Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

FRUSTRATED! Anyone else?

I am a new raw foodist, this is in fact my one month anniversary. I am loving the way I feel, the way I eat, the way food does not seem to have the same control over me.

- BUT -

All these forums have all these terrible things about how raw food isn’t really raw!!

How am I supposed to do this, if nothing I can eat is something I can????

Comments

• I find that a little frustrating, too. You just have to do the best you feel you are able to. I feel that it’s much more important to be 80% or 90% raw, for example, than to become overwhelmed and give up completely!

I just take it all with a grain of (Celtic, sea) salt, and do the best I can. A favorite quote of mine, and I’m not sure where I ever heard it, is “one thing is for sure, we must live among the living.” I’m not sure what the author meant, but to me, it means that we live in an imperfect world, among other imperfect people, and we can only do the best we can with the time we have.

Hope that helps, or makes any sense at all!

• I know how you feel. I am new to the raw lifestyle too and the more I read, the more conflicting opinions I see. Vegan raw, vegetarian raw, carnivore raw (though not on this site). No raw nuts, food combining, etc. It can be too much if you let it.

Determine how you want to live your life and how strictly you want to adhere to the lifestyle. Personally I will still eat cashews and use Agave. I am eating so much healthier than I ever did before so I am not going to beat myself up because a nut doesn’t have all the enzymes in it did yesterday. It’s still better for me than a burger.

I’m about 75% raw—depending on who you ask re: the “raw” foods I consume. And I feel great. So that is all that matters to me.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Congratulations, and don’t give up!! I get frustrated at times too, but all you can do is try your best. I agree with Ray, it is more important to be “as raw” as you can be than to get overwhelmed and return to a not so healthy diet. I have the book “The Complete Book of Raw Food” by Lori Baird and Julie Rodwell, and in there they say the most raw foodists ( even the “famous” ones) are between 70% and 100% raw. That allows for alot of wiggle room, and more importantly…room for improvement and growth as you become more comfortable and informed about the raw foods lifestyle.

Hope this helps!

• Thank you for sharing that Skyespice! I think sometimes we are hardest on ourselves.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

The concept of Raw Food is very SIMPLE. Don’t eat cooked food. It really sucks that we live in a world where it’s not clear what has or has not been overheated.

It’s not that bad though. Take nuts for example. It is easy to find RAW Almonds, Pine Nuts, Hazelnuts and Walnuts. These can be substituted for the other nuts in raw food recipes. If you must have Cashews you can purchase them raw online. Remember you are worth the trouble!

Being Purely Raw 100% is a worthy goal, don’t be frustrated if it takes you a while. Once you get there, It is Pure Magic and no longer seems difficult in any way. In fact it is a pleasure. Life itself is a pleasure.

My wife and I can feel your pain and this was a big motivtion for us to create a page on our site called the Dead Food List and another called Ingredients . This way others can benefit from our research.

Signed, Formerly Frustrated

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

I apologize, I broght up the thing about the almond pasteurizing :( But I want you know I feel the same way that you do. Im always put down when I discover that something isnt really raw. I feel lied to and feel as if I failed.

Vaughn

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

No worries everyone, I read the almond info and it looks like the California almonds will still be available raw directly from the grower. So I guess this means David Wolfe and Co will have the market all sewn up and be selling really raw almonds to us all when the time comes!

• I know what you mean about being frustrated.Just try to keep in mind that the reason that you’re taking on a raw diet (presumably) is for health and happiness. Don’t get too wrapped up in any little thing. Just listen to what your body needs and be healthy and happy! :-)

• Thank you ALL! Don’t apologize, Vaughn – it’s good to know these things. It’s just that, I finally felt I had a handle on the raw foods diet – dried fruits, nuts for snacks, nut pate’s, and lots of fresh fruit and veggies. Now half my diet is unraw again! Grrrrrrr!!!

I still feel really good, and my body and skin have improved so much over these 5 weeks! I plan on slowly cutting out my unraw staples to get back to raw.

Good to know I’m not alone – I LOVE THIS WEBSITE!!!

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

I say do what makes you feel better! Don’t stress about the food if it makes you feel good.

One thing I do is I decide what I want to continue consuming despite the fact it’s not raw and then once I get a handle on the whole raw deal then I will become a hundred percent. I know I will be eating those almonds after the Aug 07. But that’s my goal. I read that if you eat 80% raw then that can take care of the other 20% that isn’t, and that was speaking about meat eaters it wasn’t even about vegans. Your doing great!

I put the information for things that are considered raw and are not because it frustrates me when I pay extra for something considered raw and it’s not. I feel they lied just like the food pyramid and the cat food. I understand the frustration. Some people will still use agave instead of raw honey because it doesn’t spike your blood sugar as high and agave even though it’s not raw is better for you than honey. I prefer maple syrup because it’s cheaper.

Zoe I had commented on the Almond patereurization in the other forum but the shipment can be sent to california unpasterized to a DV. The Dv will then process the almonds. The almonds have to have a minimum of a 4 log reduction treatment.