Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Soaking vs. Sprouting

What is the main difference and nutritional difference between soaking a nut or seed and sprouting them?

Comments

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

To add to that… I would like to know what is “life force”, how to measure it, and what does it do in the body?

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

RAWJIM - I never conversed with another person who actually knew who Madame Blavatsky was. I’m impressed!

I know what you mean. While I can appreciate the sentiment in “life force,” there is no objective evidence. As dead on as I find ancient buddhist studies to be, I still have to wonder if the ancient ones were just misinterpretting what they knew because there is no objective proof to much of what they understood. I am still trying to figure out if my consciousness is “spiritual” or merely a byproduct of chemical processes in my brain. However, when I think that there is no life force and everything is just a degree of science yet unlearned, I want to start saving for my cryonic chamber.

As for my original question, I think soaking removes the enzyme inhibitors and sprouting open the seed to create a new offspring and possibly multiplying the energy potential of the seed or nut, but I am not sure.

• Science & philosophy aside, it’s just more appealing to me to each a little growing plant.

I find the qi, chi, prana, etc. discussion interesting. But after having studied martial arts, yoga, buddhism, etc. for a while, I agree that there are a lot of “unproven” things thrown into those practices. I lean more on science. But even more, I lean on my instincts, including how I feel.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

From what I understand, enzyme activity is increased the longer you germinate. And, most seeds has the most nutrition when it sprouts a tail 1/4” long.

I referenced page 125, in Dr. Howell’s Enzyme Nutrition book… and an example he gave was of trypsin (a proteolytic enzyme secreted by the pancreas) in a lettuce seed. This enzyme increases activity… from 7.5 at 0 hours of germination to 333 at 72 hours of germination. The enzyme inhibitor is 100% removed after 24 hours of germination.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

From what I understand, enzyme activity is increased the longer you germinate. And, most seeds has the most nutrition when it sprouts a tail 1/4” long.

To double check, I checked Dr. Howell’s Enzyme Nutrition book… page 125… and an example he gave was of trypsin (a proteolytic enzyme secreted by the pancreas) in a lettuce seed. This enzyme increases activity… from 7.5 activity units at 0 hours of germination to 333.0 activity units at 72 hours of germination. The enzyme inhibitor is 100% removed after 24 hours of germination.

Wow, I read this book a long time ago, so I forgot some things… just a few pages before (pg 122) it reads, when “protein is eaten with protein inhibitors, the pancreas secretes more enzymes than it would produce if the inhibitors were not consumed.”

• DreaDrea Raw Master

So, if a recipe calls for something sprouted can you just soak your nuts and seeds and get the same result?