Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Am I the only one who doesn't like cacao?

RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

My body has a strong reaction to cacao. My stomach clenches up, and I feel like I’m going to vomit. I’ve never had such a strong reaction to any food. My body literally acts like it’s poison. I guess I must be allergic. So many people love it, and it’s high in antioxidants. I fought it for awhile and kept trying it, but I continued to find it revolting.

Comments

• give up on cacao…it’s not raw

• i get raw cacao but rarely use it. how’s your brand rawvoice? maybe it’s rancid? there have been customers who’ve returned bags of raw cacao nibs to the store i work at before.. maybe see when they were made. is it the powder? maybe you are allergic! :/

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

I bought raw cacao nibs. I can’t remember where I bought them. I believe it was a reputable brand. I’ve also been to raw food classes where recipes were made with cacao, and I just couldn’t stomach them. Also, I bought raw cacao beans one time. I believe they were from David Wolfe, but I’m not sure. Revolting. They went straight into the trash.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Cacao contains two known neurotoxins, theobromine and caffeine. I eat it occasionally knowing this, but it is not a health food.

• I kept putting cacao in smoothies but every time I would get really dizzy and it would last the entire day. If I would even move my head I felt like I would fall right over. I also got really jittery like too much caffeine from only a small dose…so I have given cacao up as well. Plus I keep hearing about not so good stuff about it now anyways. If it doesnt work for you dont bother with it. Jaclyn.

• What about carob?

• Cacao has been great for me, and I would absolutely say it’s a health food, and a superfood. It contains so much nutrition, not only antioxidants, but also it seems to be the number one source of magnesium.
    It is high in the beauty mineral sulphur. Sulphur builds strong nails, hair, beautiful, shiny skin, detoxifies the liver, and supports healthy pancreas functioning. Anecdotal reports indicate that cacao detoxifies mercury because it is so high sulphur.
    Cacao contains subtle amounts of caffeine and theobromine. However, experiments have shown that these stimulants are far different when consumed raw than cooked. (Information from www.detoxyourworld.com)

You can find much more information about cacao on the net. I know some people are sceptic to cacao, but I can’t really understand why. If anyone feel like, please fill me in.

Rawvoice, you might be allergic, but it also might be that the cacao “works on you” in a way that feels unpleasant, but it isn’t neseserally a bad thing. My boyfriend is very sensitive to everything, including cacao, and in the beginning he only needed like 5 beans to feel the effect. If he had more, he came in touch with his nervous energies and stuff (I will not go deeper into him and what he’s working on, but physically he’s got a lot to deal with). So he started off with little until he got used to it, and now he has about 10-15.Me on the other side, can eat about 30 before I can really feel it. Ofcourse this might not be relevant in your situation – about 1 out of 500 that thought they were allergic to cacao actually were, and you might be one of them who actually are.

And girls, if you are bothered with pain during menstraution, cacao has really helped me a lot – I’m usually hit by intense pain the first day, but when eating (or drinking, as I do) cacao, I can cope with it. It’s probably because of the high magnesium level.

If any of you are interested in learning more about cacao, I can reccomend “Naked chocolate” by David Wolfe and Shazzie. It’s great reading and very informative, after my opinion.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i’ve also had problems with cacao. i made raw brownies for my neighbors one night and couldn’t sleep for 2 days! it was like i was on speed. it may have good health attribute, but i consider it more like wine. OK (and maybe even beneficial) in SMALL amounts—a good consolation for those who indulge—but not so great as a regular part, or large part, of any diet.

humbly opinionated!

• My boyfriend also had big troubles sleeping in the beginning – he had too much. So he basically just eats it in the morning, it might not be a very clever thing to eat at night ;-) And as I mentioned before, some people are more sensitive than others, and the amount has to be adjusted after that.

• That’s wierd Pianissima…or good depending on your point of view lol, I’ve had tons of the stuff and definately had a little buzz reaction, but it only lasted about half an hour! I like it occasionally but again like so many things I’ve heard it is not raw. Blag! I guess overdoing it is like overdoing it on coffee. I used to get palpitations and very jittery on coffee and everyone loves the stuff!!

• Jmasterson, cacao is raw if you buy the right version, from a wholesome company.
    Funny all the things people say about cacao, some love it and some hate it. :P

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

I have no special reaction to cacao. I don’t love it, and I don’t hate it. I don’t get a floaty happy reaction that some describe (usually those who are selling it), and I also have no negative reaction to it (that I am aware of).
    I use it on occasion on dessert recipes or at a raw restaurant, but I don’t advocate it as a health food, because I’ve seen no incredible results on myself with regular consumption.