Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

CHEAP salad Dressing???

shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

Salad Dressing can get VERY expensive. I can buy it and that gets very costly and is not raw. I can make it and…its still expensive. I just bought a decent sized bottle of organic spectrum brand balsamic vinegar (I splurged) for like $7.50 and little under a quart of olive oil for like 12.00. I think that I will save the balsamic vinegar for other things besides salad dressing. As I get the most expensive one available, I think and salad dressing can be made without it.

For a while, I just made salads without dressing but if the salad has anything bitter in it, it does not taste the best but I grew to like it. I recently bought some Paul Newman salad dressing (the cranberry walnut). I did not think to check the ingredients before buying the bottle as I used it a few months ago and thought that it was good. After I used it a few times, I found it has vegetable and/ or canola oil in it as well as sugar and salt. YUCK. And I used it. Oh Dear. At least I did not use very much.

Is there any kind of cheap salad dressing that can be made cheaply???

Comments

• do you have trader joe’s? olive oil is way cheap there. also, apple cider vinegar is your friend. and lemon juice. one of my favorite dressings is:

flax oil
    bragg’s amino’s
    apple cider vinegar
    lemon juice
    sesame oil

you can also add ginger, garlic, miso, mustard and/or honey

put in jar. shake. keeps for a week or so.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

if you arent to worried about raw, get seasoned rice vingar at a oriental market or at your own super market, but its more expensive there….its great.

• If you are interested in a ready made dressing the company Bragg’s makes two different salad dressings, one being an all natural sesame and ginger dressing. The Whole Food’s by me carries it for around 3-4 dollars. It’s ‘12 servings’ and the ingredients are “Bragg Organic Extra Virgin First-Pressed Olive Oil, Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Bragg Liquid Aminos, raw honey, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, lemon juice and sesame seeds”. It’s delicious. They also make an organic vinaigrette, though I have yet to try it.

Of course whipping up your own variation of the first dressing could be an option. Under the website by Karen Knowler I found a recipe of hers similar to the dressing above. She says it will last a week. She uses the following:

1 cup of olive oil + 1/2 cup of pure water (the water makes it less oily and gummy)

Honey OR Agave nectar (about 1 Tablespoon)

2-3 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar

A liberal shaking of salt

The juice of half a lemon

Crushed garlic

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

The expensive salad dressing you are buying is 80-90% water. When you make your own you should be using that much water. To thicken it up, add soaked and sprouted sunflower seeds. If you make it like this – 80% water it will not be expensive.

A quirky fave of mine is: banana, 1 clove of garlic, between 1 tsp and 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar OR lemon juice, and salt to taste. Blend until smooth. mmmmmmmmm, try it, you’ll see, no nuts, seeds or oil required!

• Chris reccomended the banana/garlic salad dressing to me before, it’s soooo good!!!

• banana garlic dressing? please link me to that. Oh never mind I saw the recipe above zoe wrote… now that is something! You promise its good? Is there a link for this?

• No link that I know of, it had been mentioned in a previous forum like this one. I promise it was good for me!!!

• I really like the lemon tahini dressing on this site, its so good! Its not too expensive to make as long as you make your own tahini.

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

Zoe, thank you for the banana dressing suggestion. I’m back on the raw wagon after a week long fast, really need to lose weight, and I’ve been looking for fat free dressings. I’ll give this a try when I’m back to eating more liberally again.

• hannahmariehannahmarie Raw Newbie

this is maybe fake raw, depending on how raw you are (when i am REALLY calling myself raw i do fruits, veggies, raw nuts.. none of that maybe raw stuff), but soo good.

raw tahini
    nama shoyu
    apple cider vinegar
    lemon juice
    water
    parsley
    chives
    pepper

mix together until it tastes delicious (sorry, i don’t know any measurements)

• modhinamodhina Raw Newbie

Why go fat free greenie when you will lose the weight naturally on a raw diet, and incorporating good fats will help you. You don’t want to put yourself on the edge. Take it easy what’s the rush- feel good first. That puts you in a pleasant state of mind. I make these delicious coconut and almond paste cookies with coconut oil, and I feel good when I eat them, of course probably it’s best not right before bed. Avocados with salad will ground you. Pink sweet juicy red grapefruits are grounding. Soaked sunflower seeds. Lots of greens and water. YOU NEED THE FATS.