Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Fabric for Nut Mylk Bags?

greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

Does anyone know the name of the nylon fabric used to make these?

I bought a couple of them and want to make my own but I live in a small town without a fabric store. So I need to find the fabric on the web and for that I need to know the name of the fabric. Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Maybe you could make them out of cheesecloth if you can’t find the nylon.

• I find cheesecloth works best. But sorry I don’t know the fabric. :( However I imagine most anything somewhat breatheable would work well. As long as the liquid can pass through, right? I could be wrong.

• FreesiaFreesia Raw Newbie

I have used terylene.. which is sheer curtain material (like nylon). It’s tough and inexpensive and it won’t rip easily.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Now that is a great idea… making your own nut mylk bags. We use cheesecloth… but, I was wondering: are these fabric bags reusable?

Terylene… sounds like a good fabric that won’t leave lint in my mylk or nut pulp. I hope it’s reusable! If not… is it cheaper than cheesecloth?

It’s cheap as anything, about $3 metre (aussie), tough as old boots and I’ve used mine many, many times for nut milk, spinach, all manner of minced raw food. I whizz them up on the sewing machine in about 5 minutes. I made some extra large ones as well, (about as large as paper size A4) and I double sew the seams, which I place on the outside of the bag , otherwise food may get caught in the seams on the inside.. but I make sure it’s neat and presentable!!
    I thread a clean shoe-lace in for the drawstring.

If you can sew a straight line, you can easily make a nutmilk bag.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Victoria Boutenko said on one of her DVDs that the sheer material (thule?) people have under their wedding dress makes excellent nut mylk bags :) Also clean pantyhose works. And you can purchase paint bags, which are the same type nylon bag (maybe a little courser) at Lowe’s or Home Depot type places inexpensively.

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

Thank you Freesia and rawmama,

I should have been clearer in my initial post: I’m looking for the fabric used in the nut milk bags that are sold by the Boutenkos and others. It’s nylon, not cheesecloth. Cheesecloth is not at all the same, it’s not as strong, a mess to squeeze the milk out of, and not reusable.

The nylon bags I have are ideal, they are strong, filter all the solids out perfectly, hold up for a long time, and rinse out in a jiffy. I just have a problem paying $5 (ebay) to $9 (online stores) plus shipping for 30

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

My mother in law made mine – she’s a seamstress. I bought some fabric at the hardware store – a type of cloth screening for windows…I know that seems odd, but I washed it and had her make about 10 bags for just a couple dollars.

Carmentina,

That sounds interesting. Do you know the name of the fabric?

• Go to Loews or Home depot and buy Paint straining bags.
    I think you get two or three for like $3.
    I have had mine for yrs now and I also use them to sprout stuff.
    I think on the websites they sell mylk bags and sprouting bags for $10/pc.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Sorry Greenie, no name :(

Greenie, I will happily make one for you and send it to you!!

Freesia,

What a sweet kind offer. Thank you so much. And thanks also to everyone who replied. I think the paint straining bags will work fine, too.

This is such a great board!