Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

mouse in the house

teadeteade Raw Newbie

I just noticed a mouse crawling around in my apartment.. and I notice he must like the smells from my dehydrator as he’s always going around it.

Any tips on how to get rid of a mouse and not kill it?

Comments

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Hi teade~ You can get a “no kill” mouse trap from hardware or home depot type stores. You actually might be able to get one from a drug store (I would call before going there). Here’s a example of a no kill trap that is kinda cute. Have fun…

• There’s no such thing as “one mouse” in an apartment. Where there is one, there are dozens.

The best thing to do is to crawl around every inch of your apartment with steel wool and stop up every hole so they can’t get in anymore. That’s what I did 20 years ago, and I’ve never seen another mouse. I also put mouse poison in each hole before the steel wool. (Do this with an exterminator – the mice are immune to the poison you get in the store.)

Mice in your kitchen are dangerous to your health, and it’s not practical to try and trap them all and put them outside (where they will die of the cold). Dying is natural. We all must die. Hunting is natural. This is the time for the mice in your apartment.

• grasshopper Deletedgrasshopper Deleted Raw Newbie

HI teade-

Try peppermint oil, or loose peppermint tea. Mice do not like it and it will send them packing. You can put the oil on cotton and leave it around. Also try
    Dr.Bronner’s peppermint soap To clean floors etc.

I am thinking of growing peppermint this summer to keep them out of the garden.

Creativelycc
  • PonyGirlPonyGirl Raw Newbie

I love animals, but when a mouse dares enter my domain I figure it’s time for that mouse to “go see God.” I have no problem with traps. A good meal and the great transformation… Mice carry diseases and do not belong in a healthy home.

Creativelycc
  • kandacekandace Raw Newbie

We had mice in our studio for about a week. We used the no kill traps and trapped 2 mice with the trap (using raw almond butter as bait), one with a CD holder and someone in the office next to us trapped a couple with the no kill traps as well. All the mice were released into a small field across the train tracks from our studo. After that, there hasn’t been another sighting.

A long time ago I lived in a house that seemed to have chronic mouse issues. We had a friend’s cat over for a week and the mice went away.

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

I have a mouse (or mice), too. I need to take care of the issue. We have a cat who is of no use in this area. :-(

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

thanks everyone
    I was sprouting some chickpeas and the little mouse really liked them.. haha,
    and I guess it makes it worse that I’m probably the only person in the apartment without a cat, so they come to mine!!
    But I bought the trap but haven’t seen the mouse at all..
    I’m keeping it of course just in case.

• Oh my word, I had a mouse when I began making those tasty carrot pecan burgers in the dehydrator. I find the sticky traps work well. My partner usually finds them, them dumps them outside where they belong, to forage on their own without the help of the human kitchen. I started dehydrating on a table away from my counter top. I also keep food in tight containers, all fruits, and produce are in the fridge or hanging baskets. I haven’t had many mice since. I think only one I can recall.

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

Awww, haha. I wish I could get a cat! I just don’t think I’d be able to provide for it the way it deserved, and with school and work it’d probably not get enough attention.
    But they are sooo loving. I remember my cat (my mom’s cat) used to curl up with me when I went to bed. And she’d always be there when I cried and stuff.
    aw..

I noticed my little mice don’t like to eat my sprouting lentils…
    but they love my chickpeas and pecans!
    And they won’t go in that darn no-kill trap!

• johnfjohnf Raw Newbie

One way is to use electric rat traps, Victor for example.

Another is to use mouse repellers.

• renib Deletedrenib Deleted Raw Newbie

When I was living in Montreal we had a mouse living in the walls but we would let it live there as throwing it out in the cold would've killed it.