Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I think I'm going to join a CSA

RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

The idea of going to one location and picking up a box of the freshest produce, all organic, all local and seasonal is really great.And the price is good. As it is now, I go to three different locations looking for organic at good prices. I’m never sure if it’s been irradiated either. The CSA box would all be non-irradiated, I’m certain. And the lady I spoke to said if there’s anything in the box I don’t want (like potatoes), I can just trade it for something else.

Comments

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

RawVoice~ Which CSAs have you looked at? Which have you decided to go with? I looked at Be Wise Ranch.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Hi RawVoice… yeah, we are thinking of doing the same thing. But, we were wondering if we will be able to eat ALL that food! :o) My friend’s co-worker got a mini-share, and couldn’t finish it all for 2 people; one vegetarian. Maybe my husband and I could, be we only eat 2 meals a day and not 3 like most people. But, you bring up a good poiint about getting all food from one place and organic… I like that idea… we drive around to several stores to get what we need… and out of the way. So you make a good point. Maybe we will join a CSA.

• One of the best decisions I have made. We all love it. We don’t get to trade but we are getting lots if new fun stuff. Go for it!!!

• what is CSA…do they deliver your food? do you have a website I can go to?

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I believe consumer supported agriculture is what it stands for. You buy a share at the beginning of the season and then you get fresh produce each week. What you get varies by the season. It spreads the risk a bit for small family farms because nobody knows what type of growing season will occur so the farm has a guaranteed income from these share sales. It is a rapidly growing movement from what I understand and a great way to buy local and help small farms.

• Here’s a good link to try

http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

• thanks you’ll..never heard of this but then again this is all new to me!!

• ZemphiraZemphira Raw Newbie

Anyone in the Seattle area a member of a CSA? I'm thinking of trying one out but I'm unsure if which one to go with and also, if it is cost effective for a single person. So far, I think I like the set-up Full Circle the most since their prices are reasonable, locations convenient and they don't make you commit to anything long term. I can buy weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, etc.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I love the CSA I joined, which is run by a really great couple and their two young girls. They are all so wonderful and down to earth. You just want to eat them all with a spoon. We now have calendered events for the CSA where members will know what work is being done on the farm and on which days so we can go help out if inclined.

The owners of the farm, Five Leaves Farm at http://www.fiveleavesfarm.com/ (please check them out because they are adorable), are also involved in Slow Foods, information at http://www.slowfoodusa.org/index.php/slow_food/. This is an organization that focuses on healthy, whole-food eating, and we have pot lucks regularly and it is just so nice to meet and know people with your values that are trying to take proper care of the planet and stay healthy.

• I love my CSA. I am part of a vegi one and also a meat share. (sorry not very raw vegan I know) but as my husband wants his meat regularly, I prefer to get it from a local farm rather than the supermarket. They also give organic eggs and fresh raw milk cheese. I think it is b/c of these CSA's that I can get about 70-80% RV at my height and the rest is the temptation by these yummy and sustainable products. Of course in Chicago right now, my most recent CSA was a big box of roots, so it is hard not to wind up cooking them too! But for a regular CSA, I can't rave enough about it. I think it is great if you can trade in some roots for greens or something like that. I might ask my CSA about that possibility when the next rotation starts up (in *sniff* five months!)