Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

toxic? uh oh!

toxic? uh oh!

Comments

• The thing I like about eating raw is that it’s consistent with another dietary philosophy that I think makes total sense – eating paleo. Basically the idea is that if our paleolithic ancesters didn’t eat it, we shouldn’t eat it (because the paleo diet is what humans evolved eating – it’s what our bodies know how to digest). A lot of the foods commonly eaten today were introduced in the neolithic era 10,000 years ago – a nanosecond compared to 2 million years of paleo evolution. An easy rule of thumb for what’s paleo is that if you can’t eat it raw, don’t eat it. Beans are not paleo, nor are grains or white potatoes – all toxic raw. It’s unclear when humans started to cook food, but for most of our evolution we did not.

• 1Christine1Christine Raw Newbie

Thank you “permutations”! I have never heard such a simple explanation! How wonderful!
    I am gluten and gliaden intolerant, which means 99.9% of grains are undigestible and cause me actual physical pain in my intestines. No matter how much I love breads and now try to not love them!! Same with beans…I love to have the scientific explanation behind the problem!

• By the way, milk products also are not paleo. Milk is not toxic raw, but many people cannot digest it because people only started drinking the milk of other animals in the last 10,000 years. Hunter-gatherer people still living on earth think it’s perverted and disgusting to drink the milk of other animals – probably the attitude shared by our paleo ancestors.

Until 10,000 years ago, human babies drank their mother’s milk until weaned, and then no more milk for life. That’s what the human body evolved doing, which is why so many people have problems with milk – not just the lactose, but milk protein. 60-70% of people from northern latitudes are lactose intolerant.

I have problems with both grains and milk products – the worst kind. I have Crohn’s Disease so I have a special interest in food intolerances. There’s a really good book on this topic I’ve been reading – “Food Allergies and Food Intolerance” by Brostoff and Galmin. It talks to the point that germin8 makes.

Our food does not think of itself as food for others, and all life works very hard at not being food for others. Everything wants to survive – even grass. Almost every food we eat has anti-nutrients of some kind to protect itself from being eaten and thus killed. An exception is fruit, which wants to be eaten so the animal distributes its seeds, but fruit speeds up the digestive track so the seeds are expelled quickly. You can’t stop eating everything. But some foods are much more likely to cause problems for people, and these tend to be the neolithic foods, the foods that humans only started eating in the last 10,000 years.

• Check out this article on “sprout toxicity”. *http://www.annieappleseedproject.org/sprouts.html#. It’s based on actual scientific research. I’m sure that people really mean well when they post, but a lot of the information is based on something they read or heard about somewhere. I don’t refer to the above posters. Anyway, this article should set your mind at ease if you’d like to keep eating sprouts.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

is there a website you can tell us about where there’s a list of paleo foods, this is so interesting.

• I posted a link above:

http://ibdsupport.com/paleodiet.php

This is my own Web site, actually (not my best effort design-wise – I was experimenting with software). The article is a succinct overview of what paleo eating is, and there are links at the end to further information.

Nuts and seeds are paleo. Soybeans can’t be eaten raw without severe gastric consequences. Beans in general are not paleo for this reason.

Oh – just noticed I didn’t include this link. It’s a good one with many links to other information:

http://paleodiet.com/

...and my favorite book on the topic: Neanderthin

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

I sprout beans (chick peas, mung, lentils) regularly and am never sick. I’d never eat beans in their raw unsprouted state, but they are fine once they have become little plants.

Also, Christine, have you tried sprouted wheat? It’s my understanding that when wheat and other grains are sprouted the gluten is either neglible or even absent, and many people who have problems with cooked grains have no such problems with raw.