Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

MSM?

juicyjuicy Raw Newbie

Hi there. I need some opinions/experiences with MSM. I have heard this helps with detox?

Comments

• RawKarateGirlRawKarateGirl Raw Newbie

I use MSM. what would you like to know???

• juicyjuicy Raw Newbie

What do you use it for? Does it help with detox? What changes have you noticed since taking it? You buy it in pill form? Is it expensive? Do you recommend it? What does? lol…there is sooooo much information on the internet and I don’t have time to search around for reputable sources. I trust my gone raw friends! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

It’s supposed to help build stronger hair, skin and joints. Garlic, radishes, and broccoli are good natural sources of msm also.

According to David Wolfe it also helps to rid the body to mercury. If you have, or have had fillings msm would be a great supplement. Do a google search, or look him up on youtube because I know he’s done a lot of research on msm. Especially if you don’t have much time on your hands go to http://thebestdayever.com/thebestd/index.php . You can read some of the articles even if you’re not a member.

Here’s a good article: http://www.msmforless.com/benefits_msm.htm

• Here’s some good info on MSM.. www.falconblanco.com/health/msm/faq.html

• JUICY writes about pill form…I got some a few months back did not really use it. Should I is that a good form to take it in?????

How much msm should you have a day???

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

1/2 to 1 tsp daily

• What is it?

Thanks humanimal!!

• I love MSM. Ever since I’ve been taking it my hair and nails grow like crazy and my skin is so clear!.. I take a tablespoon in my lemon water first thing in the morning. I sent some to my parents and they went ballistic over it. Now my whole family takes it in their morning water with lemon. After 2 days my mom felt a difference in her joints. my dad has more energy to work out, my aunt’s head aches stopped after 1 day! My granddad can tell a difference when he plays golf! I always have to go to the herb shop out here in CA and buy a big bag of MSM to send to Georgia… I feel like a you know what dealer! LOL.. My mom can’t find it in powder form where she lives.

• again,any thought about the pill form. When I did take it I crushed the pill so it was not so big and solid.
    Also,any side effects????other than good ones?

• My mom at first used more then a tsp and she had indigestion but then she cut it back to half a tsp and worked her way up. other then that no bad side effects..

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Wow! I’ve heard so many great things about MSM. I think I’m going to get some tomorrow. My hair is currently lifeless, dull, brittle, and extremely dry. My scalp and overall skin is rather dry. Yes, you can argue that I don’t drink enough water or maybe its the essential fats, I don’t know. I am and have incorperated all that into my diet but my hair and skin condition isn’t getting any much better. HOPEFULLY, this will be the solution! We’ll see. I’ll post if I notice any miracles!

• Samilicious def. try MSM but also add some coconut oil to your skin and hair as well as eating .I think its just wonderful.

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Thank you! I do use coconut oil and it does help but I wish my skin would be naturally soft and smooth without using it. I can’t wait to try MSM! By the way, what does it stand for?

• MSM is Methyl Sulfonyl Methane, or an organic form of sulfur. Not only is it the third most important mineral in the body, it also helps detoxify and increase blood flow.

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Mham,

I take it in capsule form which was recommended to me as being as good as powder. The tablets ( if that is what you ahve been using are to tough to digest and assimilate. If I don’t take it with food I have some gastrointestinal distress. But I’ve just started it. And altho’ I’m taking it for joint stuff in the last three days I’ve noticed my skin is SO soft.And I have always has crazy dry skin especially on my legs!! Whoot Whoot!

• I’ve read such wonderful things about MSM lately and want to begin taking it in the morning. My question is..if I purchase a powder will it dissolve in a glass of water that I drink first thing in the morning upon rising? Or do I need to buy liquid? Do you take Vit C along with the MSM? One last question, any brand of MSM that I should use as opposed to another? Thanks!!

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

MSM is the only supplement that I take that isn’t from a raw food source. I take it daily for detox. I take a veg/cap but used to take the powder in smoothies. The taste is bitter and if that doesn’t appeal to you, caps are easier to swallow.

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

Is there a more reputable brand of MSM? I'd like powder form.

And I live in France, so UK or other European country would be best..

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

This was a great thread to revive, thanks. I have decided to order some of this and see if I like the results. I am already pretty good at getting some of the sulfur rich foods like red peppers, broccoli and brussel sprouts but maybe I'll see the hair and skin benefits. My husband could use the pain & mobility relief from too many years of (abuse really) basketball/football.

Not ignoring your request Carnap but mine is from US and dont know if I'd recommend yet anyhow.

Happy V day to all!

• wow after reading these posts i would really like to get some msm. what's a good usa brand for buying online?

I ended up picking the powered form from Nature's Purest. Seems good. Certified 99.4 something, something pure. I guess you have to pay attention to fillers. Some use metals! Good grief.

Hopefully any current users will add their recommendations.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Gratefultobe --

Do you have any results to report at this point? How's your husband's pain, and even more importantly his mobility? What about skin tone?

emtpdmom, I wish I did. He is having the same trouble as before. He limps quite a bit especially after sitting awhile and is clearly in pain too. He's only 47 and will probably get a knee replacement somewhere down the road, torn achilles, etc. This morning I asked him if he had been taking the msm regularly since having it and he said he took it once. So, please give it a try if there is someone (maybe yourself) you think would benefit. He's just not real interested in change and the big ol bottle of hydrocodone on the counter doesnt even seem to be incentive. I'm sorry if I come across unsympathetic. Its been many years of doing the opposite of what I suggest despite my intentions of helping him lead a easier more active life. I see him just paying a higher price year after year. He still plays basketball & football and I DONT GET IT. If he does start and I see any improvement I promise to let you know.

I thought I'd give it a go to see if I noticed any improvements in hair or nails and so far no change. I do take it everyday and will continue and see how it gos.

Crazy, huh? Well thanks for asking and get the new pic of little cutie up if you get a chance. :)

• FeeFee Raw Master

Carnap - I got mine (powdered form) from rawliving.eu. Im in the uk and they are very good.

Fiona

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

I would rather re-revive this thread than to create another one on the same topic but I would like a place to post my results with this stuff. I am going to start taking this stuff tonight and am hoping that this is a great supplement for me. While being Raw myself, I am going to take this as a attempt to help with my hip bursitis. I have HORRIBLE pain in my hips due to an old job I had and am desperate to find something to help me. I was an avid runner of 5+ miles a day and now even 20 minutes on an elliptical hurt. With my Hip Bursitis I gained 30 pounds due to inactivity and going off a raw diet. Depression hit pretty hard after learning I could lead a active lifestyle. I was limping for a good 5 months. I am now back Raw...dropping the weight and becoming more and more active. I still run a mile followed by the bike. It kills my hips but it saves my sanity which is more important! I heard about this stuff on here so I thought I would l post about my experience with it and hopes it helps other people. I'll keep posting every other day or so and track whats going on!

Cheers!

I need MSM help please!!!

I recently bought 'Lifetime MSM 2500mg' to incorporate into my daily regimen and and am experiencing some side effects. I started taking it roughly a week ago and have been slowly been upping the dose. I am getting crazy bloating and gas. I know this is a side effect as I have done a good job at researching this stuff. What I have NOT come across is how long I may experience this side effect. Is this something that will indeed go away once I settle into a regular amount for a while. Do some people get these side effects indefinitely? If you have had some side effects and then later had success with it I would love to know. I feel this could be a great supplement for me but holy mother of god...I feel as if I have gained 10lbs!

Cheers!

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I gain water-weight the first twoish? weeks that I take it when I've been off a while. Right now, I feel very thick and my muscles look like blobs. I look like I gained 15 pounds. Should be calming down by the end of the week for me, but I think it depends on how long it takes your body to get used to the dosage, and how much of a detox it needs.

thanks....I am starting a juice cleanse today because I just cant deal with the excess bloating so I would rather make it as smooth as possible. I thought if I juiced for 3 (more if I have the discipline after the three days) days that would help with the detox AND the adjustment period! Hopefully it helps!