Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

safe cleaning products

Can anyone recommend any safe cleaning products for the home. I usually use strong chemical smelling products that I know can’t be good for my family. Any home remedies for cleaning the bathroom?

Comments

• Baking Soda is not as powerful as some cleaning products but you can use it to scrub the sink and toilets. Lemon juice is good also. For overall cleaning like for counters what I do is get fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme, mint and boil them in water and let it stand till cool and put in spray bottle and use it to clean countertops. You can also us Dr. Bronners Soap for cleaning

• For mopping floors I only use vinegar. I usually boil a big pot of water (because I’m a clean freak) & mix in vinegar. For scrubbing bathrooms I use baking soda. And for kitchen I either use a spray bottle with grape fruit seed oil & water or I use a store bought eco friendly cleaner mixed with water. I’ll also occasionally sprinkle baking soda on my carpets before vacuuming.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I really like the Seventh Generation products. I use their laundry detergent and softener, toilet cleaner and dish soap. I use vegetable oil based soaps for floor cleaning and general purpose (Ecover right now, I think). For bleaching needs, I’ll use the oxygen based products or peroxide.

• I really like method products. they are eco friendly and nontoxic. check out www.methodhome.com if you want to know more. i think they carry it at target. they have air fresheners (scents like fresh cut grass!), bathroom cleaners, floor cleaners, mops, wood and stainless steel cleaner, window, tile, and all-purpose….tons of good products. the company itself manufactures in buildings that are “green” and do some other eco friendly things that i can’t remember..

• thanks everyone for the great tips. I think I will try the baking soda and also the spray bottle with some type of herbs.. good idea! I have heard about seventh generation but for now I am on a tight budget…I stay at home with my daughter so we basically live pay check to pay check for now!!

• Here are a few of the recipes I use at home. I also stay at home with the kids and am on a limited budget. Hope you find these helpful!

All-Purpose Cleaner: Mix 1/2 cup vinegar and 1/4 cup baking soda into 1/2 gallon (2 liters) water. Store and keep. Use for removal of water deposit stains on shower stall panels, bathroom chrome fixtures, windows, bathroom mirrors, etc.

Carpet stains: Mix equal parts white vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Spray directly on stain,let sit for several minutes, and clean with a brush or sponge using warm water.

Rust Remover: Sprinkle a little salt on the rust, squeeze a lime over the salt until it is well soaked. Leave the mixture on for 2 – 3 hours. Use leftover rind to scrub residue.

Scouring Powder: For top of stove, refrigerator and other such surfaces that should not be scratched, use baking soda. Apply baking soda directly with a damp sponge.

Shoe Polish: Olive oil with a few drops of lemon juice can be applied to shoes with a thick cotton or terry rag. Leave for a few minutes; wipe and buff with a clean, dry rag.

Toilet Bowl Cleaner: Mix 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 cup vinegar, pour into basin and let it set for a few minutes. Scrub with brush and rinse.

Window Cleaner: Mix 2 teaspoons of white vinegar with 1 liter (qt) warm water. Use crumpled newspaper or cotton cloth to clean. Don’t clean windows if the sun is on them, or if they are warm, or streaks will show on drying.

• wow mtnflwr those are some really good tips..I am going to write them down. Any suggestions on an alternative laundary detergent and dishwasher soap?? thanks

• sadly, I haven’t come up with any good ones or found any online. I tend to stay with Dr. Bronners dish soap and 7th Gen. for laundry, but they’re somewhat pricey and I’ll admit I by borax when I’m strapped for cash!

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

this is sort of on topic: anyone have ideas about simple ways to clean your jewerly?

• I havn’t made my own laundry soap yet but i found this sight. http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm

Homemade Laundry Soap

1/3 bar Fels Naptha or other type of soap, as listed above

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

youryogi,

I ordered some of the soap nuts. They look fantastic. Thank you for posting the link.

• For your dishwasher put a TBS washing soda and TBS Borax. In your rinse dispenser fill with vinegar every couple of runs. I mix 2 cups of each and store it so I dont have to mix every time.