Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Your favorite, most easily digested source of fat

Hi everyone,

I find that the longer I remain raw, the less and less fat I desire to eat. During my first few weeks of transitioning, lots of nuts and seeds grounded me and allowed me to feel comfortable while making such a huge dietary adjustment, but now I find myself craving green smoothies and juicy fruits almost exclusively. I know that I need to maintain a certain degree of fat in my diet, but have yet to find a good, clean, easily digested and assimilated source that doesn’t leave me feeling sluggish for hours and hours afterwards. I just don’t think the nuts and seeds are doing it for me anymore.

So, what is your favorite (disregarding taste, focusing on quality of being) fat source in your current diet? Some potentials in my mind include: raw, organic coconut oil, avocados, and perhaps even a daily dose of E3Live? Bonus points for suggestions that allow one to live on the cheap!

Thanks guys,

-Dave:)

Comments

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Coconut oil is my fav for fat. Never ever makes me feel sluggish. I have the same problem, nuts weigh me down and are way too heavy for me. I stick to oils and avo’s.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

avocados are without the best source of fat. They never slow me down and go down so smooth. Of course, dont eat like 3 or 4 at one time. That will def make you feel horrible.

V

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

I third avocados! They are great. Flax oil and olive oil work fine for me as well. I feel slightly sluggish with coconut oil, but I do love it all the same.

E3 live is great, but I don’t think it’s a significant source of fat. I feel ravenous about an hour after drinking it.

• I fourth avacados! These are an incredible superfood from God! I really like organic cold-presed olive oil, flax oil, and coconut oil. Oh, and young coconuts are great for that too. Just my faves!

• avooooocadoooooooos

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

If you can source them, raw olives. The raw ones for some reason are very filling and make a change from avo’s.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

I find avocados too oily and fatty in the winter. Ground seeds are good for me and dressings made from soaked seeds blended up. Generally, for me, fat intake is less in the winter months because my digestion slows down.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I used to want avocados all the time. Maybe in the summer they’re more desirable, but this winter they’ve been $1.99 each and that turns me off! I like to add flax oil or coconut oil to green smoothies sometimes. I make almond milk once a week. I make sauces for squash noodles out of pumpkin seeds or walnuts when I’m really hungry. None of them make me feel heavy. I vary my diet as much as possible. I think that the body needs certain things at certain times. You may not need fats right now. I want to repair myelin and fats are a must for me. I didn’t do very well on Doug Graham’s 80/10/10 diet without much fat with massive amounts of fruit.

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Top quality olive oil seems to be good for me or an occasional avo.Love coconut oil but it just sits on my butt despite the hype stating that it will speed up my metabolism. Methinks the so called fat burning properties of coconut oil seem to apply to humans under 35 mostly of the male variety.

• shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

I could some coconut oil then haha!

• Wow, thanks for all the great replies.

I’ve been leaning towards coconut oil and coconut butter myself – having tasted some fine quality butter this morning for the first time in several months and being reminded of the deliciously pure taste that it leaves on the tongue. I’ll have to do some experimenting to see how well it sits in my stomach.

Avocados! I agree, my experience with them does seem to demonstrate that they’re fairly easy to digest in small quantities, but then again, even here in California, good quality organic avocados are frequently priced above $2.00 each. I just can’t afford that! So, we’ll see how it goes with the coconut oil first, perhaps adding a tablespoon per day to some green soup.

I also like the idea concerning raw olives, but I just haven’t been able to source them here in my hometown, although I wouldn’t doubt they’re available. Unfortunately, even if I could find them, I’m afraid raw olives would be too dangerous for me to be in possesion of – I just love them so much and I know I’d end up overdoing it!

So, thanks everyone, and if anyone else has any other ideas floating around, let me know.

• I have to agree with you David, I also started out making all these gourmet dishes with plenty of nuts because well, I was clueless. I was bloated all the time and often feeling heavy in my guts. All I crave now are fresh juicy fruits and vegetables.

The fat that goes down smoother for me is like most people stated, avocado, though I try to add some flax oil to my lunches for omega 3s. And I’ve found that if I eat my fats during midday they are digested more easily than in the morning or in the evening.

I say make breakfast your soup and salad, lunch your main course and dinner your dessert :)

• I need the recipe for almond milk.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Blackindian~ Check out these recipes from the Recipe tab:

To do a search for a recipe, type what you are looking for in the Search field, part way down from the top of the Recipe tab page on right.

• Non-organic avocado is safe. Check the “dirty dozen” and “safe” lists out at http://community.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/Top-Produce-...

I buy avocado at Food 4 Less for 69-79 cents each. I can’t live without ‘em!

• coconut oil is easiest for me and energizing. After that, beloved avacado and ch-ch-ch-chia.

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I love coconut oil, but use more of it on me than in me. I do well with avocado, some seeds(love hemp seeds), or on salads some flax or olive oil in the dressing. I also do like olives, but need to limit myself or they can be dangerous!

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

An avocado a day keeps me running on high all the way! :) Sometimes I have flaxseed oil or coconut oil in something to mix it up. I also find hempseed really good.

I rely mostly though on my avocado. I love my avocados! Ok shutting up now. Hehe . . .

• yeah, avocados... one a day well worth the price!!!!

• Crackers made from flax seeds, I eat them almost daily. or chia seeds in my green smoothies or a tsp of coconut oil. I recommend flax seeds over the oil you buy, first it's cheaper. second the whole seed keeps all of it's natural omega3 oil in whole form (grind in coffee grinder when you need some)