Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Funny Reactions

I just love the way grocery clerks look at me when checking me out (...that sounds funny….). For example, last night I bought 20 avocadoes, 10 pounds of bananas, and another 25+ pounds of various fruits and veggies. I swear, she looked at me like I was crazy and asked, as she was scanning me, “HOW many avocadoes do you have here?” :o)

Do you have any funny grocery store stories?

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Funny looks? All the time!! I get cashiers asking me what on earth am I going to do with all these tomatoes? when buying a whole carrier bag full of them. I get nearly every visit, the normal, “so you like to eat healthy do you?” Mostly I get the cashier confessing to me how they ‘should’ eat better but don’t like it/don’t have time etc People stare into my shopping trolley on the way round, but I don’t mind I stare at theirs and think “What no veg!!” I rarely tell them I only eat raw food. I just say stuf like,” Yup I love my greens/tomatoes/avocados”...to which they usually reply, “well then you’re very lucky!” Sometimes I say I am vegan, once the cashier replied with “So do you eat fish?” “no” “do you eat dairy?” “no” “do you eat chicken?” “no” “do you eat eggs?” “no”....which was really funny seeing as she could see everything I eat coz she was scanning it at the time! I will at some point get a leaflet printed out to hand out:)

• i like carrot apple juice. so when i go to the store ill buy 30-40lbs of carrots 30-40lbs of apples, and just about everytime i do this everyone anywhere near the check out counter is looking at me like wtf ?? i try to act like i dont notice anyone looking at me, and whispering what can you possibly do with all those carrots ??????? :) what makes it stranger is when i cant help but to just crack up and start laughing then everyone gets an even more odd look. but then they look like they might possibly understand why. a guy who just starts laughing very loudly for no apparent reason would have such an abundance of apples and carrots :))))

• SystemSystem Raw Newbie

I get funny reactions quite often, especially when buying grapes. I sometimes buy 10 pounds at a time, and when they’re on sale I go crazy (they’re not the cheapest item here)!! I have often gotten from the cashier OR the person behing me in line this comment: “Are you making wine?” And I reply: “I actually don’t drink. I just love grapes”.

Some cashiers are quite considerate, and tell me the price of the grapes, then ask me if I still want them (I’ve often paid around 18$ or 24$ for them). Of course I still want them!!! From what I’ve witnessed, carnivores never hesitate on buying a 24$ steak!...

• Joseegonthier – that’s what I always think too, when I have 5 pounds of walnuts and 5 pounds of almonds – no one would think it strange to have a 5 pound piece of meat in my cart! So strange how our culture views people who choose to eat naturally!

• Zoe – a brochure is exactly what you need, which is why I just don’t say ANYthing about how/what/why I eat what I do.

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

I have had the cashier ask me if I were on a diet. I had mostly greens. Kale, arugala, broccoli, cucumbers, chard, cilantro, avocado, parsley, 2lb tomatos, 5lbs of oranges, 6lbs of grapefruit and some others stuff I can’t remember. I think she was being sarcastic though, I am not sure????

• Oh, it’s so fun to shop!! The reactions are priceless! We have 5 kids so you can imagine the amounts….We buy bags and bags of apples…25 lb bags of carrots…veggies, green, etc., you all know what I mean. The biggest (and to me funniest) question we get is, “How do you get your kids to eat that stuff?” To which one or more o the kids will say, “We like it!” or, “It’s good!” I think it’s even funnier when my kids are clamoring for grapes or carrot sticks while other kids are whining for cookies Mine ask for dried figs and dates while others ask for candy. It’s fun. So many moms have said to us, “I wish mine would eat like that.” To which we always reply, “Well they can, you know!”

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Wow I bet you are an inspiration to so many Mums at the supermarket Ashira!

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Yeah, my favorite is the way they quote the total price of something they just weighed. They’ll say those are £6.83??? as if to say, Do you realize how much your are spending on these tomatoes? I usually answer very confidently back. “Oh yeah that’s great!” or sometimes “They are worth every penny!”

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

it is funny when the cashier sits there holding an avocdo with a confused expression on their face and says “What exactly is this???” This happened so many times to me!

• SystemSystem Raw Newbie

Even with herbs such as dill, cilantro, basil, and even parsley. Oh yeah, can’t forget the lettuces, like kale, chickory, arugula and bockchoy.

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

I went to the store and realized my number were wrong it was 18 pounds oranges and 20 lbs grapefruit. No wonder they looked at me weird but usually the ones that give me strange looks are the ones that have a cart full of too many packaged snacks, cereal, meat, coffee, and not one vegetable or fruit.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Today the cashier thought my courgettes were leeks!!!

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

One cashier thought my guava was a pear. I understand that many people are not use to guava but still it isn’t a pear. I also had the arugula mistaken for the lettuce but it can be similar to romaine so I wasn’t harsh.