celeac and sprouted grains

i have celeac sprue and was wondering if sprouted grains would cause the same trouble? i love oats and wanted to try sprouting oat groats. i’m pretty sure wheat grass is okay. do these grains (wheat, barley, rye, oats) contain gluten when sprouted?

Comments

• I have celiac too:( Wheatgrass and buckwheat don’t contain gluten as they aren’t technically wheat.

Barley and rye DO contain gluten so I would avoid those grains. Same with kamut and spelt.

Oats are questionably raw…and it’s up in the air as to whether they affect celiacs..as they dont contain gluten but a similar protein. Some people with celiac can handle oats, others can’t. I find I’m okay with oats but feel better if I avoid grains altogether!:)

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

I have a friend who is celiac and she says to be weary of wheatgrass as it may touch wheat, and buckwheat as it is grown right by wheat and often will have bits of wheatberries hidden between the grains. She gets a very nasty reaction from such things, I don’t know if all celiacs would… Regardless, I would avoid sprouted grains of any kind that may contain gluten, including gluten free grains that aren’t completely separated at the sorting factories.

• That’s a great thought morning_theft. That’s probably why I feel ill when I eat gluten-free grains too:(

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i’m okay with cooked millet and rice as long as i don’t eat too much of it, but i’ve yet to figure out what to do with it raw/sprouted. but even with millet, i get a little bit of swelling, (but none of my serious gluten intolerence symptoms)
    the swelling might actually be caused by high blood sugar from my diabetes.
    i feel best without grains altogether, i just occasionally want something that is bulky like oats. the last time i tried to eat regular cooked oats i felt horrid the next day, not as bad as with wheat, but still pretty bad.

zer0—i just read your profile, i think we are on an identical timeline with our recovery. i started back in july, and began to find my way to health very rapidly with raw food, i’ve had a few pitfalls, but i’m renewing my committment, and getting closer to 100% everyday.

• susannabellajanesusannabellajane Raw Newbie

I am gluten-intolerant, and even sprouted wheat, kamut and spelt products make me sick.

Although technically oats do not have gluten they are so cross contaminated with wheat in the growing, transporting and processing departments the typical raw rolled oats I have purchased makes me just as sick as wheat.

Thankfully, Bob’s Red Mill (out of Oregon City) has oats which haven’t been grown in the same feild as wheat or processed by wheat-procesing equipment, The link is here if you want to have a look: http://www.bobsredmill.com/gluten_free_info.php