Raw on a budget in LA

Hey out there in Los Angeles….. I need help! I am poor :D and really really want to be raw. Can anyone suggest where to by cheap food? I live in Silverlake but am willing to travel pretty far.

Also any ideas for being raw on the go would help (im a super busy girl)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

Try the Hallelujah diet. It has a lot of raw vegetables in it and a good amount of fruits and nuts but not too much. It is not that expensive because they eat a lot of veggies, some fruit and do not pig out on nuts…just enough to keep the taste buds happy and keep their weight up.

• I’m in Los Angeles (also in OC). Oh man, being raw in LA is pretty easy.

Korean and Mexican markets generally have cheap produce. I can get small organic fuji apples from the korean market for $2.99 a bag (I think that’s 3 lbs? I forget). I don’t buy organic kale because there’s not much pesticide load on it and also I grow it. I thus get kale at the Korean market for 69 cents a bunch or something like that. Most of the produce I buy is not organic unless I see it on sale.

Also, I get my raw organic almonds and pepitas from Trader Joes.

I’m only about 40-50% raw right now so that’s all I know for now. Hope it helps.

For raw on the go, I eat a banana. Or a mandarin orange, those are really good and sweet right now.

• I am also la/oc….i know of all the raw restaurants in LA but not really down yonder….

I guess my big issues are that I am so busy with little time to prepare, I am use to the lifestyle of just picking up a quick fix somewhere (usually =’s veggi burritos,,,ton’s of great mexi in LA)....so what are some ideas for people that are so busy?

• Have you heard of the csa? It’s a great way to get local organic produce that you either pick up from the farm t’s grown at or at the farmers maeket. Depending on the size of the basket it goes for $30-37. I was going to sign up for this when I lived there this past fall but ended up moving. Hope this helps, maybe you already found a great food hook up! Best of luck. Oh and if you aren’t afraid to make friends witht he produce people at stores then they might saved some of the produce they ususally throw away at the end of the day for you. I worked at a health food store and every few days I’d get a bagful of very ripe fruit and veggies.

Here’s the csa website

http://www.southcoastfarms.com/csa.htm

• I live in OC, and have a very busy and hectic work week. I find that with a little pre-planning. I always have something ready to throw into my purse and eat on the go. On the weekends I ususally throw some large batches of flax crackers or something in the dehydrator, and get all that stuff done in advance. I will make up batches of raw hummus, etc. When I have a day or evening off, I will pre-chop some veggies. I will prepare little mini-meals in small storage containers for carrying things on the go. And when I am really in a rush – it only takes a minute to prepare a green smoothie- and easy to drink on the go. As far as shopping, the farmer’s markets are the way to go to cut costs.

Thanks Noff for that CSA link – I am going to have to look into that!