Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Thickening agents

What can I use that is raw to thinken desserts?

Comments

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

Pysllium husks work but sometimes it just thickens in the fridge. Depends on the type of food.

• I use any of the following depending on the meal.

dates, sprouted kamut, sprouted wheat berries, soaked flax seeds w/ goowy film

like shgadwa said.. if you put them in the fridge it will thicken.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I use maca and ground seeds/nuts. It depends on what you want to thicken.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Isn’t irish moss a thickening agent?

I use agar for a raw pie, but agar is not living… I don’t think. Plus, it needs boiling water to thicken… so, I sometimes wait until it cools again to mix with the rest of the raw living ingredients.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I read some recipes on Sunny Raw Kitchen that call for powdered lecithin. It isn’t a raw product, but it can be purchased in organic, non-GMO varieties from various places, including RawGuru.com. It’s a soy product that makes liquid and fats emulsify.

• Depending on what you are making you might try coconut oil. I got the idea from a recipe on this site. I was making a cheesecake and the recipe called for coconut oil. So I added all the ingredients and then put the measured amount of coconut oil in a cup and set the cup inside a bowl of hot water. I then added the melted coconut oil to the filling. I put it in the fridge to set and the coconut oil firmed everything up.

• Thanks for the replies. I’ve used coconut oil for more of my heavier desserts…and I have tried chia seeds.

What is iris moss and where do I get it?

Does ground flax turn turn gooey?

I’m trying to make some jelly for my almond cream…. and some sauces.

So many questions… so little time.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Moisten/soaked flax is a good binder. If you soak them, a gooey mess is produced. The “gooey mess” is a great base for flax crackers. I think chia seeds do the same… I’ve never tried it though… I wonder if hemp seeds do the same… hm?

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Irish Moss: Go to http://goneraw.com/forums/2/topics/1509 and Lucy has a post on where to buy it. That post mentions Cere Gel. It is said to do the same thing… if only someone can tell me what it is and where to find it.

• MACA powder I’ve heard?

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I’ve used psyllium husks, which I buy ground and in bulk. It makes a fabulous Blueberry Crumble texture.

• What about arrowroot? I’ve never used it, but it’s a thickener I believe.

• I think arrowroot requires heat to thicken. But never hurts to try and see :).