Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Kombucha mushroom raw tea recipe

I’m getting a Kombucha mushroom tomorrow (which I’m excited about) and I cannot wait to make a tea out of it. The recipes which I’ve seen so far call for sugar though, does anyone have a “raw” recipe to make it. The benefits are supposed to be incredible and the taste addicting. Does anyone here use it alot?

Comments

• I’d be interested too. Always seen the kombucha mushroom growing in boiled black tea and sugar.

• I received a beautiful kombucha mushroom from my raw mentor and have fermented a few lovely batches with black sun-brewed-tea and certified organic/fair trade raw cane sugar. Good luck with yours!

• Thank you! I’ve been drinking it for several days. I LOVE IT!!! Did some research on my own. I made it with raw organic sugar (because from the research I did it’s very very hard and not effective when done with agave or honey). The mushroom actually feeds off the sugar and eats it up somehow, so you’re really not getting sugar in the tea really. Do some research, it’s so interesting. When I did some, I was getting overwhelmed thinking it was so hard. But it’s not!!! I got an easy peasy recipe and it was a cinch! Have fun guys!

• My mushroom sure loves simple sugars. The first batch I made was with sucanat and it didn’t turned out great. When I gave him raw sugar, I had a great batch of kombucha. I felt giddy :)
    I like to make mine with half black tea and half a blend of rose hips and hibiscus.
    What tea do you guys use?

• Although I always try to use loose-leaf organic black or green tea, I was out of both when I decanted my prevous batch so I used what I had on hand: non-organic Bigelow pumpkin spice and I gotta say: it tastes teriffic!

• skizzyskizzy Raw Newbie

this is interesting. i tried to drink the bottled kombucha tea a few times and found it terrible. does the home-brewed mushroom version taste as vinegary as the bottled stuff?

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I used to make kombucha all the time. Temperature in my house kept me from making it all winter. This is the best website that I’ve found on kombucha.

http://www.happyherbalist.com/analysis_of_kombu…

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Thats a great website.
    It says on there that you can use raw honey to make the tea. In fact it specifies to only use raw honey and not heated honey – if you’re going to use honey at all.

• Excellent website. Thanks for reference 123.

• jeshuabrownjeshuabrown Raw Newbie

I’ve been brewing for about a month now. All is well, except recently we’ve had some batches w/no fizz. I suspect the lids. Can you all share your bottling experience-will canning jars work? Thanks!

• Jeshuabrown, I used a hug milk jar and cover the top with a piece of cotton with a rubber band around it. No lids and it can breathe.

I used organic white tea for my batch and I love it.

• skizzyskizzy Raw Newbie

i’ve read a few websites and a few of them said not to use honey at all, even raw, because honey is antimicrobial and will harm the mushroom.

those of you brewing now: does the tea taste vinegary?

• My first sip was “wow, this tastes like apple cider vinager pop”, but now after a few days of drinking it, it reminds me more of pop without the vinager. I don’t know why.
    Hope tht helps Skizzy.

• Although I do not brew my own, I drink it alomost every day (GTs raw Kombucha); I will say as a seasoned Kombucha drinker, I love it and really look forward to my Kombucha, and am sad when I don’t get to drink it in a day. I am excite for you all on your Kombucha journey. Let me know if you’ve flavored it, GT uses Cranberries, Blueberries and lemons to name a few of his flavors. I don’t brew it because I live in the Caribbean and can’t get a mushroom down here, plus I travel so much I am just afriad of all the bad Karma if it died… so I buy it (ouch, expensive down here!!!)
    ENJOY!!!

• jeshuabrown – I got really fizzy komnbucha when I bottled my tea. I took used bottles of kombucha which I cleaned and sterilized and poured my ready kombucha in. I stored them in the fridge for 5-7 days and the tea became really fizzy.
    Let me know how it worked out for you!

• jeshuabrownjeshuabrown Raw Newbie

Ok, I only put lids on bottles after one week of brewing. I then let them sit for a few days. It’s been going fine until recently. We get some with fizz and some not form the same batch so it seems to be the bottles. We use GT’s bottles, and tighten them very tightly. Perhaps canning jars shouldbe used! Mine doesn’t taste like vinegar unless it’s flat. Also, I put goji berries chlorella sometimes. Also, if you put grape juice, it really ferments/fizzes!

• Skizzy

You can also control the flavor of your tea by how long you let it ferment. The longer you do it, the stronger the vinegar taste. I’ve found that I like the taste best around the 12th day of brewing. I like it tarter and not quite so sweet. My friend likes hers best at 7-8 days as it’s sweeter. Just experiment and see where you like the flavor best.