Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

accutane/ bc pills

I noticed in another thread that a few of you have been on accutane. I took it in 7th grade (I’m 21 now). I was just wondering if any of you have had any particularly nasty detox symptoms that you think might be related to it? Maybe its out of my system by now, but that stuff is TOXIC!!! I remember my skin being red, dry and flaking off, killer back aches, etc. I also started taking a bc pill in 9th grade to gain weight, and just kind of stayed on it. I stopped taking it this summer. Ive noticed that my lower stomach is always a little bloated, even if I haven’t eaten anything, and I’m thinking this is related. What does it mean??? Ugh. Pills are gross.

Comments

• I did accutane twice, the first time I had to be taken off early because I was experiencing bad depression. My acne came back and so I was put on it again and with birth control. Since I have gone raw, which is only a month and a half I haven’t really experienced any bad detox symptoms but I also haven’t really done any extreme detoxs. The most I did was the raw diva 7 day detox. I also havent been on accutane since the early part of my freshmen year in college and Im now in my second semester as a sophmore. I also have a lil pudge in the lower stomach area regardless of having eaten or not. I never had it before I went on accutane or BC so I guess its from them. Wish I knew how to get rid of it. Even when my stomach is toned, it still seems to linger.

• Hmmm, this is an interesting topic, About a year and a half ago, literally overnight I got a ‘belly’. I was thin as a rail and suddenly I looked 4 months pregnant! It didn’t go away. This was shortly after I gave up meat for good. At the time I was living in a foreign country & drinking their water, etc, so I thought maybe it was some kind of parasite. I’ve done every kind of cleanse. I’ve been to several doctors & have had several tests & they say it’s not ‘fat’ and maybe I should consider a surgery to pull my muscles together (no way!). Since then, I’ve gained a lot of weight and I’ve never felt quite right. I’m very active & I eat well.

My point is, I too was on accutane about 4 years ago. I’ve always wondered about this lingering in my system. I really do feel like something is not right with my insides, and possibly this could be some kind of answer?? I don’t know about it showing up this late, or in this form, or maybe I just have to deal with a hardened big belly?

If any type of cleanse to remove this is found, I would be very interested. I will do some research as well.

• I was thinking that maybe its just candida? What other side effects would come with that?

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

curious as to what accutane is and what it cures?

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

accutane is a highly toxic prescription medication for severe acne. it completely screws up your liver, and the majority of people who take it experience side effects such as depression when taking it, and have their acne return after they stop treatment. you’re not allowed to have kids for a certain amount of time after taking accutane because it messes up your body so much.

• lstorzlstorz Raw Superstar

I was on accutane for about 4 months 6 years ago, and the only side effect I had was dry skin. Although now I would never go on it, at the time I did not know a third of the stuff about food that I know now… for instance that cane sugar (which I now know that I am highly allergic to) gives me cystic acne. At the time, however, the accutane worked really well for me, and I never had the same cystic acne that I had had before since. I did not have any additional negative side effects (as far as I know).

• Lyn-doe and Raw_Mama

It has been as least 18 years since I was on Accutane.
    I was on it for about 6-8 months. It caused the skin on my face
    to flake off. Sometimes resembling a potato chip. I could not
    sleep with my face on my pillow. It was too painful! I did
    have back pain when on it, but at the time did not put the two
    together. I was about 19 years old then, and definitely did
    not know what I do today. In the end it did not help my acne
    much and they left scars. I did go on to have a daughter when
    I was 28. Perfectly Healthy. Although, she is now 9 years old
    and has acne appear on her face like a 16 year old. At 32, I
    had another pregnancy that had to be terminated, because the child
    had severe cystic hygroma which led to high drops. (High drops
    is where the skin of baby starts to push away from the childs body.
    Which becomes deadly for the mother.) I often wonder if the accutane
    I took had anything to do with this. The doctor said it did not.

It should probably be noted I am not big on taking pills.
    And my family history’s health is good. No heart disease, cancer,
    etc. that runs through my family.

With that said…I to am having the same “Belly” has described. I had not
    thought of it as being related to accutane. It would bloat up from time to time, and I often thought it did look like I was 4 months pregnant.
    I truly understand what raw_mama is talking about when she says…
    thin one moment, to turn around and find out you are 4 months pregnant overnight!

This thread has raised a very intriguing thought.

However, I currently have my whole family doing…..
    Andreas Moritz – Amazing Liver and Gallbladder Flush.

We are in the middle of doing this flush
    right now, but I am already seeing and feeling a difference in my stomach.
    I am not having the ups and downs of my belly expanding. My daughters acne is
    finally fading away. We are excited about the outcomes we are already seeing.
    I am feeling lighter and happier too. It is like falling in love with being Raw
    all over again!
    We cannot wait to see what happens on the seventh day
    when all of the gall stones pass.

Belly Be Gone!

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I, too have fought the 4 mo pooch for a couple of years. I can’t get rid of it no matter what I do (with the exception of fasting cleanses but still a bit of a pooch remains where I would normally have been flat or concave). It does get better when I eat fewer nuts, esp nuts and dried fruit which I know is a bad combo anyway. I have also spent many years fighting candida secodary to a high suar diet. I am now weening myself off of dried fruit, but even completely off these things I still had this problem. It also was there way before I went raw. I was eating healthy omnivore SAD. I religiously monitor my pH and I am acid. No matter what I try I have never been above 6.8 (saliva) first thing in the am. You should be 6.8-7.4, I can get there sometimes during the day but I am struggling. I eat a ton of veggies, mostly soaked almonds for my nuts and some seeds. I am really trying to watch the volume now so we’ll see. I am also planning a juice feast and I am hoping that helps. Boating is a common problem with being too acid as it interferes with digestion. I seemed to have gotten my candida problem under control but colon function is sluggish a lot in the last year or so. I know acne can also be a sign of excess acidity too. anyone check theirs?

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

yikes I feel sympathy for those that have suffered from this med! :(

• When you have acne for so long, granted mine wasn’t that bad, at the time accutane seems like a god sent because it outweighs the depression one feels from always having to cover up their face with make up and all sorts of other products. I never really made the connection with my belly and accutane probably becuz I didn’t have any problems weight wise when I first went on it. I also wasnt required to do BC the first time around, so the combination of them together probably wrecked havoc on my already compromised immune system. Wish I had known then what I know now about nutrition. I noticed when I did the Divas 7 day detox, which was basically green smoothies, mono meals, veggie and fruit snacks that my pudge subsided but as soon as I added any kind of fat back in it would just retain it again.

simplyraw-
    do you have any info on the Amazing liver and gallbladder flush? Is it a book, a website?
    Let me know how it turns out and I wish you the best of luck!

• Lyn-doe,
    One possibility of whatthis could be is candida. Many people say that you have to cut out all sugars for a very long time to get rid of it. However, others claim that it is excess fat that is the culprit, and therefore cutting fat completely out of your diet for a little while would be the quickest way to get rid of the candida. This might make sense about why your stomach came back after adding the fat back in. So, maybe try cutting fat out for a little longer, maybe two weeks? I am thinking about doing this myself, but would also be interested in the liver/gallbladder flush.

• Lyn-doe,

There is no website for the liver flush that I have found.
    It is a book called "The Amazing Liver and Gallbladder Flush"
    written by Andreas Moritz.

You can view it and some reviews here…
    http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Liver-Gallbladder…

Here is another site that breaks the flush down into steps…..
    http://www.healthynewage.com/liver-gallbladder-...

**note – this site says 24 ounces of apple juice, where the book says 32 ounces of apple juice.

During the cleanse you are to avoid animal sources,
    dairy products, and fried food items.
    Which isn’t an issue if you are eating raw.
    Eat normal meals, but avoid overeating.
    You are not suppose to eat/drink anything chilled or cold,
    because this chills the liver and reduces the effectiveness
    of the cleanse. Food and drinks should be warm or room temperature.

I am actually reading “The Liver and Gallbladder Miracle Cleanse”
    written by Andreas Moritz. It has truly been an interesting read.
    I am learning so much about how our body works and why it is
    important to eat certain meals at certain times during the day.
    The chapter called “How Can I Tell If I Have Gallstones?” has been
    a real eye opener.

However, I decided this book has been so informative
    that I have ordered “The Amazing Liver and Gallbladder Flush”.
    From what I have read they both have basically the same information,
    “The Amazing Liver and Gallbladder Flush” has just been revised.
    With maybe a little more information in it.

We have not even reached our 6th day and I am already feeling a
    huge difference in myself. And seeing a Great difference in my
    daughter’s face. We are all excited to see what will happen on
    the 7th day. It has been such an easy cleanse to do and there
    has been no pain involved at this point. I find myself during the
    day forgetting that I am doing the liver flush. Then, I go “Oh, Yeah.”
    My stomach seems to be getting flatter and flatter each day. But maybe
    that is just me. It definitely feels 10 times lighter.

Hope this helps.

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

You know it’s crazy… I’ve always heard from people that if you suffer from acne that won’t go away, you need to look into the health of your liver… and what does accutane do? It destroys your liver! I was on it for a shorter period of time and at lower doses. Things cleared up for a while, but that was just for a short while. I wish I had never gone on it in the first place, but having acne makes you desperate. Even going raw didn’t completely clear my skin. I’ve finally found my cure by reading the book Eating for beauty by David Wolfe (I believe that’s what it’s called). Every day I keep seeing improvement.