Food For Thought

(I found this on sciencedaily.com)

‘In a finding that defies conventional culinary wisdom, researchers in Italy report that cooking vegetables can preserve or even boost their nutritional value in comparison to their raw counterparts, depending on the cooking method used.

Nicoletta Pellegrini and colleagues note that although many people maintain that eating raw vegetables is more nutritious than eating cooked ones, a small but growing number of studies suggest that cooking may actually increase the release of some nutrients. However, scientists are seeking more complete data on the nutritional properties of cooked vegetables, the researchers say.

In the new study, the researchers evaluated the effects of three commonly-used Italian cooking practices

Comments

• kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

a lot of people discussed this issue on a post i put up a while back about cooking carrots

they started talking about dead birds and 2012 but i think the overall consensus on cooked vegetables was that you might have a higher quantity of one type of nutrient in the vegetable because of cooking but that it doesn’t mean its better on the whole…

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

Here is a link to a study that looks at which vitamins are diminished or made more available when cooked:

http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-cooked/raw-...

The article is several pages and there is a link at the bottom of each page to move through the study. There is also information comparing the benefits/drawbacks of eating raw vs. cooked foods.

• OneOne

Thanks, kundalalita and Dain5000
    :)

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Personally, if I were to have something cooked, I would dehydrate it for a few hours (as a 1st choice), or lightly steam it (as a second choice).

If something is cooked and thrown into the ground, it won’t grow, but if it’s uncooked and thrown into the ground it will grow. If a plant is watered with fresh water vs cooked water it will grown, but microwaved water, for example, will cause the plant to die off. I guess I don’t understand the logic of how cooking can make something more nutritious? I’ll have to check out that link, thanks for the info :)

Now are they mentioning “enzymes” being killed off with cooking, or just talking about vitamins?