Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How do I chill out the garlic?

I love garlic in everything I eat… but sometimes is just so spicy.

Does anyone have a good idea for reducing the pungency but not the flavor??

I’m thinking about resorting to Garlic Powder in dishes that I don’t want that sting in.

Comments

• you don’t have to resort to just any garlic powder if you have a dehydrator you can dehydrate garlic bulbs and grind them in a coffee grinder to make the best tasting garlic powder ever!!

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

The spiciest part of the garlic (and that part that I have trouble digesting, so always remove) is the little vein on the inside. I would cut the garlic in half, and simply pluck out the vein.

• Elizabeth! Thank you!! I’ve heard about how people have trouble digesting the sprout, but I never thought that it was the source of the spicyness.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

You could also try growing some garlic leaves by planting the bulb. Garlic leaves are awesome and not a spicy or strong as the bulb itself.

V

• Have you tried using wood garlic instead? It is a lot less spicy, you can even make a salad out of it. The season is coming for it, if you buy a bunch of it, chop it up and put in olive oil you can make enough to last till the next season. It’s great on spiroolied pasta in itself or as pesto base, for salad dressings, soups, dehydrated breads etc.

• Humananimal,
    I had just heard about planting the bulb and eating the garlic leaves. You can do this with onions too.

I also learned that you should eat the skin of the garlic….that is where the ‘good oils’ are (phenylpropanoids) Maybe you could try just eating the skin? Not sure if it will give you the flavor that you are looking for, shady lady, but you could try it!