Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Uses for Soft Wheat Berries leftover from Rejuvalac?

I was wondering if anyone knows of any uses for the sprouted soft wheat berries that one uses to make Rejuvalac. It would be a shame to throw them away, but then again, they do have a fermented taste. I have made crackers from hard wheat berries that were sprouted, but I dont know if these would work. Any ideas?

Comments

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

You could throw them on top of soil and grow wheatgrass :) I throw mine on top of fresh cut pineapple or watermelon with a dab of raw honey for breakfast. If you dehydrate them they are super crunchy for on top of salads.

• WOw! Thanks for the good ideas! I love them both! Last night I ended up finding a recipe for Essene Bread, so I made a loaf and if its any good- Ill post it up in the recipes! But now I kind of regret not having left any for breakfast of as a crunchy treat! yum! :)

• Maybe they could be dehydrated and used as a flour/yeast blend for a sourdough bread. Since they should have the yeast and distinct flavor with it from the fermentation process. Just an idea. Or you could blend them with equal parts water and strain out the pulp (uses for that well you can use it in your essence bread) add some oil let sit out and see if it might turn into something like yogurt or sour cream. Since it would make something like a sour wheat cream :).

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Is it possible to prepare the leftover wheatberries without the use of a dehydrator?

• Sure why not. All you need to do is basically use them like any other sprout. These just might contain a unique flavor :).

• ambergirlambergirl Raw Newbie

i soaked my wheat berries and then turned them into a bread…its in the dehydrator right now…

wheat berries make wheat grass?? I feel so silly; i didn’t know this!

• At what point does ‘fermented’ become ‘rancid’? I’ve made rejuvelac twice in the last 2 weeks, and am scared of it and it’s left over berries. I was even afraid to throw them in the yard for fear of killing a bird or something. ???

• Well fermented and rancid are 2 different outcomes. If you use clean well kept jars you shouldnt have any bad bacteria getting in and spoiling them and growing molds and such. I don’t think they go rancid in general since they don’t have such a high fat content but they can go bad if something other than the critters we want sneak into it. Same thing can happen with anything left to ferment in this manner. I hope this kind of helps you out some. Just remember with things like this cleanliness is next to godliness or so the one chef says.

• Thanks Chris S! I do try to be extra cleanie weenie! Everything I’ve read said that you can use the same berries and make a second batch, so I drained off the rejuvelac from the berries, and them added more water for the second batch. That’s when I got a little leery. So if I’m extra clean, then after the second batch- if planted, should they sprout?

• Well I let mine sprout a bit before I’ve added my water. But I don’t see why they wouldn’t sprout. The only thing extra I would think there might be some extra good bacteria and stuff on the grains. You can rinse them with water but you may not get it all off of the berries. I’ve actually done a 3rd batch from a single bit of berries with similiar flavor from each batch. You didn’t kill the berries so try it. They may just be “twangy”(it’s the only word I could think to use).

• If I do plant the sprouted berries, and they do grow, I wonder if the greens will taste ‘twangy’? :-) But seriously – I will try and grow them & see what happens. Talk about economical. 1 batch berries = 2 batches of rejuvelac + possible wheatgrass too!

Ok I’m panicking right now. I’m making rejuvelac for the first time and I need some serious reassurance. So I’m using the method where I soak them, in the “same” water, for 2-5 days? I started last night and gave the jar a twirl this morning and maybe I should go and give it another twirl. Could someone confirm this method please? I’m nervous.

Did I need to soak overnight and rinse before I started this? I think I did, to remove the enzyme inhibitors?