Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Very Important video - Excitotoxins

This is a very good video about excitotoxins. There are many excitotoxins but he does not name them all. In the video he mainly is talking about MSG. Especially important for anyone not 100% raw or pregnant to know about (and your family & friends).

I am not sure, but I get the feeling raw cacao is an excitotoxin.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-238410…

Comments

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

food additives really should be banned from the food supply, but it’s such a huge industry the question is HOW??

I wonder if maca would be included?

• Hi Newbie,

I agree, they should not be allowed to add them. I think the first step would be to send a letter to your local government representative & let them know how you feel. Maybe someday if there are enough people writing letters they will pass a bill of some kind. I know it’s very doubtful. Maybe people could start a petition in their local area. I’m just brainstorming. I have never really done anything like that before so I’m not sure what all is involved in that sort of thing.

Every time I eat raw cacao, my head feels funny (hard to explain). I knew it must have had a lot of caffiene in it but I did not realize it was potentially that destructive. As for maca … I have never had a problem with it, but then I have only ever had it in very small amounts (one capsule per recipe). For me maca does not give me a “rush” feeling. I think that is the signature of excitotoxins.

• Wow, that really is some scary stuff. I agree that food additives such as MSG should not be allowed in the food supply.

I question, however, the classification of foods such as cacao or maca as excitotoxins. My understanding from the lecture was that excitotoxins are man made substances, not those occurring in nature.

Did I miss something?

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Thanks for posting this. Excitotoxins are a big topic in my MS group. “They”. the FDA,just approved cloned beef and dairy without labeling as such. They dont care about what’s healthy, obviously. When the gov. gets involved in raw food, we’re in trouble. Look what’s happening with irradiation of fruits and vegetables, pasteurization of almonds and genetic modification.

I hope maca isn’t included because I eat it all the time for hypothyroidism. Cacao is definitely an excitotoxin. Small amounts won’t kill you.

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

The reason I asked about maca is because I just started taking it, along with MSM and goji berries. My first superfoods. I had been taking 1 tbs of maca around noon time, but last night didn’t get around to it until 6pm and I had a terrible time falling asleep. It made me wonder if the “stamina” that they refer to is actually a “stimulant.” Just curious and wondering…

Our food industry really infuriates me. It makes me want to move to another country, but it seems to be seeping into so many others it’s hard to know which one would be best. It especially makes me mad when I consider the foods that they serve children in our school systems. Makes homeschooling that much more appealing. That’s the end of my rant ;-)

• Hi Belamojo,

He did not specify in the video whether man made or not. He said that an excitotoxin was any substance that causes the brain cells to be excited so much that the cells start to fire their impulses very rapidly and become exhausted and die. He said that only certain brain cells are affected but those brain cells are in very important areas of the brain.

He said that any time a protein is broken down into their free amino acids, there is a large amount of excitotoxins. For example he said that the product liquid aminos would have a lot of exitotoxins … there goes the new bottle I just bought. I guess I will just use it sparingly.

I would only wonder about cacao beans because I heard they are usually fermented and I’m not sure if that would do anything to them to break down and free the amino acids. I think there may be some brands that are not fermented too.

I believe “all in moderation” too except for the pregnant mothers. I think they should stay very far away from anything that contains excitotoxins while they are pregnant because of what he says.

• Thanks for the clarification Kimbaly.

I used to be really concerned about MSG and didn’t want my young daughter to have ANY at all! Then as time when on I got more lax, I’m so glad I heard the lecture because I really don’t think I want to be relaxed about it any more!!

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

Umm you really don’t want your child to have MSG or aspartame or any exitotoxin….for further info read THE TASTE THAT KILLS by Russell L. Blaylock, MD and watch Sweet Misery: A Poisoned World on DVD (also on Net Flix)

SCARY STUFF. MSG used to be in baby food. There are no words…..

• I sent this video to my family, I can’t thank you enough for posting it. They would normally not listen to me and put whatever I say in the “health food talk” bucket, but this really got the message through. My father is shocked, well he’s already bought a vitamix and is going hard on the green smoothies.

• I’m glad I could help.

Also glad your Dad took a step in the right direction Plumseed. :o)

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

naturally occurring excitoxins are not the ones we have to worry about. It is the man made ones that everyone must be informed about. Tomatoes have naturally occurring excitoxons, so does that mean w all must stop eating tomatoes? Cacao is also considered an excitotoxin, so must we all stop eating cacao? Personally I would never think about giving either of these 2 foods up. Moderation in everything is key. Moderation in fresh raw foods, organic wine, and exercise. Too much of anything will make you feel like crap.Aspartame and MSG are the two man made additives that we must always avoid. Man made does not equal food. Even small amounts of this stuff will make you ill. By the way did all of you hear about the government allowing clones and their milk to be sold. I know this doesn’t affect us here, but I just found that to be so totally ridiculous. What are they gonna do next???!

• willmizewillmize Raw Newbie

Thanks for the video link and thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge in this great discussion.