot. A slice of fresh ginger makes any green smoothie lemony and spicy if you want a change without sugary fruits.
    My remedy for pain/anything:
    drink blended kale with the juice of a small key lime for three days.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Thanks pearjoy. I’m going to let them know about these recipes… because I’m going to be helping them make green smoothies.

The main concern was how to relieve pain.

I think omega-9 was good for diabetics and nerves… but I don’t remember.

• Hi germin8: I would suggest that B Vitamins are a good place to start with diabetic neuropathy. They help to repair the nerves. Naturopathic physicians can really help with this sort of thing and go into a lot more detail according to this person’s specific need. Also, I would consider contacting Sergei Boutenko since he overcame diabetes eating raw. He will most likely have some useful suggestions! Good luck!

Thanks, Linda… but Sergei’s diabetes was nowhere near as advanced as the person who asked me about natural ‘remedies’.

I’ll be recommending foods w/ B-vitamins for their green smoothies.

• Diabetic neuropathy, a complication of advanced diabetes, is actually NERVE DAMAGE. My understanding of the condition is that the longer one has had the nerve damage, the less likely it is to be reversible. There are no pharmaceutical medications known to REVERSE diabetic neuropathy, but there are some that can help manage the pain by regulating the flow of certain neurotransmitters in the central nervous system. Certainly, the foods and supplements we take in have an affect on our neurotransmitters, too—but as for which ones will help with managing pain or healing nerve damage, I could not say. It’s certainly worth pursuing. In the meantime, the most proactive thing to do would be to do everything humanly possible to keep your blood glucose level in check (which, I’m sure you’ve heard about a bazillion times) but it’s the one factor that is most closely tied to your mortality. I applaud you for exploring how raw food can help you on your journey.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

Alpha Lipoic Acid is supposed to be very good for diabetic neuropathy. It is a free radical scavenger that is both fat and water soluble. You can find it in the health food store

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

try a gluten free diet. grains of all kinds are inflammatory. try it for a week, it might just help. obviously keep glucose levels closely monitored and in normal range.

This person has an advanced case, (let’s call him ED, because people think this is about me). :-)

I think ED’s case is advanced enough that it is not reversible. So, natural healing or natural pain relief in anyway would be beneficial. I understand where you are coming from Bluedolfin and it’s those nutrients (that are being missed) that I think ED would need to include in his diet… foods rich in B-vitamins, alpha lipoic acid, and such. Maybe I am missing something else, but where in the table does “nerves” fit in? The paragraph above it reads “Only a few are never replaced; these ‘immortal’ cells include auditory hair calls, heart muscle cells, and nerve cells.”

• Germin8: some nerve cells are replaced according to conventional medical literature. We all know of other cases, a lot in the raw food world, that give evidence that “non-regenerative” nerve cells actually repairing themselves. However, they usually regenerate slowly, I’ve seen some references of 1mm per month for the slowest speed of healing. Naturopathic medicine involves giving the body what it needs and then waiting for the healing to occur because only the body can do the healing it needs. Yes, I agree that Sergei’s diabetes was most likely not as advanced as “Ed’s” mostly because it would be difficult to develop peripheral neuropathy through diabetes at the age that Sergei went raw. But he would probably still have some good advice to give because he talks to people all the time who are approaching him with questions about healing various diseases. So, B Vitamins, Alpha lipoic acid, and a raw food diet are really good places to start. I would recommend the B Vitamins and the lipoic acid in supplement form to begin with because we are really fighting an uphill battle here. He should start to show improvement in approximately 1 to 3 months, depending on the initial severity of the condition and how good he is at adhering to a raw food diet. Then the supplements can be weaned. Writescopy is correct in that blood glucose should be kept in normal ranges as much as possible to promote healing. Have faith that diabetic complications can heal. The body is really amazing!!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

germin8~ First I want to acknowledge your generousity for inquiring for ED. Few would take the time and effort you have extended.

Since there have been many healings that “seem” impossible that we now know are possible, I’m holding out for the impossible is only something we just don’t know yet. I have actually met many people who’s quality of life improved from a wide variety of health challenges.

For an example of the “impossible” (according to most doctors) being possible, read about Dr. O’s experience posted on curezone.com. Dr. Omelchuk was told (as is many) that he would never recover from a massive brain aneurysm more than what he experienced after a year (being mentally and physically disabled). That is “what is possible” after any brain injury. The general view is that you only give the brain one year to recover and then the condition of the person is the way it going to be for the rest of that person’s life. With nutrition (in this case glyconutrients and other concentrated forms of nutrition) he experienced the “impossible”. His recovery came after 10 years of little, if any progress, with pharmaceutical support and without nutritional support. I have personally met Dr. O a few times so I know he is real. I have seen a progression of improvement in his health. He is one of many. I know about him because he went public with his experience.

Can these same results happen solely with consuming raw foods? If that is what that person’s body needs, the nutrients in those concentrations from the raw food, then the answer is a resounding yes. The key is finding the “magic” combination of nutrients, other healing modalities, and the time for those healing modalities to overcome the damage. Sometimes one hits it at the first try. Other times it takes a long time.

The main point… I (and many others involved with complementary/alternative health modalities) believe we just do not know what is possible/impossible. We know what we know right now. Knowledge is evolving all the time… sometimes easily, sometimes kicking and screaming. Vitamin C deficiency which is currently taken as a given was call heresy for many, many years. Many times we just don’t know what we don’t know and then call that impossible.

Are you finding any benefit in this conversation?

Linda~ Thank you for your clear contribution.

I assert that most people symptom chase. I am proposing (I don’t think I am the first to do this) opening the healing view that we really don’t know what system is having a challenge. This is due to the body’s ability to redirect resources when limited resources are not adequate to meet all health needs. By addressing fundamental support of the body (nutritionally, energetically, toxin elimination, etc., which I view as just different facets of effecting a chemical reaction in the body) that the body then has the resources to address all quality of life challenges.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you all very much for your advice and for ‘listening’. There is a wealth of information here, and I’m sure it’s just the tip of the iceberg. Ed does not really seek medical advice and is trying not to take any medications… but has a weak will when it comes to food. He wants to try something, so I’ll pass this information along… and, I’ll be in touch with him to see how it goes. This will be a long, slow process.

Bluedolfin, did Dr. Omelchuk start glyconutrients 10 years after the aneurysm… or did it take 10 years to cure with glyconutrients?

With nutrition (in this case glyconutrients and other concentrated forms of nutrition) he experienced the

germin8~ Dr. Omelchuk started the concentrated nutrients 10 years after the aneurysm. He started on a very aggressive approach (meaning consuming large amounts of glyconutrients, phytochemicals, and phytogenins). Within four months he was off all meds (maximum amounts of heavy duty pain killers and antidepressents were amoung the drugs he was on for over 10 years) and had significant quality of life improvement.

For clarification, Dr. Omelchuk didn’t cure anything. He gave his body what it needed to heal itself.

Wow, 10 years after. Thanks for sharing this information… now that I think about it, I think my good friend in AZ mentioned glyconutrients to me and I didn’t research any of it.

Strange question… but is it possible to grow hair back? (Someone bald asked me a few years ago… and I said “no” since the follicle “goes away” in time as hair thins.)

• MopokeMopoke Raw Newbie

This information on diabetes is relevant to someone in my real world situation and I just want to thank everyone for all the advice and contributions :)

• Hi- I recently found out that there has been extensive research on wheatgrass repairing DNA. That is something I would look into. Like mentioned above, it may take some time but is well worth the effort because it can improve overall heath. Vinegar and coffee also destroy certain necessary vitamins for healing- specifically pantothenic acid- in sunflower seeds, watermelon, and cauliflower- So it is best to not consume those. Usually if it is someone you don’t live with they are doing things you can’t control so it is hard to make any progress. My uncle who was diabetic would go and secretly eat ice cream and he had to have a toe amputated recently. Another lady I knew who was trying to eat healthy would eat unbelievable amounts of salad dressing- so that she might as well hae been eating candy bars. here is a lot of addiction that goes along with diabetic syndrome, denial, and defiance. If the person can go without sweeteners, breads, caffeine, high sugar fruits and vegetables then they have a chance but I think that is a rare case.

There is some really exciting research in an area called “epigenetics” that is starting to show nutrition actually influencing the expression of genes!!! This research is none to soon. The research, I think, will explain why people are experiencing all sorts of health “miracles” with the use of nutrition and why people respond at different levels/combination of nutrition. It is another confirmation that we are what we eat!

Mopoke~ My hope is that you (and others) are able to apply the same principles of this information to all health and it is not specific to diabetes. One may not use the same combination of nutrients, but that nutrition (and other complementary modalities) plays a huge role in improving health and staying well.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

While I think that a raw diet, or atlest a signigicant portion of one’s diet being raw, will help. I was a diagnosed as diabetic but began taking cinnamon after I read up on the topic. There have been several studies done on cinnamon use by diabetics by western doctors. Once you get the dosage right it will drop your glucose on average by 30%. A chemical in cinnamon (MHTP or MHCP, I think) binds to the receptor site of the cells that uptake insulin. When I started taking it my blood sugar dropped app. 30%. I recommend this to all my diabetic clients. Three of them have actually tried it. Two of them are off insulin now and one is off a really horrid drug called Glucofage (sp).

I assume the neuropathy, like other damage resulting from diabetes, is connected to the insulin overload on the cells. If this is the case with the neuropathy, then using cinnamon may slow any further progression of the neuropathy and/or other diabetic illness. I wouldn’t rule out the possibility that it could reverse some of the damage.

Many supplement stores try to sell their proprietary blend of cinnamon with other ingredients, It is really the cinnamon that makes the difference so there is no need to buy those expensive blends. I buy mine online from Vitacost.com. It isn’t organic, but it is inexpensive. He should take 2 – 6 grams daily. There are no known side-effects of cinnamon in all the studies I read. I gave the info to a D.O. I know and he now prescribes it for all his diabetic patients and reports that they have been helped immensely. 2 grams daily will cost him app. $10 per month. Hope this helps.

Thanks writeeternity & Dain5000.

Yes, it is difficult to help people (you don’t live with)... and “we” know he sneaks around looking for sweets and eating too much. Plus, if he knows something is good for him… he’ll eat too much of it! Not good. Good thing, he’s a vegan… so, he’s not consuming too much of the other bad food… just too much sugar foods!

We’ll have to try the cinnamon. It’s such an easy thing to try. He did eat saurkraut and that helped his sugar levels too. But, can’t we just buy organic cinnamon from the spice section at the store and grind it… rather than buying the vitamin form?

Bluedolfin, one of my good friend’s mother uses glyconutrients and she says she can feel the difference. Everyone where she works is getting sick (guess something is going around), but her mom didn’t get sick. (She’s not raw or vegetarian.)

Thank you all for sharing information, knowledge and educating me. I’ll surely pass on the info here and pray they put it to good use.

UPDATE!!!

Today, we gave ED 3 kinds of green smoothies… He drank 6 oz of each and his sugar level did not go up after the drinks. (He usually has “off the charts” sugar levels.)

The green smoothies we made were: #1 Sergei’s favorite… something with kale, dill, lime, garlic, sun dried tomato, and water #2 celery, mixed greens, cucumber, banana, blueberry, and water #3 mixed greens, mango, blueberry, celery, and water

Thank you all for your help! He will be trying them out on his own for several days.

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

First off, I don’t have experience with this particular problem…

BUT!! I have been raw (on and off) since 1971 and have done a lot of reading and research in the field of alternative health… so…

IMHO, one approach is to look for the superfood/herb/nutrient that will fix the problem. But the body’s own intelligence and recuperative ability is the real miracle worker. Eliminating nutritional overload and improper food will go a long way in allowing the body to correct itself.

If I had the problems you are describing, or any other serious health condition, I’d find a naturopath I could respect to guide me in supporting the body to cure itself. One such person is Dr. Fuhrman (http://www.drfuhrman.com), who uses supplements, vegan diet, and fasting, among other things. You may be able to consult with him without being physically present; or he may have a network of NDs to whom he can refer you.

I know of people who have cured themselves of supposedly terminal diseases, including ovarian cancer that spread to the breast and hip, by following Dr. Schulze’s Incurables Program; but Dr. Schulze doesn’t practice.

The points I want to make are:
    1) The body cures itself, not supplements or specific isolated nutrients (although those may help);
    2) Nothing is incurable; and
    3) You owe it to yourself to get competent naturopathic medical support

Dismounting soapbox ;-)

Two more things,

Salt increases pain and irritation generally, so eliminating ALL salt and all foods that contain added salt will help.

And remaining very well-hydrated reduces pain. A lot. So slosh down that water like crazy.

cherie03 wrote:
    “I was never going to do the green smoothie thing

Oh, the green smoothies are delicious cherie03. Just several cups of greens, about 2-3 cups water… and almost any combination of fruit – like an apple an pear. Or mango & banana! They are delicious. But, stick with the lower sugar fruits – like cucumber and such. You will find that green smoothies are quite palatable. I don’t know how fast they work with pain, but I’ve read in Udo Erasmus’ book (Fast the Heal Fats that Kill) that GLA found in borage (maybe hemp) are helpful for neuropathy.

Thank you for your story. And, I’m glad you have experienced improvement, even if slightly. I hope for continued improvement for you… and for ED.