Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Vacuum Storage System

Has anyone used the vacuum storage system called VacSy, put out by Zepter International???

Feedback on other good food-preservation welcome.

Comments

• I have the FoodSaver and find that I don’t use it much. The thick plastic seems like a waste environmentally and financially. A little something still needs a big plastic sheet/bag. That’s just by opinion. Some folks live theirs. One redeeming quality: it is a nice way to freeze individual leftovers for my non raw family.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I agree with Hippie Chick… it seems like a waste environmentally & financially. I have a FoodSaver and I don’t use it at home; however, I do use when travelling. I think the jars would be a better choice… you can hook those up to the FoodSaver to suck the air out and reuse the jars. But… I haven’t bought any.

• I was looking at VacSy because they do use glass containers. The lids are plastic, which
    does disappoint me. However, I was looking for a way to preserve my greens, raspberries,
    strawberrries, etc. a little bit longer. I know Carol Alt mentions VacSy in her book
    ‘Eating in the Raw’. I do use mason jars to store my nuts and herbs.
    Just wanted to know if anyone was familiar with VacSy.
    Here is the website…
    http://www.zeptercookwaremi.com/vacsybasic.htm

Looking for glass alternatives verses plastic storage or plastic bags.

• Carol Alt does rave about her VacSy, and I love the idea of keeping things fresher longer.

How much are the sets? I just did a search on ebay and they seem pricey! See if this link works for a small set:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zepter-VacSy-Food-Vacuum-Mi…

• Have you tried the Everett/ GreenBags? My organic kale is perfect 2 weeks later!

• Simplyraw,

I have the Pump n Seal I bought for $30 from

http://www.vitalityplus1.com/product_info.php?s…

(type in: pump-it & seal-it)

You poke a hole (with inclosed thumbtack) into the mason jar lid, cover with this little plastic bandaid-like strip, and hand pump out the air with the hand pump stick thingy. I really like it and its so simple! Well, the illustrated instructions themselves weren’t very clear. But once you figure out where to stick the red plug in (it goes on the side for jars, and in the bottom for use w/the inclosed tube to vaccum ziplock bags).

To open, you release the vaccum by lifting the plastic “band-aid”. Its reusable and stays on through washings.
    I’ve been using it with my juicing. I can make a days worth of juice and store it in the fridge without worrying about too much oxidation to the juice.

To all,
    has anyone used one of those microfiber bags to store greens in the fridge? I am currently using everett bags, but I am also looking into one of these.

Is it okay to use mason jars in the freezer?

• skizzyskizzy Raw Newbie

jayybee30: my mother used to keep herbs in the freezer in mason jars. i don’t think there’s a problem with freezing them.

• Hippie Chick -

Thanks for the advice. I have ordered a Barley kit from the Sprout House. And it has Everett bags that come with it. Thanks for the info.. I have not used the Everett bags before.

In the refrigerator, we do store herbs and green smoothies in mason jars. I really enjoy the look of some of our other herbs, nuts, and seeds in the mason jars. So, Pretty! Currently,in process of designing & building a rack on the kitchen wall to display the beauty of herbs, nuts, and seeds. Not to mention, the need for easier access.

I was just interested to know if anyone out there had tried the VacSy besides Carol Alt.

On another note…
    Thanks for all the advice!!!

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

jaybee, will you need to buy more of the little bandaid strips? Do they sell them separately when you run out?

• Green bags rock!! Don’t like vacume bags.

• Hi RawVoice,

I was looking around and I found their official site which allows you to re-order the tabs for $9.95 (75pc). It comes with 60 already and I have yet to throw one out due to wear and tear so that amount should last you a long, long time.
    The only ‘problem’ I’ve had was when I made the level of juice in the jars too high, I ended up sucking up some of the liquid (foamy part) into the vac-stick. It still works and it eventually dries up, but I don’t want it getting stinky either!

http://www.pump-n-seal.com./info.htm