Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

frozen foods?

What is everyone’s view on using frozen fruits and veggies? Is it still raw? Nutritious? Any comments/info appreciated.

Comments

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

frozen fruits= good frozen veggies=not as good

If you are looking to go 100% frozen veggies are out. They are blanched in hot water before they freeze them. Frozen fruit is OK, but you will loose some of the nutrients. Fresh is always best, but Im sure you already know that :)

• Thanks for the info…you confirmed what I was thinking!

• so humanimal, frozen fruits/veggies still have SOME nutrients? I’m wondering if it’s worth it to eat frozen stuff.. or if it’s just as bad as the cooked.

• you dont want to eat things that come in boxes or cans. fresh organic food is what you want. you want the food to be living food.

no Im not saying it is bad to eat frozen fruits. Just dont make it a habit. Frozen fruits do loose some a their nutrients during the freezing process. If you have no other option that eating frozen veggies is better than eating cooked food. But like I said with the frozen fruits don’t make it a habit. jaymz72 is right, no boxed and def NO canned food. Did you hear about the dog and cat recall? many dogs and cats were poisoned by canned foods.Dont think that it cant happen to us too.

• I put this comment at the end of one of the recipes, but here’s what I can report. I’ve emailed companies and asked them what they do with their fresh frozen veggies, because I like peas on my salad. Its a convenience to simply thaw out some peas for my salad instead of shucking them from the pod. Whole Foods (365 brand) blanches them, Cascadian Farms flash freezes them.

wow cool. Cascadian Farms it is :) Thanks for the info!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I used to use frozen corn before I knew it was blanched and the crackers I made with it always had this funny odd smell. Now I use raw corn off the cob, with no strange smells or weird tastes. I just think raw food ingredients and cooked food ingredients don’t really mix that well. I made a mashed potato reciepe once, early on in my raw journey, and the instructions were to blanch the cauliflower, I dutifully followed the instructions thinking the chef knew best, and the result was so utterly foul that it took about a year until I could eat raw cauliflower again! I have made the same recipe recently with raw cauliflower and it is delicious. Keep it raw!

• After I had read this forum I remembered this recipe in Alissa Cohen’s book. The recipe is for enchiladas. Her wrapper is made of corn. She specifically indicates that you should use frozen corn, because it works better for the recipe. I’ve tried the recipe and it is really good. But I agree with you about raw corn. I had never had raw corn before I went mostly raw (I’m not 100%). Raw corn rocks! While my family eats cooked corn on the cob, I sit over there and have the sweetness that is raw corn.

• gasp- i didn’t know you could eat raw corn!! right off the cob?

i rarely eat things that come from a can.. stopped that a while ago! So does flash freezing harm the vegetables/fruit LESS than traditional freezing..?

Are you serious!!! Go out and find your self some raw corn pronto!

• Raw corn rocks!! Love it, love it, love it!

We mostly just use frozen fruit in smoothies, but will probably try to do more fresh with some ice…

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

I tried that recipe by Alissa Cohen and mine taste weird because the frozen corn gave it a weird taste in my opinion.