Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Eggs?

I am not 100% raw nor am I vegan, I enjoyhoney and some raw fish and am thinking about adding raw eggs. Are there any of you out there that consume raw eggs/yolks? What is your favorite way to do it? Just throw it into a smoothie? Runny eggs have never weirded me out but I don’t think I could sit down and just eat a raw egg! Any thoughts?

Comments

• I use raw eggs to make egg nog smoothies.
    I make a milk with cashew butter and tahini, add some vanilla bean and nutmeg, some red banana to make it creamier (frozen makes it colder), and some dates to sweeten it up.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Sorry to be chiming in so late! I’d add that raw eggs beat up beautifully into wonderful creams. Just add a little sweetener before whipping with the hand whipper, but it should be dry (like date sugar or powdered Stevia) or just work in a liquid sweetener AFTER having whipped.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

You can also try to crack one egg yolk into a bowl of miso soup. I’d leave the whites though. There’s really not much nutrition in them and they do inhibit the absorption of biotin from the egg yolk.

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

Hmmm. Raw egg? A raw egg with like 215 mg of Cholesterol. I am not interested.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

I second that. Eggs are in shell for a reason;)

• Is it really okay to talk about non-vegan food here?

• Yes, I believe it is perfectly okay, rawrawraw!

Not an egg-eater myself but like the sound of Raw_Chocoholic’s suggestion re: the miso soup!

• I don’t think there’s any reason not to discuss things here, as long as they fall within the realm of appropriate (although I just viewed a thread on poop and have just questioned my previous statement lol) talking about non-vegan raw food is interesting and I’m not sure the “Gone Raw Gestapo” is going to show up and gun us all down for it. Raw eggs?? Is that safe to be consuming? How does salmonella get into an egg??? What are the health benefits?

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

you can contract salmonella from raw eggs, i know this because it has happened to my sister when she was young (she is fine now). i won’t consume any animal products except for honey (i am a beegan, as some would say), for a number of reasons…cholesterol, throws off acid/alkaline balance, higher than preferred risk of contamination…and i’m also generally just weirded out by the whole eggs and dairy thing…i’m not a baby cow, and i don’t find unfertilized chicken eggs particularly appetizing..
    that said, i totally respect anybody else’s decision of they wish to consume raw animal products, that’s just my two cents.

• justagirljustagirl Raw Newbie

Sorry to add a note of discord, and I realize this is a vegan website, but there are raw foodists that eat raw eggs(fertilized and from free range, organically fed chickens) as well as raw milk, raw cheese, and raw kefir(sort of like yogurt). Although I cannot fully agree if this is healthy, I know that only 1 in 30,000 eggs will contain salmonella and that is with commercial “dead” eggs, not the healthier fertlized version. Once an egg is fertilized, it’s enzymes are release, causing it be be digested more readily and without the difficulties that come from unfertilized eggs. If you wish to read more about these raw non vegan products, consider that Norman Walker (a raw foodist) and a pioneer in juicing as well, ate on occasion raw milk products, etc. and he lived to be well over 100. Cholesterol is an interesting situation. Your body produces it, and if you do not consume any, it will generally produce more to make up for it. Remember that people have said oil, or sugars are bad for you, but we have found out that raw oils and raw sugars (such as in plants, fruits) do not affect the body in the same way that cooked ones do. Perhaps we should take that into consideration with raw non vegan products as well. The basis for good health, is your acid/alkaline balance. As for myself, I am almost totally vegan (and raw)except when the desire for cheese overtakes me.

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

I eat some raw eggs every now and then. The only way I've ever eaten them is blended into a smoothie - I'll have to try the egg-nog thing, that looks good! Besides, there are MANY studies that show that your body needs a little bit of cholesterol for proper brain function - there is no such thing as 'good' and 'bad' cholesterol - it's just a marketing ploy to sell drugs (as are many illnesses!). That's why I occasionally eat raw eggs, milk, or have some raw fish. You can read about it here: http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/cholesterol-friend.html

• miss soufflemiss souffle Raw Newbie

justagirl~ what great information. thank you! im not really any fan of eggs and in the past ive actually had to force myself to eat them (LOL i know its silly) but my boyfriend would probably be keen. he's not raw but he is an advocate of healthful eating plus when he was at uni he use to have like 3 raw eggs in his smoothies and skate to school so i'll just make sure that we do get fresh oraganic eggs from the farm.

Eaglenester~ thanks for the recipe// im gonna make it for my boyfriend.

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

intresting thread. i've started in add a small amount of cooked egg to my diet, but i was un aware u could eat them raw.

how does a raw egg make a smoothie taste? and what is the best kind of smoothie to use?

also im back and forth on raw fish - i use to enjoy it alot but am now afraid while i breastfeed because i've heard of parasites and will loads of heavy metals. ? .

• Could you make raw mayo with raw egg, oil and vinegar???

rawmamanibbles - I haven't noticed a taste at all when I blend them into my smoothies. I have done them in green and fruit smoothies before and even snuck one to my dad and he didn't notice, either! I also eat my eggs cooked sometimes (just got through eating one), I'll make an omelet or something and then put loads of raw veggies inside of it or have a fruit salad or smoothie on the side (As a rule for myself, I have to have raw fruit or veggies at every single meal or snack, regardless of if the main thing is raw or not).

On the breast-feeding thing, here is a list of fish for pregnant women and how often they should eat them; hopefully it helps you out! http://www.ewg.org/safefishlist?gclid=CPK2zML2i5gCFRFWagodTxPT8w

Kazzie: real mayo is made with raw eggs! The recipe from Alton Brown is here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/mayonnaise-recipe/index.html, but of course I would use raw honey or agave instead of sugar, probably ACV instead of white wine, and then I think EVOO would give it a nice flavor instead of safflower oil (shudder).

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Kazzie~ In the 1970's I made my mayo and it was much better than store bought, the recipe KhaasLadki offered you sounds good with his or her suggestions... But save your arm and use a blender, I made mine in a regular kitchen Oster blender of the "dark ages"... LOL

KhaasLadki~ Thanks for the mercury fish website, I was wondering just last night about which fishes were the lowest in mercury...

Birdofparadise~ The egg is a complete grade 1 protein full of albumin which is vital for our immune system and our brain... It is my understanding that salmonella is in the yoke and multiplies rapidly while the egg is warm, following being layed... The salmonella multiplication is slowed when refrigerated but not stopped... Also the out side of the shell can have contaminates, so it might be best to wash them before cracking... And always maintain good hygiene while making your desired recipe.. Good luck with your experiments and good health to you!!!

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

I have always heard that the salmonella is actually on the shell so like waterbaby said good idea to always wash the egg throughly before cracking.

and i think it is ok to talk about eating eggs it is just when the trolls came and were purposely trying to upset everyone that was bad.

I think honest questions are suitable if you were blantely wanting to upset people that are trying to become vegan by throwing it in their faces that would be quite a different story. making these kinds of changes for health reason for one example can be very hard for some. I have a hard time with it my self. but real questions do not bother me.

at least that is my opinoin.

enjoy and stay safe.

waterbaby12347 - You're welcome! I had actually wanted to look that up myself, but never got around to it. ;-). Oh - it's a she! lol - I just realized my picture would make it fairly hard to tell... my bad! Hahaha.

I like the idea of washing the eggs before using them - I buy mine from a guy who just picks them up and puts them in cartons... the thought never crossed my mind to sanitize the outside before pushing my fingers into the edible part! Ewwww... lol

LOL - yes I had that as my pic right after The Dark Knight came out last year and forgot all about changing it! lol thank you for the compliment...

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

Hey, great new pic Khass! Not quite "so serious". lol Anyhow, I've been trying to put up a new photo since the new year so maybe I'll give it another shot tomorrow. Could be the new one was just to large BUT it kept telling me it was resized to fit and then it would put the old one back up. ARG! Well, if you still dont see me tomorrow, I give.

gratefultobe - I had this problem, too. It took me 3 or 4 tries to figure it out! I had to delete my photo, then make sure my new photo's dimensions were 85x85 or less (you can resize it on Photobucket.com or on your computer, most of the time), and then uploaded it and it worked. I guess it's supposed to resize them and it just doesn't! Good luck on getting your photo up!

Sorry - not changing the subject too much, I hope...

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Wow where did Heath Ledger go??? KhaasLadki~ So nice to see YOU and know that not only are you a female but a beautiful one at that!!!

Please do clean those dirty shells before cracking, think bird poop... GROSS eurp!!! Sorry I just threw-up... Can you say, histoplasmosis???

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

By gum, it worked! hugs!!

• KhassLadki

Thank you for that I will have a go at making a raw version as I miss mayo very much. I have never tried raw eggs so it will be interesting.

Waterbaby

I will try in the blender anything to save time.

Many thanks everyone