Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Rawvolution's chicken-less soup too strong!

So I just made this tonight for the first time. The base for the soup broth is daikon juice. The whole thing was WAY too strong for me! Does anybody have any suggestions on how to tone it down? Did I just pick daikon that was too strong? Or am I just a wimp since I’m a new raw foodie?

Comments

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Try adding some water. Maybe a dash of agave nectar or lemon. Maybe all three! Experiment and play with your food.

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

Oh my god, I once made the mistake of juicing daikon. I practically projectile vomited. It is strong!!!
    You could blend some cucumber into the soup. Cucumber makes a nice base.

• I made this this too and WOW!! daikon juice! HOT! I just totally wrote this recipe off! Daikon was all I could taste!

• ok, good. So I’m not the only one! :)

It does have water & lemon juice in it already. I could water it down more or try some agave or cucumber. I have those on hand (and I definitely have left-overs from dinner) so maybe I’ll try one of those things for lunch tomorrow! Thank you!

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

Fat (like blending in some avocado or olive oil) will help tone it down.

Happy New Year!
    Kristen’s Raw

• I tried adding agave nectar to part of the broth and that made it taste worse. So adding cucumber juice, olive oil and turmeric helped me to get this soup down.

I want to finish eating the soup since “Daikon is very low in calories. A 3 ounce serving contains only 18 calories and provides 34 percent of the RDA for vitamin C. Rich in vitamin C, daikon contains active enzymes that aid digestion, particularly of starchy foods”
    http://whatscookingamerica.net/DaikonRadish.htm>

BUT

I don’t plan on making the broth with daikon ever again. No way :-(

• I’ve had trouble with alot of recipes in this book turning out favorably. Anyone else?

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

yeah I love the raw tacos…so does my bf…he always demands I make them, LOL!

• greenridge – I’ve had problems with a few, but there are some great ones too!
    Not a fan of the onion soup, for example.

• I made this soup three times so far, it's my favorite recipe in the book. I added peas and carrots to try and add some sweetness. I found that when I kept it in the fridge for a few days the strong almost radish type taste of the daikon faded a bit. Most of the recipies in this book...just don't turn out well for me.