Whats the trick to soaking and dehydrating nuts and seeds

So I soaked my raw pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds the other day so I’d save the prep for later- when they would be ready to use- knowing they were still wet I put them in the dehydrator till they seemed crisp and dry and transferred them back to plastic container with lid. Only to find that the pumpkin seeds had gone soft and developed mold and not sure about the sunflower seed sprouts- the sprout was no longer green. My dehydrated crackers seemed to do the same thing- go soft after me storing them. Any advice???

Comments

• FreesiaFreesia Raw Newbie

Surprisingly, if you keep dehydrated crackers in a container in the fridge, they stay crisp.! Use a container with a strong seal.

Perhaps there was humidity in the air, or the seal was not strong on your seed container. Where moisture gets in, the mould can start.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

How long were they in the dehydrator? I would suggest 12 hours or more (like 24) for seeds and nuts. I store my nuts/seeds in glass with a plastic lid, so I don’t know if the plastic has anything to do with it… just guessing there.

• lstorzlstorz Raw Superstar

What kind of crackers do you make that go soft? I make flax crackers with sunflower seeds, and I had the same problem at first until I realized that you have to rinse the seeds REALLY WELL before dehydrating them. I dehydrate for 12 hours, and that usually gets them completely crisp (except for the middle of the bottom shelf sometimes). Then, I just store them in a big glass jar or tupperware, and they stay crispy for two weeks (by that time, I’ve eaten them all, so maybe they last even longer??).