Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Substitute for Bananas?

I am trying to cut back on sugar and would like to know if there is anything I can use in place of bananas since they are very high in sugar.

Thanks!

Comments

• I’ve wondered about this for so long.. I’d like to stop buying bananas alltogether.. if anyone knows any things that work i’d also like to know!

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

Are you looking for something to substitute bananas for in smoothies? I use pears to give it creaminess.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

courgette / zucchini also goes creamy when blended.

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Yeah, as much as I LOVE bananas I feel so much better after eliminating them from my diet. Pears sound like a decent replacement though ;-)

• I use persimmons instead of bananas in my smoothies. I can’t stomach bananas. I’m not sure if persimmons contain less sugar than bananas but they make a creamy smoothie as well.

• I also do not eat any bananas. Bananas in the US are all gassed, even the organic ones. They are grown organic, but brought to the US and gassed in rooms to turn them from green to yellow. Ugh. Fuju persimmons make smoothies thicker. Pears are good, high in pectin. Although persimmons have even more pectin. I like to make Persimmon Sauce for breakfast: 1 med orange, (peeled and chunked) put in blender first and blend. Add 2 cups fuju semi-soft (not real hard) persimmons and blend. If needed at a TBLS of water. Oh and blend in 1/4” of fresh ginger root slice. Yum. Makes a lovely big bowl.

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Matt tries to avoid bananas (I don’t even bother trying, I feel good with them at the moment) so he eats a lot of durian. I can’t stand it but he can buy one and it gives him a good creamy smoothie base for 3 days. Or one big meal when he’s being piggish :c)

• Avocadoes are a lovely creamy substitute in recipes and young coconut milk is a great source of potassium (like bananas :) )