Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Where do you live?

Comments

• meths969, waves i am currently in brighton, uk – just thought i’d mention i met a raw someone recently who lives up in brum. i could give you his myspace if you likes :)
    maybe there will be birmingham potlucks – cool! x *

• ajcajc Raw Newbie

I live in nsw,australia.You can get some vegetarian meals at the restaurants we go to or just settle for a salad.

• GALLUP (rural) NM- No other raw foodists around here (Im pretty sure I know just about everyone in town) and you can’t even get a veg option at 90% of the restaurants. But we are lucky to have a small coop and a farmer who is starting a CSA for this season – yay! Im also fortunate enough to travel a few times a month to Cali and other cool states for climbing… Red Rocks in NV has amazing climbing and then I get to eat out at an awesome raw food cafe- sweet!

• hi! i live in Queens, NYC. Obviously, we have stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s. I don’t always buy organic produce, but have increased my organic purchases a lot recently.. we can easily get a bunch of organic fruits and vegetables also at the very close Stop&Shop, which is nice and convenient. But i was very shocked and kind of annoyed at how much packaging a lot of organic produce has! I got some organic garlic, they were on a plastic tray thing, and then wrapped in saran wrap!! Couldn’t they put them in some sort of cardboard container, or loose in bulk? You would think that people who produce organic food would be more environmentally friendly!! I’ve been vegetarian for about 10 yrs now, and am eating lots of raw meals lately. And the husband likes it too to my big surprise!!! :)

• Well we got philly and scranton. Well let’s add harrisburg PA to the list :).

• San Francisco. Obviously, there is a substantial raw movement here (this is where Juliano opened his first, and I think one of THE first, raw restaurants). Cafe gratitude is awesome, and Rainbow grocery carried everything I could ever even think of wanting. There are potlucks, but so far, I haven’t been to one.

I’d like to meet other SF raw people, but there is no private messaging on gone raw. Too bad, it’s my only complaint, I love, love, love this website!

• crystalbat,hi thanks that will be great if you give me his myspace , i would like that very much,thanks a lot for your help.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Waterloo, Ontario Canada. for veg. I do my best in the long winter months, and gtrow my own (VEGETABLES!) in the summer. At this time of the year I always find myself ‘California dreamin’

• I live in Costa Mesa, California. Right in the OC. It’s a pretty good place to be raw. I have raw restaurants within miles, and some pretty good places to shop.

• Hi there from beautiful (and cold right now) Soran, Kurdistan, North Iraq! I moved here in 2006 from Sacramento, CA. which is like moving to Jupiter if you ask me… It’s a completely different world here, there are NO health food stores! NONE! I don’t think people would buy from them if there were any though.. the culture here is all about food, cooked food, and lots of it. I’ve told some people (besides my inlaws) about raw foods and I get this “You poor thing.. you don’t eat anything… don’t you like eating?” so it’s sadly very much like the US. Man do I miss the farmer’s markets, Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, and the co-ops… You all just don’t know what you got there!!!! I know there aren’t any raw foodist here in Kurdistan but maybe there might be one or two vegetarians.

Heartshapedsky: if you can travel to Eugene (far I know but it’s worth it if you can get there maybe once or twice a month) there is an AMAZING co-op there and plenty of farmer’s markets along the way. I spent some time in Myrtle Creek in 2005 (that’s where I learned about raw fooding) it’s really great plus there is a potluck group I know in the Myrtle Creek/Roseberg area that you might like to get in contact with if you’re interested.

Oh yeah and I forgot that Cali also has an really awesome raw un-bakery in San Deigo… That would be Omshanti’s :D you guys are just SSSSOOOO lucky!!!

• I live in Houston, Texas. It’s kind of wild, this is by far the least health supportive city I’ve ever lived in. Fortunatly it’s not new to me to not know other people who share my diet. But I would love a raw food restaurant here, just to get out once and a while. There seems to be some nice places elsewhere in Texas, I’ll have to venture to them.

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

I live in Surry, Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

KurdishMom, its so funny becuase my relatives and other Persian people say the same thing to me, “Oh you poor thing..you don’t eat anything..” lololol. Our cultures really are similar aren’t they.

• kauaigirlkauaigirl Raw Newbie

Kaua’i, HI!!! Raw scene is pretty good here due to the abundance of farmer’s markets, fruit, etc. but the restaurant scene is slimmer than I’d like. Blossoming Lotus is here but they only have one raw entree and I’m sick of it I’ve had it so many times…. ;)
    A lot of the smoothie places disappointingly use canned coconut milk, frozen fruit, etc. which I find highly upsetting!

• Northern VA/DC metro area. I haven’t been able to find much of a raw scene here but we do have some good farmer’s markets, Asian markets & Co-ops for fresh/organic fruits and veggies.

• Hi everyone, I live in beautiful northeastern New Mexico. Right near the ski resort of Angel Fire. There are no raw foodists in my immediate area and I have to go 2 hours to Santa Fe to get to a Whole Foods, Trader Vics or Wild Oats. That is when the canyon roads aren’t closed due to snow. We do have farmer’s markets in the very short summer, but as it is still snowing here, it will be a while. I think living at 8,500 ft has seriously affected my thinking, cause I love it here. (Although, some times I would rather be in Hawaii) lololol

Pam

• hi again, his profile is myspace.com/philwithenergy :)
    i am very very very full of gratitude for the amazing fresh supply of magical local foods and people heheh and potlucks and choice and advice and … yeh its an amazing place to live this sort of lifestyle! lucky in birmingham though too, i bet you can get all sorts of interesting indian foods and herbs…ever given fresh turmeric a go? x

• Hi Pamparred- I live in Gallup! We may be the only raw foodists in NM! Maybe we can meet up sometime when Im boarding at Angel Fire.

• Hi avocado lover that would be great! Wasn’t sure anyone would know where Angel Fire was.

Pam

• thanks crystalbat, not yet have only tried the dry one but it is available in indian shops and very good prise , thanks for the help i will try check him out,this is truly an amazing place to live,thanks

• I’m living in Pittsburgh at the moment, not my favorite of cities, but we have a decent movement. There is a group of us that meet up once a month and do pot-lucks, or have famous speakers come and host dinner parties. Most recently we had Juliano, next we’ll have Paul Nison. We also have two raw restaurants, though one is still in the process of being built and the other one’s existence is barely known. We also have a Whole Foods and a rather small co-op, but it’s full of raw items! I meet people weekly that are interested in becoming raw, and I try to spread my knowledge as well as I can!! I also work with three other raw foodists!

• We are in Southern Maryland, moved from Northern California and Arizona so I feel like I have been dumped in the middle of no man’s land for raw! Jeez I miss California soooo much! I have been investigating the stores. We have a natural food store a few towns over. There is a Whole Foods in Annapolis, but it’s a trip. And as far as restaurants go, nada here. I am an abberation to most people I talk to and they don’t get it. I have frequent mess ups and start overs, which hadn’t been so while I was in cali. Anyone in the area????

• ambergirlambergirl Raw Newbie

I live in St. Helena, CA. I and I basically the only raw person I know… However i do have a very supportive boyfriend. He’s not raw, but he helps me out! He lives i Santa Rosa, which is about 10 min away from Sabastapol, and I hear that this summer, a raw foods restaurant will be opening up there! I’m looking forward to it!!!

• pamparred- you can me on myspace at: :http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=114290724 Hopefully I’ll hear from you soon!

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

I live in Ukiah, California. It’s north of San Francisco on Highway 101, about two hours give or take depending on traffic. And no, it’s not pronounced Yuck-iah, lol! It’s You-kye-ah. It’s a Pomo word meaning deep valley. I love it here! :o)

ambergirl… a raw restaurant in Sebastopol, really? Ohboy!

P.S. Jamestheraw!! We’re in the same little town, can you believe that? Trippy. ;o)

• Manhattan/NYC. Pretty good organic produce available here but WHOA is it expensive. And despite it being Manhattan, I would say there is little variety in what is available organically or even raw. I am looking forward to farmer’s markets in the summer—hopefully produce will be cheaper then. But I am really excited because we are moving Portland, OR, next March and I can’t wait to be raw there!

• Richmond, VA (for 5 years now) and VERY happy to be leaving this summer for grad school. I don’t know anyone raw here, and just trying to be a healthy vegan in this city has been frustrating (as far as eating out that is). I’m not sure where I will end up moving, but it looks like El Paso, TX or St. Cloud, MN. I’d love more info about these places if anyone has it.

• JDJD

outside NYC. Have plenty of raw food organic options here. We have Whole Foods and also Stop and Shop which has their own line of organics in just about every store item that I need. Have an organic store in nearby and a produce market but they are not organic.

• Venice Beach, CA! Looking for other raw foodies and vegans? Throw an artichoke here and you’ll hit one. There are plenty of restaurants—three raw food places within walking distance and lots more throughout the very widespread, LA basin.

As I’m sure you have guessed, the whole movement here is very trendy and popular; as I type this my cat is making tofu.

• Atlanta GA, where you are an alien if you eat RAW FOOD.

P>S = I have to say this did anyone think that zooey glass was “The ROck” when they first saw his pic. LOL Tell jesus the cat to sprout some buckwheat.

• I resent that, ardes. The bigger you are the harder your brain has to work to make you function. The apatosaurus had two brains. The rock is 6’5 or something and only has one very overworked brain. I am only 5’ 9” I’ll let you figure out that one.