Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

cleaning products

I am wanting to replace all of my dangerous cleaning products in the house with safe ones. In Norway I have only 2 brands available in the health store I think: Ecover and Sonett. Do any of you have experience with these products?

Comments

• I use baking soda or bicarbonate of soda, vinegar, lemon, salt, a spray bottle of alcohol, almost everything can be done with different combinations of these. I like to add Tea Tree oil in too for some things and other times I enjoy lavender and rose oil to sweeten things. Most often just a hot wet cloth followed by a soft dry towel is mostly what keeps things clean in my home.

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

I 2nd everything RosemaryBurton just said! I’ve been using those things for a good couple years now, they work wonderfully!

• Thanks for the tips! I can get all of those things at the local grocery store :) What combinations do you use (like how much of what) and for what areas (toilet, windows, dishes, laundry etc)? Do I have to whip up a batch every time I am cleaning or can I make a bottle and keep it in the pantry for a month? Thanks in advance for the great info!

• ajcajc Raw Newbie

Vanilla is good to wipe out your fridge with,also leave a container of carb soda in there to absorb smells.A container in your shoe cupboard is a good idea too.

• northernlights – you could also use dr. bronners soaps! they have one called sal suds that is used for cleaning purposes. from dishes, to laundry, to counter to ANYTHING you need to clean. its 100% natural, organic, and contains free trade ingredients. theres also the regular soaps for showering (amongst other things). i use the peppermint soap to brush my teeth. it works amazing. www.drbronner.com

• oh and i totally meant FAIR TRADE* not free trade

• I put soda in a shaker container and use to scour like you would powders for your sinks and bath and I use this on my cutting board and then follow with a spray bottle with vinegar… these two react with a child delighting FIZ and then rinse with water. For simple clogs or yearly maintenance you can put about a cup or half a box of soda down the drain followed by a cup or more of vinegar and then a pot of boiling water. I use straight alcohol on mirrors and anything I want to SHINE. Vodka in a spray bottle will kill bad bacteria in shoes and will come in handy for cuts and scrapes too. It is also an amazing breath freshener LOL. For tougher scouring problems you cut a lemon in half pour salt on the problem and rub with the lemon half….amazing results. I dilute vinegar and water and add any essential oil, just two or three drops, I like and use as an air freshener. I also have a handful of bug spays that I mix up and keep on hand….a simple one for about any bug but works very well on fleas if you have indoor, outdoor pets is take cedar chip animal bedding and brew a tea a big pot of hot water with two big handfuls of chips, let it set a few hours, strain and put in a spray bottle. I am not too big on exact measurements I mix things up the same way I cook and never have the same thing twice because I won

• Thanks Rosemary! I will give it a try!

• These are great tips! I love the lemon and salt – I have two lemons that are a few weeks old and I really don’t want to eat them but I just have not been able to through them out either. I am definately doing this as soon as I get home.

Does anyone know of a book I can pick up or website I can check out for additional/future info?

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Wow… great tips! I’m with Junebelle… does anyone have a website to reference… or a book? Ptherwise, I’m printing this out! :o)

• This is a great wed site that I use all the time. I love the streak free glass cleaner.
    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Prairie/8088…

• Hi northernlights, I used Sonett products and I think they are fantastic! I especially liked their washing up liquid, It’s also very economical, I only had to use a tiny bit each time, it made a big foam and I could wash a lot of dishes with that. And it also cleans the heavily soiled dishes very well. ( But ever since I eat raw food I don’t have heavily soiled dishes anymore lol)

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

A great book for non-toxic living is “Home Safe Home” by Debra Lynn Dodd. It has all sorts of recommendation for non-toxic alternatives for the products we use today (including cleaning products). She also talks about what is in products and what sort of illnesses exposure to them can cause. I changed alot of stuff I use after I read this book. She also has a web site. You can email her too. She started developing environment illness from over exposure to toxins and had to change her whole lifestyle.

http://debraslist.com/

• These are great resources. And thanks flybaby! I am going to buy Sonetts washing up liquid now. Great!

• any recommendations for marble? i’ve been told not to use anything acidic…

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

I love Ecover products! I use their dish detergent (smells great) and dishwasher detergent which is one of the best natural brands I’ve tried.

• Hey, thanks amysue! I actually ended up buying ecover products and so far I love them, too!

• I am also using Ecover washing up liquid now and it is great!

• Here is a good link for some homemade cleaning recipes. http://www.care2.com/greenliving/make-your-own-...

I haven’t used cleaning products in years besides basic baking soda and vinegar. And if I have to disinfect I use peroxide bleach. Seems to work okay. :)

• One alternative if you don’t want to make your own solutions. BIOKLEEN makes a wonderful product that I live by and they actually work better then all of the harsh smelling crap on the market .. POSTED the link below.

biokleenhome.com