Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What is raw?

I have some questions I was hoping you could answer.

1. What exactly makes something raw? Is there a certain temperature something cannot be heated to?

2. What happens during dehydration?

3. Would these ingredients be considered raw?:
Organic rolled oats, organic evaporated cane juice, organic soy oil, organic brown rice flour, organic pumpkin seeds, organic flaxseeds, organic oat syrup solids, sea salt, organic molasses, rice bran extract, organic cinnamon.

Comments

• Technically, nothing heated over 115 degrees or so is considered raw.Some argue over it’s optimalness once it’s tampered with even at low dehydrating temperatures, though. It’s hard to find truly raw rolled oats, as most are steamed. I don’t think cane juice is raw. Soy oil definitely isn’t, neither is any type of flower or the rice bran extract or molasses. Spices and seeds and are usually available raw, but then again the legitimateness is also argued often.

• Thanks!
    But what about the syrup and rice flour?

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

A good place to start is looking at the dead-food list on purelyraw.com: http://www.purelyraw.com/deadfoodlist.htm

The site is hosted by Zoe and Chris, who also participate on this site. You’ll see their names quite often. Their dead-food list seems quite accurate and complete. Good luck!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Flaxseeds are raw.
    Pumpkin seeds can be raw, so long as they’re not roasted and salted !!
    Sea salt can be raw, check the box and manufacturer to see if there are any additives, some add anti caking agents. Yuk!
    Cinnamon is raw.
    Everything else on your list is not raw.

Cane juice – you will have to ask the manufacturer if it is sun evaporated or done mechanically, ask them if it has been heated. I’d hazard a guess and say it is not raw. If you find out it is then post that on here I’m sure everyone would like to know! But also if it is canned or in a jar then it has been pasteurised or steam sterilised regardless of whether or not it has been sun dried.

Syrup of any kind is usually made by boiling a thinner liquid down. I would say that oat syrup solids are definately not raw…all oats are steamed unless they specifically say they haven’t been.

All rice is steamed, blanched or boiled during processing so rice flour is not raw.

Hope that helps. Much of this info can be found by googling the suspect ingredient with the word “processing” in the search.

• Usually a raw diet is often strait vegan also. Some people choose to use unpasteurized milk and raw fish but it’s not vegan.