Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

B12 - raw achilles heel?

2»

Comments

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

flybaby, why do fermented veggies have B12? I was always curious about that. What kind of fermented veggies have it? I’m looking to a more natural source than the pills that were given me. They were given to me but I checked the label and they contain milk sugar!

• I hope these links will help you:) I recommend sauerkraut, I live in Germany anyway lol

http://www.deliciousorganics.com/Controversies/...

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=Articl…

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Thank you, flybaby:-)

• modhinamodhina Raw Newbie

Thank you for all of that info Alpinemeadow. I don’t think anyone is getting hysterical, but this is a serious issue for raw foodists. We should be informed, how lucky we are that she took the time to know all of that!!!shwew-

It is a bit overwhelming tho, and I for one think that if b12 is only in animal products, hang on flybaby i’ll get to that-then how can you take a supplement unless flybaby is right, I’ll check out those sights again, but I’ve lookedthis all up many times before, hope I find out something new.

Yes, I’ve heard about the sea veggies, and the sprouts before, do I feel it when I eat them-not really, I tend to sprinkle quite a lot of brewers nutr. yeast on food when I crave it. Last month I had some fish which I try to avoid with salad, and also sometimes I get some creamy white cheese to eat for calcium before my cycle.

How can a supplement have b12 if it only occurs in animal products? Unless flybaby is correct and maybe the combination of many minimal b12s add up-
    also, I read that the b12 shot was now thought to be hazardous to health if done on a regular basis?

I think too much nutrit. yeast is ama forming. And what do the Jains eat?
    I have Scandinavian background-is it good for me? I never reallyl drank my milk tho.
    fermented foods- how is it they have b12- tho undoubtedly good for digestion I definitely need to eat more shall check out that site
    thanks for your in put everyone

Just went to those sites and no luck with the science one the other is an advertisement so the b12 thing was referring-it looked to me to the kefir which is a dairy product soooo I’m not convinced as of yet.

Also, hope this comes across as a compliment, but most of you look youngish-20’s maybe less or early thirties-especially you Alix1962-ajoke- kombucha-
    I don’t think it looks like something I want to eat, everyone says it’s so great, but I am not drawn to it, my Mom has books on it and I just don’t want it.
    So how long have you all been going without animal food? Maybe I need to try the rejuvalac thing. Rumours are nasty things tho and I hear about raw foodists with problems and I get concerned about calcium and b12- iron is easy cause I have a great veggie supplement.
    Maybe Ann Wigmore has some answers for me.

• MopokeMopoke Raw Newbie

Deep thanks to everybody for this relevant and, for me, very timely information.
    Reading through the other threads has explained so much as well!
    Clearly there is no simple dietary program that is going to work for every person – modhina is right – we’re all different ages, egos, health, genders (time zones?) metabolic and genetic systems, different blood groups, different histories, different stresses and, despite the raw connection, different diets!
    Meantime these forums are such goldmines of relevant information to help navigate an individual course towards better health and well-being – and surely this is the main drive for being raw (and whether that drive is steered by planetary or personal-based ideals makes no difference).

Thank you Zoe for the explanation and links as to why my B12-inclusive diet may not have been enough to support me.

An update on the effects of my B12 shot is that I crashed badly on the fifth day after – skin went grey and energy plummeted.
    After reading about someone’s dad who needed weekly b12 supplementation I am now wondering if my system was so desperate for it it has already used it all up?
    I am also curious about that essential element around which B12 is based – cobalt…. I read this element is medicinally used in the treatment of red blood cell anaemia and that excess can cause many of the same kinds of problems caused by B12 deficiency.
    Possibly there are similar ‘homeopathic’ connections to other aspects of life in other vitamins…
    there is some interesting information on homeopathic trace elements here: “receptors.http://www.heel.ca/news/detail.jsp?id=93&catego…
    (“Cobalt Oligosol is particularly valuable in cases of headaches, migraines, vasomotor disorders, vertigo and tinnitus. This is due to the sympathicolytic effect that Cobalt exerts on vascular receptors. As well, interestingly, Cobalt has a regulating influence on stomach and bowel”)

I’m just feeling the need to say it again, I think regualar b12 shots are amistake.

Interestingly though I just was at a
    Gabriel Cousins site about b12 and I think all vegetarians and raw foodists should take a look at it. It clearly states that 80% stat about b12 deficiencies in vegans and live food people.
    It also states information about pregnant women and b12 supplementation if not there could be issues, and vegan children raised by vegans, apparantly some have had some learning problems due to a deficiency.

I guess I’ll have to find a supplement, as dairy products provide some b12 but seafood apparently the main source.

Please tho, everyone, check out Gabriel Cousins site, it is clear, that if you choose to be 100%vegan you should consider supplementation.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I looked at the Twinlabs brand of supplements – they have sorbitol. There was another brand I looked at which had fructose instead of sorbitol, but it was a super high amount of B12 in each sublingual tab (50,000% RDA). I may buy it anyway and just use one once in a while; I don’t know. Thank you for all your information.

• gwenagwena Raw Newbie

I don't know how old this post was, but a lot of this information is outdated. For instance, fermented vegetables don't seem to have enough B12.  Also, spirulina's B12 is bio-unavailable (or the wrong kind).  Also, for those who go there, there is not that much B12 in eggs or dairy either, not enough.  It was all looking pretty dire. However, I was happy to find recent research with B12 options for vegetarians here:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4042564/.  According to this article, we can get B12 from Nori (not other seaweeds/algaes), and supplement that with Chlorella (check label as they vary), and shiitake mushrooms.