Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What greens do you prefer?

MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I can’t stop eating fresh fruit, but I’d like to add more greens. My blender broke yesterday so I can’t have my green smoothies anymore. I’m trying to add more greens and have only gotten as far as kale and spinach.

Any other greens you can recommend for a salad or wrap?

Comments

• I use collards and lettuce (Romaine or green leaf) for wraps. I also marinade greens (kale, collard, chard, & spinach) in apple cider vinegar (2 TBS or so) and olive oil (about 4 TBS) with a bit of salt and some herbs like dill or basil. If you let it sit about an hour it is yummy. At first I was wary and then after the first few bites it starts to taste really good. You can vary the ratio until you like the marinade sauce. It should just cover the greens to make them shiny. They don’t need to swim in it.

• Parsley is tasty chopped up and added to just about anything!

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

ARUGULA all the way!!!!!! I can never get enough of that stuff!

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

I am growing argula in my window!! Although it just barely popped up above the soil. It might take another month before I can harvest it but I am looking forward to it. It is in the middle of the winter.

Thanks redhouse for that marinated idea. I never thought about marinated greens but it sounds fun. I found a recipe for hot marinated collard and that sounds neat. I like hot foods.

• Me, too, I love arugula! As a matter of fact, I’m addicted to it! Also, Earthbound Farms has a variety of mixed greens, ask your local grocer for more selections!

• Cilantro!

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Baby spinach is amazing. I can eat a whole box without noticing, just by the handfuls, nothing added. Mature spinach is also good.

Well, I have never tried argula yet hut it sounds I like I need to go to the store I get some! My favorite green is kale. It also, around here is not that pricey. It looks beautiful and frilly and such and has a nice bold flavor while adding dark green colors to a sald or smoothie and it is very good for you. It costs me $1.79 for a large head of it. I juice a head a week stems and all on my juice fast.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Mache (lamb’s lettuce) is nice. Arugula is great too… as is kale, spinach, and collard greens.

• ohh, ohh, mustard greens, turnip greens and beet greens too! Those are some of my new favorites, they are nice in salads, or juiced, kinda spicy but soooo refreshing!

• justagirljustagirl Raw Newbie

Could anyone give me an idea of how to get greens in my diet, since I don’t like raw greens? Perhaps a way to disguise them? Any help would be appreciated.

• NuttgirlNuttgirl Raw Newbie

Spinach, romanine, and bok choy are my favs right now.

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

I eat more kale than anything else, my favorite is Lacinto kale, but I also love arugula and good, old fashion spinach! Oh and parsley, mmmmm.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

justagirl: Green Smoothies! The way to go. Any greens with your favorite fruit. About 2 cups water and 6 cups greens with 2 fruits (about 1 cup fruit). You drink half of it in one day… the rest keeps for 3-4 days.

List of some greens:
    arugula, asparagus, beet greens (tops), carrot tops, celery, rainbow chard (yellow, red), collard greens, endive, red kale, dino kale, green kale, romaine, red leaf, dark green leafy lettuce, spinach

Then, you have weeds… which I won’t list here. They have a stronger flavor. Since you don’t like greens, just use them sparingly or in smaller portions when adding them to your smoothies.

• My favorites are endive, escarole, and romaine