Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

general health advice...

honeywaterhoneywater Raw Newbie

heyas! i’ve been wondering about these two different questions for awhile. i’ve googled both of them, but i always seem to get different answers, and i don’t even know who to trust. raw foodists seem to be even more intelligent than your average doctor when it comes to the basics of health, so i thought i’d ask here!

1. how much sleep should the average 19 year old girl get? i’ve read anywhere from 7 to 9 hours. what do you guys think?

2. how much water should one drink everyday? you always hear 64oz, but i’ve also heard that that’s far too much as well as far too little. i tend to only drink about 55oz per day – is this totally awful? keep in mind i’m not 100% raw yet, so i’m not eating as many water filled fruits and veggies as the rest of you probably are.

thanks for any info! i’m trying to be as healthy as possible from now on, so i really appreciate any help. :)

Comments

• ajcajc Raw Newbie

Average anything for 19 year olds varies ;-)
    My boys survived on 5 hours or so,less of a weekend.
    It’s not awful how much water you drink.Just listen to your body and drink when you need to.
    I would never try to force down 8 glasses just because they say so.Anyways at my age I’d be peeing all day!
    If that is your photo,you have beautiful skin,you must be doing something right.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

1. Sleep? I don’t know. But, the general rule is to sleep before 10 PM which is when you’re melatonin levels change. And, one hour before midnight is more beneficial than 2 hours after midnight. Also, sleep in a very dark room.
    2. I’ve heard, a half ounce for every pound that you have; this is recommended for the average person. But, I’ve learned that the more green smoothies you have, the more water you need or at least some flax oil to help all that fiber move along. Oh yeah, I almost forgot… a nutritionist recommended to drink plenty of water… and by noon, your urine should be clear… I guess that’s just a general rule of thumb.

• Very good questions!! I would GUESS that both answers depend on your level of activity and what your body is ‘telling’ you.

I have heard that the more raw you are, the less sleep you find that you need…don’t know if this is true, but since upping my raw percentage the last few weeks I have only been sleeping 5/6 hours a night with plenty of energy! If you have the luxury, listen to what your body is telling you to do and sleep less/more.

I have heard the same thing as Germin8 as far as water…take your body weigt, divide by 2, and that is how many ounces you should drink. With more raw foods, you typically need less water. If you are active and sweating, you will typically need more.

• Sleep as long as you need to wake up feeling rested, and without needing an alarm clock.

There was a discussion on the raw food support forum, and a lot of people were saying they actually required more sleep, because they were no longer masking sleep deficiencies with stimulants. I think our culture undervalues sleep a lot because we’re not being “efficient” or producing anything—but rest is of a lot of value to us, even if there’s no $$ value attached. Be proud to give your body all the rest you need.

That being said, I used to need 8-9 hours, and now I thrive on about 7-8. And I may need more of less in the future.

You do not need any set amount of water, go by your thirst. If you are avoiding added sodium and eating water-rich foods, you will need very little. If you do the raw gourmet foods with lots of added salt and dehydrated foods, you may need as many as a person on SAD (closer to 8 cups).

• You can tell if you need more water also by how often you have to go. For me I was so used to drinking and drinking during the steamy summer months that I was running to the bathroom every hour for a while. So don’t be doing that, also be mindful of the clarity of your urine. Urine that looks light light lemonade is good, urine that looks like apple juice is bad. I know, I know, I just ruined the glass of lemonade you’re drinking :)

• honeywaterhoneywater Raw Newbie

haha, thank you so much for all of the wonderful responses! you’re all so sweet and helpful!