Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who still drinks tea???

RawKarateGirlRawKarateGirl Raw Newbie

Hi everyone, I was wondering who still drinks tea and what are your favorites???

Comments

• I LOVE tea, and I really don’t see how it can be bad… My favs are yerba mate, herbals (apple or ginger), and senna tea (really helps when the pipes get…er, clogged)! If you’re buying bags, make sure to read the ingredients; some companies put in soy lethicin to preserve the flavour or something

• RawKarateGirlRawKarateGirl Raw Newbie

Thanks for the heads up kathrynintheraw! and I love yerba mate tea too!

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

I love green tea, especially jasmine green tea…hmm, I also drink white tea occasionally when we’re out of green tea. They’re too comforting, warming, and relaxing to give up!

• Does anyone know what’s supposed to be “wrong” with tea (other than the obvious non-raw thing)... All I’ve ever heard about are the health benefits of tea. The caffeine in yerba mate is even supposed to be different than the caffeine from Coke or coffee in that it makes you energized but doesn’t set you up to crash later or make you dehydrated

I’m not really sure…. I don’t think theres anything wrong with tea myself.

• koolieaidedkoolieaided Raw Newbie

I haven’t drank tea in a long time, but I’m going to start drinking green tea and this herbal infusion tazo tea call calm..it has chamomile blossoms in it. Tazo tea is definitely my favorite brand right now.

• I love tea!! I like to make my own by steeping mint leaves, ginger or other herbs in my little tea pot. Green tea is lovely too, especially if you can get loose leaf. I’ve always drank a lot of it, since a young age (growing up in asia). Its always been a relaxant and comforting!

As for tea being bad…some have fake flavourings in them and I imagine these wouldn’t be very good. And black tea etc does have caffeine. And you could burn yourself (lol). I cant drink tea scalding hot anyway – I’m always getting into trouble for leaving mugs around the house to ‘cool’!

• koolieaidedkoolieaided Raw Newbie

I guess it depends on how you make it. If you use your own herbs that you picked and let them set in cool water then it would be raw. If you boil the water then it’s cooked. I’m not sure about the prepackage teas, but it doesn’t really matter it’s insignifate in comparison to how much raw you eat.

I’m always getting in trouble too for leaving mugs around the house too And Thanks for the heads up on the tea.

• JDJD

I hope this doesn’s sound silly but where do you get tea leaves. I don’t think I’ve ever seen them in a store before.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I drink tea, no problem with it. Twinings English Breakfast, good black tea.

• pundee- you usually won’t find whole leaf tea in a grocery store. i get mine either from the natural food store or this place called “the tea store” (i’m in ontario). it all depends where you are… but you’ll usually have to go to a specialty shop to find whole leaf. good luck searching!

• Great topic :) I definitely love tea particularly china green tips, ginger, and chai. I recently learned a lot more about the health benefits of tea from one of my favorite books “The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth” by Jonny Bowden, PhD CNS. The key points were: Black, Green, and White tea leaves all come from the same plant and the different colors/varieties from that tea plant are due to the amount of “processing” the leaves go through. In some types the processing involves steaming, pan-frying, and/or fermentation. However, the processing doesn’t necessarily lessen the benefits in fact each type of processing creates its own set of healthy chemicals. Green Tea contains polyphenols called catechins that are anticancer agents. Though black tea’s catechins are inactivated during processing, it contains more complex polyphenols than green tea and a whole bunch of unique antioxidants. Numerous studies found a strong connection between frequent intake of black tea and a reduced risk of heart disease due the components of black tea lowering both LDL (bad cholesterol) and triglycerides (fatty acids in our blood). Green tea has been found to lower the risk of esophageal cancer in the Chinese by up to 60%, aid weight loss in the overweight, and reduce inflammation.

So drink up! :)

Thansk loving raw for the info!

• I drink a Stash organic green tea (gunpowder) and rooibos and yerba mate sometimes.

• WOW, so many post on this one. I love tea also, that is herbal tea.

• Pundee – I live in NYC and there is this wonderful store called Sympathy for the Kettle – you can also order from their website. sympathyforthekettle.com.

I LOVE loose tea – my favorite for the moment is ‘silver needle’ which is a white tea. I also love dragon pearl jasmine tea.

• Pundee – loose tea is also refered to as ‘bulk tea’ on packaging. Hope this helps.

• RawKarateGirl, glad you like the info :) I forgot to mention that Adagio Teas

http://www.adagio.com/

has fabulous varieties of loose leaf teas, samplers, and wonderful kettles, one cup brewers etc.

• Has anyone tried making loose tea in the sun? Just wondering if this would technically still be raw tea (providing the leaves were not heavily processed).

I love green tea, but have recently heard that it blocks your ability to absorb folic acid. Anyone heard this?

I just discovered Yerba Mate tea and LOVE it!

I am definitely going to try some of the teas you guys suggested!

• Lady Le HarleLady Le Harle Raw Newbie

I work for a naturopath/herbalist in a tea house. I blend all kinds of herbs – nettle, licorice, lemon balm etc. My current favourite is Nettle-burdock-licorice, its like being an alchemist! But I drink yerba mate everyday. And Matcha (a green tea powder that hasnt been exposed to heat treating and can only be prepared with warm water not boiling) We have a special water heater that is at a lower temperature for the green teas and yerba mate. If I am correct, this temp doesn’t change the “raw status” of the tea leaves/herbs. If you put your herbs/leaves of choice into warm or hot water and leave it over night you will get good flavour but you wont get as many antioxidants or medicinal benefits, boiling water literally draws out these qualities. I personally do not like using boiling water unless I have too. X

• Lady Le HarleLady Le Harle Raw Newbie

Oh! check us out at http://www.aaahtea.co.nz
    “Aaah! Nourishing Tea” is the name of our place. We have lots of different kinds of teas including (for the yerba mate lovers on this thread) a Brazilian Mate that is to die for – I have yet to find one that comes close!!

• Tea warms, comforts, and calms me. It is something I probably won’t give up. I like a good black tea, as well as green tea and jasmine tea. mmmmm…

Thanks lovingraw!!!

• ajcajc Raw Newbie

I’m glad it’s ok to have tea,I was missing my Twinings Earl Grey of a morning.
    Not much else I really miss about my “other” diet though.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I gave up most tea because of the caffeine.. but still drink peppermint tea, ginger tea.. and will.. every two weeks or so have some yerba matte.. it rocks!

• Thanks for sharing your website Lady Le Harle…your store is so cute! Wish I could visit. Couldn’t find the Matcha that you were talking about though. Could you send me the link to that one directly?

• JDJD

kathrynintheraw and Junebelle- thank you for the information. I live in Nyack which is about 20 minutes outside NYC…Junebelle might know the area (Rockland County). I am in Manhattan quite often so I will definitely check out the store.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

herbal tea and yerba! my favs but gotta say at the moment addicted to morrocan mint! a rip off from the coffee and tea leaf…peppermint herbal tea,almond milk, and raw cocoa powder with agave sweetner! heaven!!!!

• I love tea too!!! I drink a LOT of green tea, white tea, rooibos, mint and other herbal teas. They are very good for your body and soul.