Changes in thinking...

A few days ago, I went to the grocery store and bought peanut butter, whole wheat bread, burritos, and other cooked things. I just had to have them. I still eat a lot of raw foods, but I don’t feel right referring to myself as raw, even though the definition may only require a touch over 50%.

It’s interesting how people’s thoughts evolve over time. I went vegan in 1995. But last year, I switched back to leather shoes after 12 years. Some foot problems required the changeover to better non-vegan shoes. So I went from being vegan to vegetarian.

Then, recently I added fish oil softgels to my diet for the DHA and EPA. I didn’t feel that flax oil was a sufficient source of omega-3s anymore. So the vegetarian label went out the door too. (I don’t eat any other animal products).

Labels are a hard thing to have attached to you. At least they are for me. I never quite fit any definition 100%. I think I just prefer to say “I do my own thing.” This applies in religion too. I was born Jewish, but then explored Buddhism, Taoism , Hinduism, Paganism, and Atheism. I suppose that I may be a little bit of each.

For now, I’ve decided to go “label-less”. Ah… the relief…. I don’t have to meet anyone’s expectations anymore or conform. Free to continue the exploration process of life. A little of this… and a little of that.

Are you still evolving too? Do we really need labels?

Comments

• ron, what a lovely learning journey you’ve been on! I definitely agree with you that there isn’t a need to be %100 of anything to enjoys the fruits of healthy eating, religion, or anything really. I agree that labels can be considered restricting but I think we often use them as a way to find commonality with others. For example, this website is specially for “raw foodies” and those curious about eating all or mostly raw. I believe most of us are drawn to it for the same reason we’re drawn to other groups of people: a shared view or interest. Likewise, labels can help us to identify groups with different views and interests and hopefully we all seek them out at some point to learn about different ways of life and expand our horizons.

I definitly agree with your overall point though, no need to restrict ourselves to one of anything! :)

• As long as you are seeking to reduce suffering in your life as much as possible (you obviously are), labels are not so important. But they can be very helpful when you are at a restaurant, or describing to a friend what you would/wouldn’t eat.

One thing you could say when it would help is, “I follow a vegan diet”—which is true. You are not vegan, but those are the foods you would want. Descriptive and helpful without being a label.

A sentence instead of a word gives that much more room!

• DelphineDelphine Raw Newbie

Beautiful post ron ! I also prefer not to be under any labels as I find them limiting. As far as my dietary preferences, in this moment, I eat raw & vegan. Beyond this, it is the unknown, an unfolding journey in which my commitment is to be true to myself : )

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

ron4540, thank you for your post! I found it to be comforting in some way.

The world of raw food is wonderful and I’m still enjoying it but feel that sometimes there are too many restrictions and rigid ideas for me personally. And with so many viewpoints and philosophies about what to eat and what not to eat, it can get so darn confusing and almost depressing.

I am still on my raw food journey, but I am not goint to worry or obsess if I do end up having that pesto tempeh and a pint of stout when out with friends. And I’m back to having my nice delicious hot coffee in the mornings too!! I know that I’m truly happier having this coffee back in my life.

When anything in life is no longer enjoyable or even stressful, it can help to take a step back, take a deep breath and just relax. Do and eat what makes you truly happy

• FreesiaFreesia Raw Newbie

I’m so glad to hear that people are following their own heart and not feeling that they have to conform to any set of prescibed eating rules. I agree that labels may be handy for friendly explanations.. but other than that, all labels have gone out the window.
    When I look back over the years, I can’t believe how rigid I was with my ideas on raw eating…. and judgemental of others too, I must admit! (Arrrghhh!)
    Now I eat whatever I want whenever I want and that just happens to be raw for most of the time (watch out, food police!).

We are so lucky to be able to have the choice to eat a plentiful supply of raw food if we want to.. it is a privilege considering what most of the other 6 billion of us have as food choices. How dare we be militant!
    Anyway, it is most heartening to read all your posts on this topic.I’m with you all.