Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Scared of Fruit

Ok I know this will sound incredibly stupid especialy to the Fruitarians out there but I am scared to eat fruit. I currently eat an alkaline diet that is really really high in fats.I would love to try something different but I am really phobic about it. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Hi all4raw :)
    Why exactly are you scared? is it the acidity, sugar…?

• DelphineDelphine Raw Newbie

On raw food our body heals & changes for the best. Also, it comes a time when you body wisdom kicks in & invite you to change and/or broaden your food choice.
    My best advice to you All4raw is to listen to your body & to slowly include the fruits you feel drawn to as it sounds like now is the time.
    I used to only be able to eat low glycemic fruits (berries), yet over the holidays I felt incline to reintroduce all fruits & to my delight my blood sugar is totally stable (used to have hypoglycemia) even when I eat them for breakfast with nothing else : ).
    May this be helpful.

• roadrunnerroadrunner Raw Newbie

All4raw,
    So what does your diet consist of? What is a typical day for you as far as what you eat?

• Well I am 17 and my family owns a beef, sheep, and chicken hobby type farm.So you must know that they are against vegetarianism never mind raw food. I eat alot of soaked almonds that are probably not really raw, I’m talking about a pound or more a day.I love greens, romaine, escarole, frisee, spinch,etc.and eat as much of that as I can get my hands on Avocadoes,lemons, tomatoes,cucumbers,and peppers are the only fruits I eat currently,but these things don’t last long enough for me to really eat as much of them as I would like. This is why the almond is the go to food.I am 5’1 1/2 and weigh around 98lbs. I used to have an eating disorder and never ate fat of any kind for 3 years.I weighed 66 at my lowest and was hospitalized. I have been eating alkalarian and got over my fear of food in general.Oh and by the way I will be going to college in the fall. I don’t know if that will be harder or easier.

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

That’s funny, I was in a situation similar to that. I got caught up in the ‘alkalarian’ mindset and didn’t even think that BALANCE is important, not just alkalinity! You can easily eat too alkaline. Also, and this came as a surprise to me, a lot of the ‘alkaline’ foods are actually acidifying- all nuts and seeds are, for example, and so are avocados! I was eating a partly cooked ‘as Robert Young recomends’ kind of diet and was getting thinner and more depressed instead of better. When I started on raw and started incorporating higher glycemic fruit than what I was having (it was gradual- grapefruits and cherries at first, then peaches, etc… I did take a fancy to dates but couldn’t tolerate high sugar right away) The amazing thing was that I became BLISSED when eating all raw and including sugars.
    I don’t know, I hope this helps in a way.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

Maybe your body needs the essntial fats and so that’s what you crave. Soaked walnuts are also a very good source of omega 3 as is flax. Hemp is higher in omega 6’s. You can get pH tape pretty cheap (I get mine at swansonvitamins.com for about 5.50) and monitor your pH so that you know where you are. Berries are a good fruit to start with because they are a low glycemic load for the body. Apples and pears are also OK. I know grapes and dates produce a much higher load as do a few others but lent my book out that has them listed! I also have blood sugar issues from years of sugar abuse and find that apples, pears and berries are OK. The longer I am raw, the more normal my sugar control is. I slipped back into my sugar addiction for the last 3 mo of ‘07 and abused my body horribly with food. I went back to raw 1/1/08 and am feeling MUCH better and my sugar response is normalizing again. There are a lot of healthful compounds in fruit, just eat smaller amounts until you see how your body responds.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

Hey everyone is different. I cant go one day without fruit. I like dream about bananas! lol But seriously you seem to be eating quite healthy. I would jsut stop the almonds for a little until they begin to label the raw and the pasteurized ones. (hopefully this will happen soon) Stick with walnuts, pecans, hemp seeds, flax seeds, whole sesame or tahini, the list goes on. I know this might sound scary but try to eat some type of sweet fruit. I could be an apple, a pear, orange. Hey even try orange juice! If that doesn’t work just add some sweet fruit to your next raw soup that you make. It will actually provide better flavor. We need to break this phobia. Fear should not stop you from anything. It is just one extra burden that you must carry and you can not afford that in college. The first you must do is actually eat the fruit. Before you do, examine it, its shape, texture, color. Do the same when you are eating it. Believe me if you do this with any beautiful food you will accept it and enjoy more fully. If you ever want more support feel free to email me (habitat611@hotmail.com) or just type something on here :)

Lots of Love
    V

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

Don’t Be! Fruit is very good for you. You need the natural sugars that it has and some fruits like Lemons and limes actually alkalizes the body. They also provide some amino acids which are not found in such large amounts, in veggies. Fruits are very high in antioxidants and vitamins

• I think 1 lb almonds per day is a bit on higher side…i may be wrong…try to develop a taste for bananas..they are filling and help you feel stuffed and may reduce your cravings for nuts/fats. i rely on it to satisy my cravings for “fullness feeling”.

• I’m a former hypoglycemic and I can tell you what I do. I cut up two or three types of fruit, the fruit I eat on a regular basis are apples, pears oranges and banannas. I mix the bits well then I add about a tablespoon of ground flax seed on top, blend and this is my breakfast most days. Fruit is high in fiber and water, these are very essential break-fast foods as it helps your body clean itself in the morning and prepare for your first “thorough” meal: lunch, which in my case tends to have a good source of fats, proteins and not as much carbos. – The flax with the fruit help to add more bulk and slow the assimilation of sugars.

When I have fats for breakfast I feel heavy the rest of the day. Another thing you could do to help your body adjust to fruit is add one or two types of fruit in green smoothies for breakfast. Mine are usually one apple, one pear (peeled), two hand-fulls of baby spinach and one of some type of herb like parley or coriander, if it’s not tasty enough I add some agave. – Some people add superfoods and other ingredients to these to boost the nutrition.

Everyone’s metabolism is different, but you should at least try out different things and see after giving them a chance if they work better for you. Personally, I can’t see how that much fat and nuts is healthy in the long run.

Maybe your body is asking for change.

• I think it is a matter of balance between fruits, veggies, and seeds, and nuts. Not going overboard on any one item will allow your body to adapt. You may want to get a book that talks about proper food combinations and recipes you can try. It is interesting that once you go raw, your body over time adapts. Once it has detoxed from the old habits it can successfully respond from the healthier diet.