Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What the @#$%?

I’m not sure what to think about this. I want to do more research and find out who funded the study…what do you all think?

New Study Confirms Canned, Fresh and Frozen Fruits and Vegetables all Provide Nutrients Essential for a Healthy Diet California – Davis (UC Davis) published today in the online version of the Journal of Science of Food and Agriculture confirms that canned, fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables provide nutrients needed for a healthy diet, and exclusively consuming fresh fruits and vegetables ignores the nutritional benefits provided by canned products. “Common perceptions include the notion that fresh is always best,” says Christine M. Bruhn, Ph.D., Department of Food Science and Technology, University of California Davis. “This study shows us, however, that eating a variety of fruits and vegetables in all forms are important to a healthy diet.” To attain a full balance of nutrients, findings from this research show that canned foods can be an important part of the mix when it comes to getting more nutrients, variety and taste satisfaction. Research also shows that how much a fruit and vegetable can contribute nutritionally to a diet depends on its processing method. Research shows that canned, fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables can all lose nutrients during processing and storage, as a result of exposure to heat and air. In some cases, there appears to be a higher nutrient content in canned foods, such as increased carotenoids in canned vegetables —due to the heat in the canning process. To get the most nutrients from fruits and vegetables, consider the following suggestions: * Store fresh fruits and vegetables without a peel in cooler temperatures, such as the refrigerator. If they will not be used within three days, choose frozen or canned. * During cooking and storage, avoid exposing fruits and vegetables to unnecessary heat and air. Use a cover when cooking, and choose steaming or microwaving over boiling. Store cut fruits and vegetables in a sealed container or plastic wrap. * Choose canned, fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables to get a mix of essential nutrients. The study, funded by the Canned Food Alliance, reviewed recent published research on the nutritional comparisons of canned, fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables. “This research validates our mission to educate consumers that canned foods are healthy and bring necessary nutrients to the table,” says Rich Tavoletti, director, the Canned Food Alliance. “It’s no surprise to us that canned food is an important part of the nation’s nutrition, which makes everyday healthful eating easy and accessible for everyone, everywhere.” For complete study results or for more information on the nutritional benefits of canned food, contact Katie Calligaro, Ketchum, at 412-456-3596 or via e-mail at katie.calligaro@ketchum.com. About the Canned Food Alliance The Canned Food Alliance is a partnership of the American Iron and Steel Institute’s Steel Packaging Council, the Can Manufacturers Institute, select food processors and affiliate members. The primary mission of the CFA is to serve as a resource for information on the nutrition, convenience, contemporary appeal and versatility of canned food. For hundreds of mealtime solutions, visit http://www.mealtime.org.

The Journal of Science of Food and Agriculture Reports All Forms Count PITTSBURGH, March 14 /PRNewswire/ -- A study from the University of

Comments

• 1.) look at the amount of sodium in canned veggies.

2.) do yourself a favor and stay away from canned, bottled, or boxed foods

• “The study, funded by the Canned Food Alliance.”

There is your answer.

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

The canned food alliance if of course going to say canned food is better for you. Why do you think on the food pyramid that it states you should consume more dairy and meat….just in case you didn’t know it was funded by the dairy and meat association as well. There is a new food pyramid now but I am not going by that either.

• isnt it amazing how thet get away with misinforming the public ?

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

Yeah I have seen the new pyramid and it still really ridiculous. Another bad thing is that it is only available online. So what happens to the people with out computers or internet?

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

I guess the people without internet have to stick to the old pyramid diet.

• So what happens to the people with out computers or internet?

I guess they don’t see the pyramid, and hence, trust their instincts and eat healthier!

• Thanks Patty! Jaymz…I hear ya about the canned veggies…it irritates me to no end that when I want things not added it costs more. IE low/no sodium canned vegetables/veg juice. Just don’t put it in there! It seems like it would take less effort and hence cost less, but alas making people sicker seems to be profitable, eh?

• MunchieMunchie Raw Newbie

I know this is an old topic, but I just came across it. The only things canned foods are good for are as paper weights and keeping me fed after a hurricane before the Red Cross has a path to come through with fresh food and water.