Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Spirulina - the best way to mask the taste??

Hi there, am interested to know how best to cover up the taste of Spirulina. Does anyone have any clever ideas that work? At the moment I’m putting it in juice in powder form and downing it as fast as possible. I’ve tried it in Smoothies but it’s rather grim so am hoping that someone out there has a combination that makes it more pleasant. Thanks.

Comments

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Spirulina is reported to be a good vegetarian source of vitamin B-12.

http://www.spirulina.com/SPBSpirulina.html

You can always get a Cap’m Quick and turn your powder into capsules.

• I find that too much of it gets stuck to the side of the glass or blender, so I don’t mix spirulina into anything. I just eat it with a spoon and then wash it down with water.

I like the Cap’m Quick idea.

• Oh, I know how annoying it is to have spirulina stuck to the side of the blender so I came up with a trick – I mix it with blueberries before adding water.

• i went to a smoothie class at Cru (in silverlake los angeles $15 bucks every sat at 10:30 diff topics) last saturday and she said pomegranite juice does the trick….p.s. i couldn’t try it cause I was fasting but worth a try.

• How funny! I do use pomegranate juice! =D Organic from Trader Joe’s. Yeah, I know, not raw since I believe it’s been pasteurized.

• yea right outside the class there is a little farmers market and they sell organic raw juice so all the students went out and bought it up haha

• apple juice masks about all green things.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

and lemon too. Celery masks wheatgrass juice…

• Spirulina is 65% protein – the highest source of protein found in any food (it contains all 8 essential amino acids). It also the world’s highest known plant-source of vitamin B-12 and also includes a load of vitamins, chlorophyll, cell salts, phytonutrients, and enzymes.

Am going to try apple juice and celery (possibly both together!) to see if it works – and berries to stop it sticking to everything. Thanks.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

curious: What does spirulina taste like? Bitter? Sour? ???

• It’s hard to remember now but when you taste it you wonder how you could possibly forget. It’s not bitter and it’s not sour. It’s strong and overpowers all other tastes. I’ll find the right word when I have it tomorrow morning and get back to you….

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

I haven’t had spirulina in ages, but grapefruit juice is ideal for masking the taste of my favorite algae: e3 live.

• Believe it or not, raspberry crystal ice makes it pretty palatable. I know that it has artificial sweetners, yadda, yadda, yadda... But I think the health benefits of the spirulina make up for that. Especially if its the only way to get it down.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

I think the problem is people put it into there smoothies and such have to drink jugs of spirulina tastingness. If you dont like the taste of spirulina this can taint and ruin your love of the fruits etc its mixed with.

The easiest way to consume herbs, superfoods etc that you dont like the taste of is to put the required dose in a small glass with an oz or two of water/fruit juice. Mix well and chug it back quickly. This has always been my preferred method. Alternatively if you even find the above hard you can buy some empty vegetarian capsules and capsule up the spirulina powder. Will still work out lots cheaper than buying the tablets, encapsulated versions which crazy mark up etc.

• AumAum

I put just a teaspoon in my smoothies and I never taste it! I'd mix it with dates and nuts and things for a power bar as well.

• The smell I think is the worst... it smells like fish food, which in some cases it is..

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=spirulina#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_19?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=spirulina+fish+food&sprefix=spirulina+fish+food&rh=i:aps,k:spirulina+fish+food

Before I went raw, I put it in my miso soup... that disguised it completely.