Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

hemp seeds vs. flax seeds

NuttgirlNuttgirl Raw Newbie

Is one seed better for you than the other? Do hemp seeds provide the same nutrients as flax seeds for healthy hair?

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Flaxseed has 4 times omega-3 as omega-6… and Hemp seed has 3 times as much omega-6 as omega-3. Long term use of flaxseed can result in deficiency of omega-6 within 16-24 months. Best ratio of omega-3:omega-6 is 2:1.
    Reference: Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill by Udo Erasmus

Both are good for hair. I don’t know if one is better than the other… guess it depends what you want – less greasy scalp (probably any raw fat), shiny hair (omega-3), hair growth (omega-6).

• NuttgirlNuttgirl Raw Newbie

Just out of curiosity, how much hemp seed does one have to eat in order to promote hair growth?

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

If you want your hair and finger nail to grow fast have msm.I have 1 t in my smoothies and also in my enemas.

Nuttgirl, I don’t have an answer to your question… but, hemp seed/oil is well balanced (according to the book).

I was reading some of your previous postings and noticed several about hair…. did you ever figure that out?

Back when I had hair loss problems, I wasn’t sure if it was from stress (learning I was adopted… I was 25 at the time when I was told this news) or diet. I think it was stress first… then diet. Years after learning about my adoption, I figure it can’t be stress any more… and had to be something else. Someone told me to take one Tablespoon of flax oil a day for 2 weeks and not wash my hair because my hair follicles were clogged (by eating bad fats). Wouldn’t you know it… it worked! But, flax is not that easy on my stomach so I stopped and just avoided lots of bad, cooked fats and the like. This was 2004. Of course, on a raw diet, one doesn’t have to worry about these bad, cooked fats. Now, all is well… but could have been better. (I feel) the news about my adoption was the trigger that started it all… and wish it would have been told to me at a different time… not when I was experiencing other more ‘common/expected’ stresses. That was stress enough, and I could have managed with just that.

I haven’t tried hemp at all for hair growth. Now, I don’t eat it often, but my hair doesn’t grow fast. I did a 10-day cleanse in April and my hair grew about an inch during that time. Strange! It hasn’t really grown much since.

Have you heard of neem oil? (in the book, pg 293) The book reads that neem oil has “remarkable properties” and is also good for hair… just not sure how.

For the last few weeks my hair did not fall out as much. I would even say I was losing the “normal” amount of hair. I don’t know if I can attribute that change to eating more calories or if I was eating a missed nutrient. In any event I was pretty excited until 2 days ago. My hair started to fall out a lot again. I don’t know why either. :(

• I skip the oils and go with flax seed. I soak it 1 T flax with 1/4 cup distilled water over night. In A.M. refrigerate, do not drain. It it doesn’t mix well in what you are eating then just eat with a spoon. Blends in blender drinks great and a little tossed in a salad just like oil. Eating it straight takes a little getting use too, but an easy adjustment for all the amazing benefits that flax seed does. It is on my list of “4 greats.”

I hope the hair loss is only cyclical and it will stop again. That happened to me…. I would have some bad days… then good days… then bad… it was awful going through it. One day, eventually I got tired of going through that rollercoaster… months later I realized my hair was doing better. Of course, I had started eating good fats and gotten rid of all the fried fats (I wasn’t raw at the time… and I’m not 100% now).

My hair is very long now… but, honestly, wish I had more of it! It was a long time before things got back to normal.

It sucks! I haven’t been to my hair stylist in months because I am afraid that it might be too much stress for my hair and scalp.

I started taking 1 to 2 tablespoons of hemp seed a day. I’m hoping that will have some sort of effect. It is too early as of now to see any difference. I am hoping at the very least it will help with the dryness. My hair still feels like soft straw.

Oh, I totally know what you mean. There was a time I avoided the hair stylist… the mirror… the lights on when a mirror is nearby… and over-examing the hair situation. It wasn’t healthy… but, I couldn’t stop as hard as I tried.

I think you’ll notice a difference with the hemp in 2 weeks; that’s when I noticed a difference with the flax oil (years ago when I tried it). But, usually it takes 2-3 months for your hair to “react” to what you eat/do to it today.

I wonder what it could be. It took me a long time to figure out what I needed. Hang in there!

• best way to find out would be to use yourself as a guinea pig and try an experiment. i actually wash my hair with flax seeds. i have a bottle of my own homemade shampoo which is ground flax seed mixed with water, sea salt, and some baking soda. the flax seed makes everything stick together so it isn’t watery, but it’s also great for getting out dirt and making your hair happy and healthy. i follow with an apple cider vinegar rinse.

washing your hair w/ wheatgrass juice is also supposed to really good for your hair and scalp and supposedly grows back hair and restores natural hair colour (i only have experience w/ the flax shampoo, not the wheatgrass juice) but it has to be freshly squeezed wheatgrass juice, not that powdered or frozen stuff. i love my flax shampoo and i just stick with that. much easier than growing sprouts and juicing them. i have fun making my shampoo, mixing the ingredients and stirring them like i’m some sorta mad scientist making some secret magical elixir in my lab!

for the healthiest hair it is actually best to limit how much fat and protein you consume. so i wouldn’t have more than 2 servings of seeds, nuts, avocados, durian, coconut, or olives in one day.

when you brush your hair everyday, do it upside down to get all that nourishing blood to your scalp. you can bend over while sitting in a chair or standing up and just brush your hair upside down making sure to brush your scalp, too, because if your scalp is clogged up, the hair won’t be able to grow through healthily.

Thanks rawveganlove. I am not having hair problems any more… but, I am always careful about what goes on my hair and in my mouth (that affects my hair). I want to try out a new shampoo because the one I have was way to expensive. ($10 for a small bottle of essential oil shampoo) I will probably try a Trader Joe’s brand… but this flaxseed/wheatgrass sounds interesting. What are the proportions for the flax shampoo? It is difficult to wash out? Actually, the whatgrass juice sounds like less work… except for the part of getting it fresh.