Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Chefs, can you help?

sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Hello everyone, I will shortly be writing my raw food recipe book and have noticed that when measuring out ingredients by the spoonful there are variations between the UK and US. I want my book to appeal to my US friends as well as UK raw foodies and need to clarify certain measurements. If any of you can help, I would be most grateful.
For example, here in the UK 2 dessertspoons= 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons= 1 dessertspoon. Is the difference going to be huge between the measurements I will be giving that I am used to using?

Comments

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

hi sweetpea im not a chef but i am an avid cook…i personally would be confused by the term dessert spoon unless it is explained in parentheses after its used. what im used to seeing is tablespoon, teaspoon ect thats just my two cents however…;) i am glad to know what dessertspoon is, thanks!

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

1 Tablespoon = 3 teaspoons So on the US side there is a big difference between the two instead of only double the quantity as 2 dessertspoons = 1 dessertspoon full. When you do your book electronically, you could always do a “find and replace” all instances of dessertspoons and change the wording easily that way. I thought 1 dessertspoon = 1 Tablesoon…I would have been wrong I now see ;) I also do not know what dessertspoon is. Looking forward to your book :)

• Honestly, I’ve never heard of a dessertspoon as a measuring tool before.

• A conversion chart in the front of the book for US readers should suffice.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Thank you for all your help. It seems the dessertspoon is what you’re not familiar with. I will use teaspoon and tablespoon to keep it simple. They’re close enough for my recipes but I will mention about UK and US differences somewhere. Incidentally, what is the spoon size you use to eat your soup and take dessert with?

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

sweetpea wrote:
    Incidentally, what is the spoon size you use to eat your soup and take dessert with?

It’s called a soup spoon and it’s not a set size but varies by silver pattern. If a spoon is needed for dessert, a teaspoon is used. I know, I know, we’re basically heathens ;^))

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

lol Greenie! it’s really interesting, thank you. Maybe it’s because Brits love their puddings so much they invented a spoon especially so they could eat big mouthfuls ie the dessertspoon!!