Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

A Question for the ladies

Is it fine (good or bad?) to do a juice fast while menstruating? Does it even matter?

Thanks in advance (:

Comments

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

I don’t think it would matter too much…
    but I know if you are a heavy bleeder, you could be losing alot of iron, so think about what kind of fruit or veggie you could use for that..
    And I’ve read raspberries are good for cramps and such.
    But I also don’t know much..
    lol

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

I would think that juice fasting would be great during menstruation because it is so cleansing. All good. Probably very balancing.

• My favorite time to fast is while I’m menstrating. I love how pure and revitalized I feel when I can help my body cleanse even further. That’s just my experience, though. Everyone is different. Give it a try and see how you feel.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

beets are a good thing to juice for iron

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

I did the MC twice while menstruating and it was fine. Only thing is that the bleeding did seem heavier than usual. Good luck!

• Menstruation is detox by itself. I get so weak and depleted while menstruating that the idea of fasting through it isn’t something I would consider. However, if you did a green juice or smoothie fast it should be very positive because chlorophill is almost identical to human blood, so you replenish what you’ve lost very quickly with a boost in nutrition.

What I have noticed is that when I’m raw my period lasts very little. At least I’d been full raw two weeks before the period and from 6 days it lasted 3.

I’m planning to stay full raw this time so it will be interesting to see if I bleed at all.

I’d say do a green juice or smoothie fast and see how it goes :)

• Has anyone or does anyone know of someone who’s actually stopped menstruating on a raw diet?

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Hollis~ Check out the Period thread for an interesting discussion on menstruating.

• Thanks, Bluedolfin, I just read the whole thing…it’s fascinating! ...particularily the discussion around the idea that menstruation is a form of natural detox…like the body’s retaliation to the SAD diet…

If you’re raw and having light periods, the extra detox shouldn’t really be a problem, should it? Go for it!

I can’t imagine having a super heavy period AND subjecting myself to a fast…that would wipe me out!

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

It can help lots if you start juice fasting before menstruating, but I agree it would be tough to start at the same time. Oh, and I think that keeping it mostly vegetable juice would help too; there are many schools of thought on too much sugar increasing flow and causing pain (I think that’s what happened to me with the MC).