Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Newbie - question about detox

Hi there,
I have been following Natalia’s Rose’s book somewhat this past month. Mainly I have started juicing in the morning with fruit throughout the morning and then eating a muesli type mix of nuts/seeds with almond milk. Snacks are larabars. Then I eat a cooked dinner with the family.

My question is this: would starting the raw food life such as this cause me to detox at all? This past few weeks I have been feeling awful and didn’t know if it would be because of changing my diet like this or if I need to look for another cause? Thank you for your help!

Comments

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

I bet you’re in detox. Eating a more pure diet will cause you to detox. The more pure the diet, the more quickly and intensely you will detox. If you were eating all raw and fewer nuts, you’d probably feel a lot worse, although that would be good news because you’d get all the toxins out quicker.
    The only other thing I can think of is if you’re not getting a nutrient you need, maybe that’s why you’re not feeling well, but I’d bet that it’s just detox.

• skizzyskizzy Raw Newbie

oh yes! when i first started eating raw i usually had one cooked meal a day, sometimes a little more, and i still experienced detox. you don’t have to be 100% or even 90% to have detox. i had them at about 75-80%.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

I work with some effective supplements and people who were detoxing have reported “experiencing” a chemical high from drugs they had consumed many, many years ago that were stored in the body and were being released. Detoxing is the body recognizing stored and floating “crap”, releasing/dumping all sorts of toxins including stored drugs (prescribed/recreational), dead cells, etc. into the lymph system that gets rid of them. If you are not ridding your body (via sweat, poop, etc.) of the toxins as fast as they are being released, you feel bad from the build in your system. Try doubling your water intake and adding the juice of 1/4 fresh lemon to every few glasses of water you drink. This might speed up getting rid of the crap… which is a good thing. :)

• Thank you everyone for your reply. I just found this website and it is so helpful getting started.

I am glad to have found the cause of why I feel so crummy. Take care.

• Hang in there lorig—it does get better! I also followed Natalia Rose’s detox diet when I started on this raw journey in May 2007. Each body deals with detox in its own way. I felt cold/flu symptoms every few weeks for several months. I rested, drank lots of water, went in the sauna, took soak baths. The junk worked its way out and I am almost 100% raw now and feeling GREAT!!! It takes time to get through years of not treating our bodies well.
    You can do it!

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Definately hang in there. When I went raw,I actually went at least 90 percent raw right away. I didn’t know that wasn’t recommended. For the first few days I felt wonderful, then I felt almost like I had flu! I was in the bathroom half the time, lol. After about a month, things started to right themselves, but I’m still detoxing. Just my own feelings: I think that some of the detoxing symptoms might be because our bodie are pouring out huge amounts of stomach acids and bile, thinking we are going to eat cooked foods and/or meats and cooked fats. It’s hard for your body to handle over-loads of acid and bile. It takes a while to readjust to the easier-to-digest raw vegan foods, because even though they are much easier to digest, there is all that crap being poured into your system. I found that grapefruit juice with ginger was helpful for body aches. Whole apples and bananas if you have the runs. (sorry for being crude) Make sure you get plenty of dark greens for your calcium. Oh and I am in LOVE now with hot salt baths! (I”m at 99 percent raw now and into my third month)

• I have started eating raw for about 4 days now. I have a slight headache and wonder if I am detoxing. Also I have noticed that my sense of smell seems hightened. Especially when around cooked food. Sometimes in makes me queezy.Is this normal?

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

BLUEDOLPHIN - I am doing my first cleanse right now. You think it is possible that I could get high from drugs I took years ago? Wow, this could get interesting. LOL.

Dain5000~ Depending on how deep the cleanse goes and what drugs your body has stored and is willing to give up… well… yes… Just be aware of it that it could happen and if you start feeling it coming on you can deal with it. BTW, it is not like a flashback. Wild, ha?

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I’ve been about 80 percent raw for a while with no real detox symptoms but last week I decided to finally cut out dairy completley (the one thing I was holding onto) and have had headaches and been sleeping easily 10 hours a night

• Bluedolphin- Do you know anything about people that have taken anxiety medicines like paxil and it stay in the body for several years. I took paxil several years back and had terrible side effects from just taking it a week or so. I still to this day don’t feel the way I did before taking this horrible medicine. If only she would of taken some blood then she would of know it was my throid that was causing me to feel awful..not that I was depressed. I was curious if I were to detox could this happen to me?

dnacol~ As with any medication or other substance that is introduced to the body, if it is stored and one’s body decides to release it (which in the long run is a good thing) you might feel the effects. This is a big “might”, there is only a potential! Regardless, the “stuff” is on the way out! Let the experience get flushed along with the other stuff that comes out. :) If you have a deep concern, have a health professional monitor you if you decide to take on a cleansing or anything else that might trigger a release. It might cost a few bucks, but is that more expensive than peace of mind? Just be aware and do what you feel you need to do. Does this make any sense to you? Is this what you were asking about? Sorry to hear you had a difficult experience.

• I wanted to ask something to see if anyone else has had a similar experience. I got off of birth control pills in July, and from August to November I was constantly sick with the flu or things like it. Getting sick had nothing to do with getting off the pills, but it inspired me to make a change. The second to last time I was sick I said “That’s enough!” and I learned about going raw and did it. I did a slow transition. Now, after getting off pills in July (i got off because i learned how detrimental it is to my body and i felt HORRIBLE) I had two strange, light and irregular periods. Once I was late a month and a half. After beginning to go raw, I didn’t have a period for 3 months. For the past 2 months I’ve been about 50 to 70% raw and have felt pretty awesome. I’ve been staying up later and having more energy, skin cleared up, lost weight, no sicknesses and all my headaches and acid indigestion has disappeared. BUT still no periods.

So, my question is: Did I not have periods for the past 3 months (2 raw months) because I was detoxing and the hormones were being re-released into my blood system? I have around 2 years worth probably stored up in my body somewhere. Or is it completely unrelated?? I finally had my first real period since July yesterday. I slept 17 hours yesterday and 15 today, I have a slight headache and feel like doing nothing. Is this menstruation coming as part of detoxing or is it just good ‘ol fashioned PMS?? Anybody have any experiences or thoughts that may go with my situation?