Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Thyroid & raw foods ?

I was wondering what this whole “raw veggies are bad for women age 30-50 who have a family history of thyroid” means. I mean HOW can raw veggies be bad for anyone? Yet is seems that some of you folks may have a greater understanding of this than I do. I am also curious because while I am not yet in my 30’s, I do have a family history of thyroid, and i dont ever want to give up on raw veggies!

Comments

• Is it “hyper” or “hypo”-thyroidism that is in your family’s history?

• I am wondering too after some posted about goit…something greens. I have asmoothie each day with Kale or spinach or something similar and enjoy a kale/avo/date wrap or broccoli salad for lunch. Is that bad
    FYI I take thyroid med for hypothyroidism

• FreesiaFreesia Raw Newbie

Some vegetables such as broccoli , cabbage, brussel sprouts .. all the cruciferous family of plants… have a substance called goitregens which can effect the uptake of your natural thyroid hormones.

Although not raw, peanuts and soy products also have a goitregenic effect… but so does iodine(!) if taken in excess..
    As someone who has overcome hypothyroidism with raw foods and fasting, I still eat cabbage and broccoli, but I try not to have too large a serving at one time.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

http://www.naturallifechiropractic.com/thyroid2…

There is a lot more info on the website on thyroid issues. I found it by doing a search for goitrogenous foods on google. As you already said, it says to avoid goitrogenic foods if you have a primary thyroid issue.

Here is a list of goitrogenic foods:
    Bok Choy
    Collards
    Watercress
    Horseradish
    Broccoli
    Kale
    Mustard Greens
    Kohlrabi
    Brussel Sprout
    Radishes
    Cabbage
    Rutabagas
    Cauliflower
    Turnips
    Soy
    Almonds
    Walnuts
    Pine Nuts
    Millet
    Tapioca
    Sorghum

My question is, ok, so we can avoid these foods, but do we have to do it forever? At what point can we begin eating them again? I do not have a thyroid problem, but do have family members that would be interested in knowing this.

• Hi Everyone,

I just read a really informative blog about goiters & goitrous foods. The list is longer than you think. It also lists foods that are good for thyroid function. You can read it here:

http://cupidvalentino.blogspot.com/2006_06_01_a…

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Great link Kimbaly. The trick is to eat things in moderation, vary your diet. I take a raw seaweed supplement to chelate mercury (Modifilan) and I started noticing improvement, I believe due to the iodine in brown seaweed. Many of my hypothyroid symptoms have gone, some hve gotten better. I stopped having as much hair loss and the cold feeling in my hands and legs has diminished. I eat many things on the list of goitrogenous foods, but I try to eat things, like coconut oil and seaweed to counteract the negatives. I rarely eat the obvious goitrogens, like cruciferous vegetables, because they are also more difficult to digest and the nutrients are less bioavailable. Cooking lessens goitogenous effects of these vegetables and breaks the cellulose down, making them more nutritious. I don’t believe they are optimal foods on a raw diet. ALL of these foods have a good side and a bad side. It’s all about balance.

Thyroid problems are often caused by mercury toxicity as mercury tends to settle on the thyroid’s iodine receptor site. Mercury and selenium compete for the same site. If you have thyroid problems, eat a few Brazil nuts for the selenium and seaweed for iodine. Candida is often at play here too as mercury attaches to candida and candida screws with hormones. There is only one disease, it’s all due to a chemical imbalance in the body. You can’t fix one problem without addressing the others. I’ve been working on healing from MS and all of these issues have come up over and over again. I’ve done immeasurable research and I still don’t have all the answers. I doubt that anyone does.

• Hey, here’s a question: Is there anything left to eat?

• Thanks for great info everyone. I second your concern MON.
    I plan on eating this stuff still, but not to have morethan one serving of each per day. For example, If I have a kale smoothie, I won’t have the broccoli salad. A girls gotta eat, ya know!

P.S. Can anyone suggest amounts?

• Wow! Thanks for this very useful thread including the link to the blog. It’s very informative. I’ve struggled with thyroid issues myself…and I’ve had some of the tired crashes the author of the blog talks about…just from eating the wrong greens! I’m going to go have a pineapple and parsley smoothie now…maybe with some seaweed thrown in for good measure. ;)

• WOw! Thanks so much for all of this information! I am not sure what type of thyroid runs in my family, but I will ask my mom. Its good to know that there are foods that counter the effects of others.. But still, what a bummer!!!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

marysia- if you don’t have a problem, don’t fix it. =)

• as long as you include sea vegetables in your diet you will be fine consuming any vegetables, as it will balance out.

• plus you need to nourish your adrenals with protein and sodium…i realise i have been eating much too much potassium in fruit which has worsened my adrenal fatigue.

• I am not a sea veggie person but I want to be. Any suggestions on amounts? i do have thyroid issues and don’t want to give up my kale or spinach!

• One more thing, that’s all I need is one more thing to deal with. I have finally decided to go for the whole blood panel, to see if what is going on with me is yet one more thing, like thyroid or possibly adrenal exhaustion. I only read the first few posts, and peeked at the link, and don’t want to know anymore for now.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I like sea lettuce from Maine Coast Sea Vegetables. It’s certified organic and raw. I also drink Dr.Schulze’s Superfood with algae. Wakame is brown seaweed with alginates, good for mercury detox. I like that too, but it isn’t raw usually.