Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Greens addiction?!

O.K., this is going to sound a little ridiculous and a trifle bizarre, but I’m wondering if there can be an “addiction” to greens. Lately, I’ve been really simplifying my diet—no gourmet recipes, way fewer fats (both oils and nuts) and no dehydrated foods (wasn’t big on those to begin with, anyway). Now I find myself craving greens like crazy—kale, collards, beet greens, spinach. I’ve been doing a green smoothie in the morning and green salads for lunch and dinner. I eat a lot of fruit, too, and that really satisfies any sweet cravings. I feel great, and knock wood, have not gotten sick this winter (and I work with a lot of kids who are coughing/sniffling in my face!). Anyway, I wondered if any of you have had this experience, and if you ever reach a point where you become totally sick of anything green! This is nothing earth shattering or monumental…just wondering :)

Comments

• Sounds like your doing everything right Mon46. I am basically the same, low fat with lots of fruit and greens in simple meals. I often reach a point when I am sick of greens (thats when I know to stop eating). Same goes for fruit and fats. I think it is because once you are on a natural, simple diet of whole foods your body is really able to zero into what it needs.

James

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I’m headed that way too. Greens have now become my favourite food, above everything else. It is what I crave and think about more than anything else.

• Greens and fruit make up most of my diet. Simple, clean, yummy, and just what my body needs right now.

• Yay—glad to know I’m not alone. I recently read Boutenko’s “12 Steps to Raw”,and she also mentioned there are various phases in the transition to raw. I like this one.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Mon46~ I’ll trade you my addiction for your greens addiction. ;)

• Bluedolfin: And your addiction is….??!!

Processed food :( ... I don’t think you want this addition. But I would like to have yours! :)

• We all have something (well,at least I do)! After months of drinking no coffee, I have succumbed intermittently to the aroma emitted from my husband’s morning pot of coffee. Usually about a half cup a few times a week (when the lemon water just doesn’t cut it), but enough to make me feel guilty and physically crappy when I “fall.” Still, I feel so good with how my diet is going overall, that I’ve gotten a little better at forgviving myself, knowing that this will eventually run its course.

Mon46~ Thank you for your support. Yes, I know we all have our “areas” even if some don’t admit to them… I just would love to crave greens. That is awesome. :)

PS. I rarely drink coffee… if I do, it is usually in the form of an iced mocha… That is one addiction I don’t have to deal with… However, chocolate is a running theme in my life. ;)

• Yea, I just think the coffee thing is going to be a long-term back and forth thing for me. I do love dark chocolate as well, but for some reason have not craved it for a very long time. It makes me wonder about why some things are easy for some to give up and difficult for others. Obviously, we’re all wired differently with different foods providing different feelings of comfort or even safety. I also think it’s important not to aspire to be “super” people. What makes us human is all our quirks and weaknesses. Still, it’s always great to aspire to better health. This includes questioning why we have the cravings we have and not beating ourselves up for the “unhealthy” ones in the meantime. I’m still trying to learn that one!

I know the chocolate thang for me is very hormonal based… there are times I don’t even think about it and other times I would give my left arm for some. I agree with the other stuff you said and am in the same “it’s a human thang” boat with you. Do you see the gazillions that are also in the same boat? Boy, is this boat HUGE. ;)

• Oh yeah, big, big boat! With many levels and variations. I try to remember that when I start having judgments about how other people are eating. Yes, I try to hide them from myself, but they’re there. So while I’m judging them, someone is judging me, and so on and so on and so on…And then you can only ask yourself “Who am I to judge?”. Makes me feel a little sheepish yet human at the same time.

I think the game is not to “not judge” but to realize when one is judging and go forward from there. Can you hear the screaming in your head “I don’t wanna! I’m right!”? Mine is sure loud at times.

• Good point!

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

I’ve become addicted to greens and green smoothies! If I dont have a green smoothie in the morning now, I drag allllll day long. I just recently went back to coffee….ugh! It’s a hard habit for me to break. And dark chocolate…cant give that up yet. So good vice (greens) and not so good vice (caffeine) and Ill call it even-ish ;)

• I think is great that you have become “addicted” to something which is so good and healthy for you. It also depends on how we use the term addiction. Sometimes your body will crave something that is bad for you such as in a drug addiction or at other times your body may crave what it actually needs at that time.

I have had many bad addictions over the years, many of which I am now rid of and some I am still trying to conquer, and would now like to crave only those things which are beneficial to me.